PDA

View Full Version : QC Self Destructed

c6craig
02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi All,

41 Hours, well maintained machine. The quick chuck was moving up and down smoothly when I switched bits out. Last carve I did was about 2 hours in, went to swap bits and the QC basically came apart in my hand. It lifted up with no trouble and the bit came out with no trouble, but when it came back down it just fell apart. As you can see in the pics, the QC just came off in my hand, and dropped BB's and what looks to be a small set screw all over.

The kick in the low place is that I just received a couple new bits from Ron for my Rock Chuck today, sure wish I would have added another Rock Chuck to that order.

I have the old QC from swapping out to the Rock on my other machine, so I will try to replace it with that one for now. Not a shot to LHR, but seriously, how about some quality control here? 41 hour failure on this machine, 35 or so hour failure on another machine....

Craig

PCW
02-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Craig,

Lucky it came apart during a bit change.

c6craig
02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Craig,

Lucky it came apart during a bit change.

True, and not the end of the world either way. A few deep breaths and a cold beverage and I'm over it. I just finished swapping another Quick Chuck back onto it, so at least it's back in working order until I can order another Rock Chuck.

Life goes on, still pees me off though...:)

Craig

eelamb
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Craig is the QC you installed the one you mentioned earlier that eats the bit adapters? As you stated then must be a bad lot. Where does the set screw go? Any ideal, for I was wondering how the QC was put together.

c6craig
02-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Eddie,

No, I haven't really had any problems with the bit adapters. My first QC just jammed solid (even though I kept it clean and used 3-in-1 oil) and this one just basically fell apart.

Since you were curious and this QC is hosed anyway, I tore it the rest of the way apart so you could see how it was put together :cool:

Between the pictures you can get an idea of how this thing goes together. It kind of looks like the set screw holds the collar to the chuck. I can only see one way for it to go in and that would be all it's good for there.

Enjoy...

Craig

eelamb
02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Is the retaining ring broken? Looks like that is how it is held together, but that would only be the case if the ring is broken.

c6craig
02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Is the retaining ring broken? Looks like that is how it is held together, but that would only be the case if the ring is broken.

Do you mean the two little half moon clips I show to the sides? I don't think they are broken, I think they are made in two halves like that, but I'm not sure. Looking at it closely I don't see how it could have broken so cleanly and evenly. The ends are perfectly straight like they were made that way and meant to insert from the two sides.

Craig

gumbo
02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
I too had a QC self destruct but for me it was during a carve. I had noticed it getting hard to remove the bits, decided I was going to in the near future buy a rock chuck, I was waiting for after the xmax holiday to buy one. Well about half way through a two hour carve I heard the machine sound change went over to it and found the bit had fallen out and the chuck was in pieces. Ordered the rockchuck a few weeks earlier than I intended, but am I happy. Don't even get me going about quality control at carvewright, I have had nothiing but problems with them every time I need to call. They can't even take an order right.

c6craig
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I too had a QC self destruct but for me it was during a carve. I had noticed it getting hard to remove the bits, decided I was going to in the near future buy a rock chuck, I was waiting for after the xmax holiday to buy one. Well about half way through a two hour carve I heard the machine sound change went over to it and found the bit had fallen out and the chuck was in pieces. Ordered the rockchuck a few weeks earlier than I intended, but am I happy. Don't even get me going about quality control at carvewright, I have had nothiing but problems with them every time I need to call. They can't even take an order right.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have had nothing but good experiences with all the staff at LHR. The support was very helpful and friendly and they have always gotten my orders right, even gotten expedited shipping correct many times.

My only problem is that I really think they need better actual quality control. Well maintained parts should not be failing so regularly. I also do not think they check parts they send for repairs, as I have had repair parts shipped to me that didn't even work. When you send a repair part or even a new part, it should be a "known good" unit. Last time I had to send in multiple parts (Controller, Power supply, X Term Board) just so they could see which one they sent me was bad. I have seen the same things posted specifically about the memory cards and readers.

Craig

gumbo
02-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I had what turned out to be a power suply problem, in the process of diagnosing the problem a tech wanted me to tighten the y belt but what he told me really didn't sound right but I did what he said thinking he knew what he was talking about. He told me there should be very little if any play in the belt when pressed, I told him it did deflect so I was instructed to tighten it, needless to say about 10 carve hours later thebearings on the y motor gear box went. Long story short they made good on the motor but sent me a "refirbished" motor which sounded worse than te on with the bad bearings. After some bickering they sent me another motor which seems to be fine. I do question th "refirbished" term because my machine is refirbished and found too many issues to mention that would have been found if someone knowing what they are doing should have been found and corrected. My machine has striped screw heads the guide rods were all soose one of the bolts was even off and rattling around the bottom of the machine the head was off from side to sied wires were broken etc. I am very dissapointed with ie quality of merchandise that is comming from this company but I love the machine so I am trying to live with it.

Please excuse my rant but after months of troubles it feels good to tell others what I am feeling.