PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out Plan Parts

Pat D
09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi All: I am new to this forum and am trying to decide whether to purchase this machine or not. In addition to using the amazing carving features I would like to program in some parts from some plans to be cut out using the carvewright. Is this machine powerful enough to do repeated cutouts and will the cutting bits last, or is this too much of a load to put on the machine? I am not talking hundreds of parts at a time but more likely a few dozen at a time and only the more intricate detailed parts to get more consistency in their production. I mainly use 3/4" oak or walnut.
Thanks,
Pat

Ron Baird
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Pat
This M/C is lots powerful and can run for hours at a time in any kind of conditions. It is very accurate and is ideal for those repeditive boaring jobs. I have at least 50 hours on my carving tip and have carved all kinds of wood. The carving tip shows no signs of wear or deterioration. The larger router bits put the most strain on the M/C and it has no trouble with them. The biggest challenge will be programming and designing the parts, soif your up for a challenge go for it. The Carvewright Team is very helpful if you have any problems and are striving to make thier M/C the best. I hope this helps you.
Ron Baird

Dan-Woodman
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I for one would look at this in a different light. For cutting out parts it uses the 1/8" spiral endmill with a 1" cutting length. I personally don't think this bit is strong enough to be cutting oak very thick. I believe it is programed to cut .063 at a time , and the 1" cutting depth is too much for a 1/8" bit if the wood is very hard. What I have done however is let it make one pass on the park for an outline or pattern and then use a scroll saw.

Jeff
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I cut 40 feet from a simple design that my wife came up with. I ganged them eight on a strip by designing the first one and making copies. The second pic are some of the simple feet. The first is of the fancy carved feet.

Paul has made a bunch of rosettes on a single strip of wood.

Jeff

Dan-Woodman
09-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Jeff
Did you cut these out on the cw? If so which bit did you use?

Jeff
09-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Dan,

I cut all of the feet out on the CW. The shafts were done on a Legacy ornamental mill. The one who dies with the most toys... :D

If you want details, shoot me an email. jnsloantx@yahoo.com

Jeff

Dan-Woodman
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
thanks jeff what diametor bit did you use?

Jeff
09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
thanks jeff what diametor bit did you use?

Cutting out the feet, 1/8" cutting bit
carving the fancy feet, 1/16" carving bit
Rounding over the shafts of the simple holders, 1.5" round over
barley twist on fancy ones, 1.5" barley twist bit

Jeff