PDA

View Full Version : motor stopped

stanv77
03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I was carving a cribbage board when the motor on my machine quit. I did a little carve at the bottom of the board and it went to the center and prompted me to change the bit. Normally when the bit goes through its set up it spins the bit a lttle before it starts its setup. This time it did not. When it went back to carving the motor was not running. I am hoping that this problem is the motor and nothing else. I have not had time to change the motor. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the motor out of the machine. i would like to know that the motor is the problem before I order a new one.

Thanks for nay help

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
A few reasons....

The Right Side Cover Switch is loose or the hinge screw on the plastic cover are loose causing the right side Cut Motor Switch to not engage.

Brushes are too short... With 11 posts not likely.... 250 Cut Motor hours before replacement.

The Wires from the Right Side Cut Motor Switch have pulled apart.

The C1 on the X Termination Board has broken off one end.

Let us know....

AL

stanv77
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I changed the motor yesterday and I am back carving again. I didn't know what the hours were so I looked. The hours were 271 hrs so I guess it was expected. It suprized me that it happened so quick. I had a spare motor on hand so there was not much down time. Now I guess I should a new motor to have on hand again. I should learn how to post pictures and show some my projects. Maybe today or topmorrow.

lynnfrwd
03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
We would love to see some photos!!!

stanv77
03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I have posted some pictures on the customer gallery site about a year ago

Digitalwoodshop
03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
At 271 Hours then the Cut Motor just needs new brushes...... A $10.00 fix....

A good time to open the cover and blow the sawdust out of the Cut Motor.

With 13 posts I never expected 271 Cut Motor Hours..... Gooooooood Job !!!!!

Not everyone is a Motor Mouth Poster like ME...

AL

stanv77
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
The only time I have posted anything is when I have a problem that I cann't figure out myself. Do you get the brushes from LHR or some where else? And also is there a way to test the motor before putting it back in the machine?If I can get this motor fixed with just brushes it will be a cheap fix. When I bought my machine I had nothing but trouble with it. I went through three machines in a year and half. Then I had trouble with the QC . I have know idea how many times that I replace the QC. I finally got fed up with the problems . A friend and myself made a chuck on his lathe and have very little trouble sense. We made my chuck before I knew anything about the ROCK.I will take some pictures someday and post them.