PDA

View Full Version : Spring Wreath - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Spring Wreath". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Spring Wreath represents a time of renewal and gives your guests an exceptional and cheerful welcome when displayed in your foyer or hung on your front door!

This project features a fusion of spring flowers and leaves along with a scroll-type banner design. The finished, assembled wreath is about 17" in diameter x 1½" thick.

The project requires the two bits that came with your machine, plus a 60° V-Bit to run the project as it is designed. NOTE: You must own the CarveWright Centerline Option for the “Welcome” text, or you can use the included "ALTERNATE_Banner_Scroll.mpc" instead, if you don't own a V-bit or the Centerline feature.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• TOP_Spring_Wreath.mpc
• BOTTOM_Spring_Wreath.mpc
• Banner_Scroll.mpc
• ALTERNATE_Banner_Scroll.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Top and Bottom: .75" x 11" x 25" (two)
Banner: .75" x 8" x 25" (one)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) 1" long # 6 Wood Screws (two)

4) Sandpaper, wood glue, CA wood adhesive, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) Black Chancery font (free)
Available from free font websites such as
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/black-chancery.htm

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Spring Wreath made from Select Pine wood:

Banner...
1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper
3) applied Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
4) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

Wreath...
1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
3) applied Minwax Ipswich Pine stain #221
4) hand-brushed Minwax Early American stain #230 on the leaves only
5) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

cnsranch
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
It's a beaut, Clark.

dcalvin4
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Michael looks real nice ,, What kind of carving time are we talking here?
thanks
denny

mtylerfl
02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Michael looks real nice ,, What kind of carving time are we talking here?
thanks
denny

Thanks, Denny. On 'BEST' setting, the total time for all three components (wreath halves and banner) is about 7 hours.

I carved my own wreath halves on 'OPTIMAL' and the banner on 'BEST'. My total time was a little over 11 hours at those settings.

MCGEE2SKINNER
02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi
Looks great but my wife said it isn't spring until you see butterflys. I guess I will have to figure out how to put a butterfly on the welcome banner.
JIM

mtylerfl
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi
Looks great but my wife said it isn't spring until you see butterflys. I guess I will have to figure out how to put a butterfly on the welcome banner.
JIM

Thanks, Jim.

That sounds like a great way to customize the project - adding butterflies. Creative idea! I can't wait to see what other folks will come up with, too!

RayTrek
03-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Michael,
I am so impressed with your project ideas, design quality and documented how a master - crafts such wonderful wood projects, Priceless! 
Thank you for another great one, spring is in the air here in Oregon.
Cheers ~ Ray

chebytrk
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Jim.

That sounds like a great way to customize the project - adding butterflies. Creative idea! I can't wait to see what other folks will come up with, too!

Hey Michael can you please tell me what type of dremel bit that is that you show in the Springwreath POM PDF document in Fig 3c? Can you tell me about it? I'm interested in perhaps maybe purchasing one for my dremel if you can tell me where you purchased it and perhaps even the stock number (if you have it). Thank you sir!

mtylerfl
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Hey Michael can you please tell me what type of dremel bit that is that you show in the Springwreath POM PDF document in Fig 3c? Can you tell me about it? I'm interested in perhaps maybe purchasing one for my dremel if you can tell me where you purchased it and perhaps even the stock number (if you have it). Thank you sir!

Hi Jerry,

That bit is manufactured by Saburr Tooth and a list of dealers is on the following webpage:
http://www.saburr-tooth.com/locateDealer.htm

Funny, the place I got my Saburr bits from is not listed as one of their dealers for some reason, but they had a complete selection on display when I bought mine from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta, GA. Their phone number is 1-800-241-6748. Their website is www.highlandwoodworking.com (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com)

I just checked the Highland website and they list the bit shanks as 3/32 instead of 1/8 in their product description - it looks like they just round-up the 3/32 and call them a 1/8" shank, when you place it in the shopping cart. I just measured the shanks on mine and it could go either way - too close to call, but they will fit in your Dremel, no problem. On Highland's website, they don't use the Saburr numbers, but here is a link where you can simply choose the size and grit (yellow is 'fine' - green is 'coarse') and the right one will show up:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/saburr-tooth-carbide-burrs-332-shank.aspx

That particular bit in fig. 3c is a 1/8"(?) shank Taper 7/8" long yellow fine burr, Saburr part # 18T18

I also have the 1/8"(?)-shank 1/4" diameter ball Sphere yellow fine burr, Saburr part #18S14 and the 1/8"(?)-shank 1/4" Taper yellow fine burr, Saburr part #18T14.

Hope that helps!

CarverJerry
03-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Michael, I have a question I've never asked or tried. You used both the best setting and the optimal settings. Just what is the difference between the two? thanks

mtylerfl
03-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Michael, I have a question I've never asked or tried. You used both the best setting and the optimal settings. Just what is the difference between the two? thanks

The Optimal setting has the machine make more passes over the carving and is a little "gentler" on each pass. It reduces chip-out on thinner and/or delicate areas of a carving and the result is fewer "fuzzies" to deal with when prepping for finishing. In other words, overall quality is improved.

The Best setting usually takes approximately half as long as the Optimal setting, and I use it whenever I can. On finely detailed carvings, or carvings with raster lettering that I fear could be prone to chip-out, I'll go with Optimal. (I never use Draft or Normal settings.)

jpeter14
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Hello Michael, When I load the banner the "L" does not have the bottom part that wraps around the bottom of the "C". Was wondering if it will carve even though it doesn't show up in designer?

jpeter14
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Thought I should include some pictures, the first one is Michael's , the second one is from my designer. I am using 1.161,

dbfletcher
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like there is an issue with the right side of your "W" as well.

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Looks Like - also with the right side of the "M" http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

liquidguitars
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Another winner on the POM! way to go Michael..

LG

cnsranch
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
re the problem with the text - I don't have the POM, but it looks like a depth setting issue - or is that a font that you need to have in your computer to work correctly?

DocWheeler
03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
It appears to be a software problem to me, the letters stop wherever another letter "space" is present.

jpeter, what version of the software are you using?

mtylerfl
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Hello Michael, When I load the banner the "L" does not have the bottom part that wraps around the bottom of the "C". Was wondering if it will carve even though it doesn't show up in designer?

Hello,

That is really odd - no, I don't think it will carve correctly. (I saw your photos, too - thank you for including them). I'll contact CarveWright and see if they know of any reason why the 1.161 is displaying incorrectly.

alan.galbraith
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Could it have anything to do with having the Centerline or not?

mtylerfl
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Another winner on the POM! way to go Michael..

LG

Thanks LG! I actually had two folks call me today saying how much they like it! Made my day!

cmorlier
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
We just tested this on version 1.161 and it worked on our computer.

What OS are you using?

Also, it is possible that it is a corrupted font. The font didn't exist on my computer, so I had to download it from http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Black_Chancery.htm. You might try reinstalling the font.

MCGEE2SKINNER
03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Michael
Carved the pom today love it. But the flowers don't seem very defined.
I'm hoping they will show up a little better after the stain.
JIM

mtylerfl
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi Michael
Carved the pom today love it. But the flowers don't seem very defined.
I'm hoping they will show up a little better after the stain.
JIM

Hi Jim,

Just curious - what quality setting did you choose when uploading the wreath sections? I carved my own wreath sections on Optimal - I did not test-carve the wreath on Best setting (although I did carve the Banner section on Best).

Hopefully the flowers will "pop" when you apply your stain. It is a low relief design (intentionally), but you certainly should see some definition after finishing.

Please post a photo when you're all done!

MCGEE2SKINNER
03-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Michael
I carved the flowers in optimal and the banner in best. I'm sure when I stain them they will come out great
Thanks JIM

Hexe SA
08-18-2010, 01:06 PM
38071Finally turned the UFO into a finshed one.
Eva

bayea
08-12-2011, 10:45 PM
I purchased the spring wreath and am having the font problem.. . .
i am running Mac os X
Designer 1.179
i have reinstalled black chancery.
if i open designer to a new project, use the text tool, type welcome, select black chancery everything looks great until i change the arc degree 1 degree and the text messes up, like below.
whats going on and how do i fix it?

Kenm810
08-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I tried it with Designer 1.79 on my Pc and it worked,
could you post a photo or screen shot of what it looks like messes up.
Maybe someone with a Mac could try it to see what happens.

bayea
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
the first pict is when i first open the project
the second pict is when i change the arc to 0 degrees.

46554 46553

Kenm810
08-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I tried 10 different ways to duplicate your problem --- but couldn't.
I also noted some clipping of a few of the Letters, by chance were you trying to modify
the text that was part of the pattern -- or just add text to a blank scroll on the pattern?

bayea
08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
is sounds like the problem is that i am on a mac. i am not using windows.

bayea
08-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I turns out that there is a software bug in project designer on the mac side. :-/

guido5286
05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey everyone I just bought this project and was very surprised that when I opened it the font was a lot different than the picture on the website. Not too happy about that either. I paid for what I saw and got something else. You should update the pictures on the website to represent what we are getting.

jmoriearty
05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Open up the PDF instructions. Fonts are something that you have to download yourself and register with Windows. They give the instructions for finding the font and installing it. It's actually a fantastic project and sells VERY well.

mtylerfl
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey everyone I just bought this project and was very surprised that when I opened it the font was a lot different than the picture on the website. Not too happy about that either. I paid for what I saw and got something else. You should update the pictures on the website to represent what we are getting.

Hi Guido,

As already mentioned, there is no misrepresentation of the product whatsoever...you just need to download and install the font if you don't have it on your computer. I promise, all will be well after you view the instructions included with the project. (Item #5 on the first page of the instructions).

Please holler if you have any other questions or need help with anything else.

AlBCuttnWud
10-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Can the banner scroll be purchased separately or do I have to purchase the wreath too? I just need this banner and don't seem to be able to find alone…. TIA