PDA

View Full Version : Vertical guide breaking broke, Only used it 4 times. ?

MEISTER
03-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I've only got about 3-4 tests runs out of my machine and the screw that holds the vertical bearing in broke. I'm kind of pissed because I'm in the middle of making some plaques for a customer and waisted a large piece of wood.

Anyone ever seen this?

Anyone know where to get these parts?

http://meistergaugefaces.com/vortex_logos/CW_1.jpg

http://meistergaugefaces.com/vortex_logos/CW_2.jpg

DocWheeler
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
MEISTER,

Sorry that you had this problem, but it seams that we have all had them at some point. Since this one is a fairly easy fix, it is a good initiation into "repairing my CW".

The screws are soft, it could have been "overtightened" had a bad "bump" in shipping, or about any other cause.

If you can get the screw out, just buy another screw from a hardware store, otherwise order a roller or two (of each type for future use) from LHR and install according to the instructions in a pdf (there are pdfs for both the Y and Z trucks).

MEISTER
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Where do you orders those bearing? I'd got out and get a new screw, but it is broken off inside the bearing.

DocWheeler
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Meister,

If you can't drill-out the broken screw then you will have to order the non-eccentric bearing from LHR. I'm at work now, go to the CarveWright home page and get their phone number.

The bearings/rollers on the right side are eccentric (needed to create the tightness to the tracks), the one you show has the hole centered.

atauer
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Gentlemen,

Our phone system is currently down. But, our technicians will still be able to assist by email.

software support
software@carvewright.com

hardware support
support@carvewright.com

sales
sales@carvewright.com

Simply email the appropriate department and the techs will get you taken care of.

MEISTER
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Meister,

If you can't drill-out the broken screw then you will have to order the non-eccentric bearing from LHR. I'm at work now, go to the CarveWright home page and get their phone number.

The bearings/rollers on the right side are eccentric (needed to create the tightness to the tracks), the one you show has the hole centered.

I'll try to drill it out. I have a set of those easy out bit removers. But If you look at the picture above, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to drill it out with out damaging the threads or bearing.

Gentlemen,

Our phone system is currently down. But, our technicians will still be able to assist by email.

software support
software@carvewright.com

hardware support
support@carvewright.com

sales
sales@carvewright.com

Simply email the appropriate department and the techs will get you taken care of.

Yes, I contacted them yesterday. Still no reply. Just thought I'd jump the gun and ask users that might have had this issue before.

MEISTER
03-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Gentlemen,

They said I have to call. The phone lines are still down.

liquidguitars
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Can you drill it? I have one i like to reuse 2..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2010, 03:14 PM
When you order them..... Order one center drilled that broke and order 2 Eccentric Drilled bearings.... And SCREWS..... Small investment if you snap them later... Order Sand Paper Belts too.... Save on Shipping later.... And Cut Motor Brushes for that 250 Cut Motor Hour change out.... Save on Shipping now....

You will need to loosen the right side to open the gap to remove the Z Truck in order to tighten the new bearing... I tried to do it once with a screwdriver while it was still on and ripped the plastic cover off the bearing....

Remember to hold the screw and turn the wrench.... The screws strip easily... And when tightening them.... Too tight and they snap.... Too loose and they open by them selves and you get bad carvings.

You might need to heat the Stud on the broken one... Lock Tite....

You need a Thin wrench for the Right Side.... A Bike Shop has them... My wrench came from my HVLP Sprayer.

AL

MEISTER
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
They actually called me! I am impressed. They saw this thread and responded pretty quick. However I didn't see these last posts until after I ordered. Next time I will order all the consumables mentioned above.

Thanks for everyone's help.