PDA

View Full Version : Board thickness issue

Gene
02-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I am a little upset. I am having a problem, been through the manual and can't find out the name of the part causing the problem. Can someone help me out.

When the machine is measuring the thickness of the board, the part that flips out for the cutter head to calabrate doesn't come out far enough for the bit to contact... and I am getting no error message.

Any know what is wrong and how to correct it?

c6craig
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I am a little upset. I am having a problem, been through the manual and can't find out the name of the part causing the problem. Can someone help me out.

When the machine is measuring the thickness of the board, the part that flips out for the cutter head to calabrate doesn't come out far enough for the bit to contact... and I am getting no error message.

Not sure which piece you are talking about. The part that flips out is for the bit touch, it is called the bit plate. That is used to measure to the tip of the bit. It not coming all the way out is a common problem and can usually be fixed by spraying it out with air real good, and adding a couple drops of wd40 or 3-in-1 oil on the spring.

Hope that helps.

Craig

mtylerfl
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Clean and lube as suggested, but also check that the wires tucked in the right back corner are not preventing the z-truck from going over to the right all the way. Make sure the truck isn't hitting anything (like those wires). It has to physically flip the plate out, and must have no interference. (That part does not take board thickness measurements - it records how far the bit is sticking out from the QC.)

Another (temporary) fix is to simply wedge a piece of foam to manually stick the plate out all the way, to get you going for now. Finding the problem and making corrections is a better way to go.

c6craig
02-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Ah yes, good catch MT, forgot about that one...

Craig

Gene
02-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Craig!!!

Loks like the 3 in 1 worked. Bought the 3 in 1 this morning but, wasn't sure if I should use it.

c6craig
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Good deal, glad it worked! Just make sure to wipe it down after so you don't drip it all down in your machine!

Happy Carving,
Craig

mtylerfl
02-28-2010, 03:04 PM
The 3-in-one is fine, and I am happy that was such a simple fix for you!

FYI - I have switched to using dry lube on the bit plate (and on the four vertical head posts too, for that matter).

I have found that the bit plate hinge keeps a little cleaner using dry lube. I believe it's because the 3-in-one oil tends to attract and hold more sawdust. However, one distinct advantage the oil has over a dry lube, is it provides rust protection if you have that problem in your area.

I had actually called the manufacturer of TDL (The Dry Lube) to check if their product provided rust protection. They said no, not at all.

If anyone knows of any dry lube available that does offer rust protection, please let us know!