PDA

View Full Version : new 1.161

oldjoe
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Anybody downloaded and tried the new 1.161 software upgrade??

fwharris
02-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Have not down loaded it yet but this is the change log:

### (IV) Release Notes ############################

19 Feb 2010 -- Differences between versions 1.160 and 1.153
* Added manual X Axis distance calibration to the firmware
* Added manual Y Axis offset calibration to the firmware
* Added spline control points
* Added new "Toggle Non-Endpoints" tool to highlight un-connected vertices
* Added speech box support
* Improved maximum Y Axis raster resolution
* Replaced "Change Form" and "Make Spline" tools with "Change to Line",
"Change to Arc", and "Change to Spline" tools.
* Fixed crash when dragging multiple items in the Carving List
* Fixed crash on attempting to copy
* Fixed occasional crash when compiling projects with cuts or insets paths
* Fixed problems compiling thin boards with cut-throughs
* Fixed re-homing bug which caused offsets in Y position of project
* Fixed "Save As" nameing bug in the Pattern Editor

Looks like some good fixes!!

robbrigg2
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM

I've downloaded it but will take a few days to get around to the changes... I did go to LHR yestarday and found out soon and very soon we will be having a new size bit (3/16) with increased cutting speed and more... good things coming

fwharris
02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I've downloaded it but will take a few days to get around to the changes... I did go to LHR yestarday and found out soon and very soon we will be having a new size bit (3/16) with increased cutting speed and more... good things coming

Rob,

Good info! Any news on the chuck upgrade?

I just did the down load (20 min @ 65kb/sec) and doing install now..

OldChipMaker
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I have just downloaded and installed the new release of the software. Will put it thru its paces when time allows. I noted that the software manual has NOT been updated; one would think that a newer veraion of the manual, reflecting the software changes, would be available.

robbrigg2
02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Rob,

Good info! Any news on the chuck upgrade?

I just did the down load (20 min @ 65kb/sec) and doing install now..

Yes, they said it will be out by this summer along with that bit and the speed changes (if I understood it correctly).

fwharris
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, they said it will be out by this summer along with that bit and the speed changes (if I understood it correctly).

Rob,

Thanks for the info..

Well I just had my first crash while in the pattern editor. I was checking out my issues with the "save as " function of the name to showing correctly after the save.

I had the mpw open did some editing and saved as a new name. Closed it out and then opened the new mpw. In the file selection box the mpw name was what I changed it to. After opening it, file name at top was the original name..Just like it did before....

Following Jeff's advice I went to "edit - pattern settings" and bingO crashO !!!!!!

Same results on 3 attempts...:mad:

atauer
02-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Floyd,

I will look into the PE crash issue and will get with the engineers Monday. I just got it as well.

fwharris
02-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Floyd,

I will look into the PE crash issue and will get with the engineers Monday. I just got it as well.

Alex,

Thanks!!! I guess the good news is IT'S NOT JUST ME!!!:rolleyes:

Fardoche
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I downloaded and installed the new version but when a start the designer i'm still at 1.153 !

Do I have to uninstall previous version 1st ?

If I uninstall will I loose all my licences ?

PCW
02-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Francois

Try rebooting the computer and see if that helps.

Fardoche
02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Dan,

I did it and same result!

Thanks!

Francois

Try rebooting the computer and see if that helps.

PCW
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
You normally don't have to uninstall a previous version to install a new version. Seems like LHR always releases the updates on a Friday.

Maybe try renaming your old Carvewright directory to Carvewright_Old and try to reinstall the new version. I'm going to hold off for a few days before upgrading to see what others say.:mrgreen:

Fardoche
02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Ok Guys,

I uninstalled 1.153, and installed the ne 1.161.

It works now with all my ptn, licences, etc.

thanks for your help.

You normally don't have to uninstall a previous version to install a new version. Seems like LHR always releases the updates on a Friday.

Maybe try renaming your old Carvewright directory to Carvewright_Old and try to reinstall the new version. I'm going to hold off for a few days before upgrading to see what others say.:mrgreen:

chkorte
02-26-2010, 11:19 PM

I wish I had waited. I downloaded the new update and now I can't open ANYTHING. Every time I try I get a message that says "not a valid Win32 application" whatever that means. Tomorrow I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall using the CD disk.

lawrence
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
thanks for the updates all... I think I'll wait a few days (weeks) before I update....

Lawrence

Pratyeka
02-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Guys please, it's great to give feedback on the new version, but could you include what windows version you are running on? XP, Vista or 7... I'm sure that info can help.
Thanks.

PCW
02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall using the CD disk.

After the uninstall if you don't have the next to latest version 1.153 on CD you can download it at the links below.

Windows Version
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_153.exe

Mac Version
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_153.dmg

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2010, 07:43 AM
I downloaded and installed the new version but when a start the designer i'm still at 1.153 !

Do I have to uninstall previous version 1st ?

The only thing I can think of is if you chose an alternate installation location for you initial installation then the 1.161 installer probably did an install at the default location: C:\Program Files\CarveWright. You may have still had an icon on your desktop that pointed to the old installation.

I've done a fresh install on Windows 7 and an update on Windows XP without an issue (last night and this morning.)

I had the mpw open did some editing and saved as a new name. Closed it out and then opened the new mpw. In the file selection box the mpw name was what I changed it to. After opening it, file name at top was the original name..Just like it did before....

That is how it is supposed to work. The 'Pattern name' is not the same thing as the file name.

Following Jeff's advice I went to "edit - pattern settings" and bingO crashO !!!!!!

Did it open up the dialog at all?

twiceretired
02-27-2010, 09:43 AM
As soon as I saw the new update, I jumped right in with both feet. Down-loaded over ver. 1.153 and didn’t follow instructions to register. Opened 1.161 and had the trial version, went to manage licenses, signed in with LHR username and password, updated perfect, had all my programs, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Centerline. So far so good. Running windows Vista-64 while waiting to upgrade to windows-7.

fwharris
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Guys please, it's great to give feedback on the new version, but could you include what windows version you are running on? XP, Vista or 7... I'm sure that info can help.
Thanks.

XP PRO.....

fwharris
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:

That is how it is supposed to work. The 'Pattern name' is not the same thing as the file name.

I still can not get a grasp on that one! If I save the pattern as a new name and open the pattern with the new name it should show the new name not the old name. Is *.mpw or *.ptn a file and the * is the name of that type of file?

Quote:

Did it open up the dialog at all?

It went both ways. Some times it would open up the dialog box before giving me the crash and other it would crash as soon as I clicked on the "pattern settings" tab..

And operating system is XP PRO..

eelamb
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree with fwaharris, when you use the save as, you are giving the file a new name. Thus when you open the new file name, on the top it should show you the new file name, not the old file name. I may save it many times under a different version, and I, as well as many other do, we use the name on the top to decide what version we are working on.

fwharris
02-27-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree with fwaharris, when you use the save as, you are giving the file a new name. Thus when you open the new file name, on the top it should show you the new file name, not the old file name. I may save it many times under a different version, and I, as well as many other do, we use the name on the top to decide what version we are working on.

Thanks!!!!

CarverJerry
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Well, I thing I'm going to wait a while to download the new version as I want to buy a new computer with windows 7 and maybe by then some of the new problems will get worked out. I don't seem to have any problems with my version 1.153. (knock on Wood)

liquidguitars
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks!!!!

Not sure whats happening can you use "select by date in the window menu" this will move the newest file to the top or bottom of the q.

LG

liquidguitars
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I guess if your having protection issues Designer should be un installed first then installed did this fix the issue?

BTW I think you wil like the new tools in 1.160

LG

Kenm810
02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Auto installed over Ver. 1.53 in Windows 7 with no problem,
Just another little learning curve to look into.

Love all them pretty Dots :wink:

liquidguitars
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I think LHR did a excellent job with the new paths keeping to the simple look and feel of Designer's GUI at the same time adding extra control.

Good work LHR!

Auto installed over Veer. 1.53 in Windows 7 with no problem,
Just another little learning curve to look into.

I think some of the issues are user related. If you rename the master directory then install you will get into some protection issues, as a result you could have to delete the favorites directory in your users directory. To be safe I think I would recommend to "copy" as the backup and not rename the install directory.
LG

fwharris
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Not sure whats happening can you use "select by date in the window menu" this will move the newest file to the top or bottom of the q.

LG

Yes I could do that or I just hold the mouse over the file (if I'm in the list or icon view) and it shows the same info. Not having an issue with what file I open, issue is with what PE shows that file (ptn/mpw) name is after I open it up...

I can do a visiual if that helps....

liquidguitars
02-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I can do a visiual if that helps....

yes please.

LG

fwharris
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
yes please.

LG

Ok...

First image is the original mpw, named dog frame.

Second is a screen shot of the file list for opening up "dog bowl". This is what I named it after I erased/deleted all areas in the dog frame to get just the bowl.

Last is what PE shows at the top for the name that is open..

Jeff_Birt
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
As I have mentioned before...a pattern's name IS NOT the same thing as its file name. When you do a 'Save As' you are changing the file name NOT the pattern name.

A patterns name is what is displayed in the top bar of Pattern Editor, the Favorites menu, and the carving list when you add a pattern to a board. It has always been this way. If you want to change the 'Pattern Name' you have to use the 'Pattern Settings' tool.

I'm not saying that it makes sense, or that it is the best or only way of doing things but it is how it has always been.

fwharris
02-27-2010, 02:25 PM
As I have mentioned before...a pattern's name IS NOT the same thing as its file name. When you do a 'Save As' you are changing the file name NOT the pattern name.

A patterns name is what is displayed in the top bar of Pattern Editor, the Favorites menu, and the carving list when you add a pattern to a board. It has always been this way. If you want to change the 'Pattern Name' you have to use the 'Pattern Settings' tool.

I'm not saying that it makes sense, or that it is the best or only way of doing things but it is how it has always been.

Jeff,

I agree with your bottom line 100%!!! :)
But with 1.161 I can not even do the change to "pattern settings" :(

I would think it would work the same way designer does with resaving an MPC with a new name. When you open up the new MPC it shows with the new saved name.. but like you said "that is how it is"

Thanks!!! :)

chkorte
02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I wish I had waited. I downloaded the new update and now I can't open ANYTHING. Every time I try I get a message that says "not a valid Win32 application" whatever that means. Tomorrow I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall using the CD disk.

Well I’m not sure how but I was successful! I un-installed Carvewright from my computer (VISTA) and then re-installed Designer 1.153. It installed with no problems and I even still have all the favorites I had put in the pattern tool. All my licenses are still there and I can open my saved projects. I then bravely decided to install the 1.161 update again. I clicked on the install and it went smoothly with no problems. I don’t know what happened yesterday but I will give LHR the benefit of the doubt and say I probably screwed up the install! I haven’t had time to use it yet but will get to it tomorrow.

Fardoche
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I have lost the "Cal belt" on my machine is this normal ??

Have not down loaded it yet but this is the change log:

### (IV) Release Notes ############################

19 Feb 2010 -- Differences between versions 1.160 and 1.153
* Added manual X Axis distance calibration to the firmware
* Added manual Y Axis offset calibration to the firmware
* Added spline control points
* Added new "Toggle Non-Endpoints" tool to highlight un-connected vertices
* Added speech box support
* Improved maximum Y Axis raster resolution
* Replaced "Change Form" and "Make Spline" tools with "Change to Line",
"Change to Arc", and "Change to Spline" tools.
* Fixed crash when dragging multiple items in the Carving List
* Fixed crash on attempting to copy
* Fixed occasional crash when compiling projects with cuts or insets paths
* Fixed problems compiling thin boards with cut-throughs
* Fixed re-homing bug which caused offsets in Y position of project
* Fixed "Save As" nameing bug in the Pattern Editor

Looks like some good fixes!!

fwharris
02-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I have lost the "Cal belt" on my machine is this normal ??

Not sure what the Cal Belt is??

And "no" probably not normal...

Fardoche
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
In the user's options...Calibrate Offset....Calibrate Belt......:)

Not sure what the Cal Belt is??

And "no" probably not normal...

fwharris
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
In the user's options...Calibrate Offset....Calibrate Belt......:)

Okey!!!

I think that is to calibrate the X movement.

liquidguitars
02-27-2010, 05:54 PM
The old "Cal belt" has been replaced with manual x cal and manual y cal, now you get to choose a measurement between the factory calibration and a changed version.

I used the x cal and like it a lot better, I going to try the new y cal soon to see if i can get two units measuring the same without moving the stop fence.

LG

Lin
02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Has the issue when using centerline been taken care of in the new download? I'm speaking of the way the spindle stops and starts over and over again during the cut? I have steered away from using CL thinking that when the next update was released it would be taken care of but I don't see it on the list.
Lin

liquidguitars
02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Lin,

That's normal i think no reasion to worry..

LG

Lin
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I asked because it didn't use to do that in versions prior. Just seems like it will be hard on the spindle motor continously starting and stopping between each move and each letter. I sorta thought that it would be looked into after Al brought it up here on the forum.
Just my thoughts.
Lin

flyingemt
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Downloaded and installed today, no issues to report. Currently running a 4 hour carve, seems to be doing fine. :)

pkunk
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Caution on 1.611.... There's a problem with it running the bit too slow.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=122873#post122873 (http://forum.carvewright.com/../showthread.php?p=122873#post122873)
Supposed to be fixed soon.