PDA

View Full Version : outline problem

mrstevens26
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
trying to carve out some chair backs that i scanned w/ the probe. I have already carved 4 of the same projects, and all was great. I now have to carve 2 more of the same project to get the number of backs that i need to finish restoring these chairs. In the project i have the chair back slats that are three horizontal slats when installed in chair. The slats have three cutouts within the center of the slats. The slats are 3/8" thick when finished. My method of carving these slats have been: using a 3/4" board with plenty of length(i use 9 inches instead of 7 extra), and plenty of width(usually i add 1/2" to the width). I let it carve and do its thing and has done fine. I have it outlining all the edges to square them up and to add some depth to gain some thickness to the slats. After they finished carving i took the board back to the planer, flip it face down and plane it till the outline grooves are paper thin and use an xacto knife to trim them out. But after ruining about 5 boards, the outlining starts to outline and does fine for a while but then one it gets to the center of the carving it is like it loses it place and runs the outline into the carving. its like it loses it measurement of about 3/8" and stays off the rest of the way. if this makes any sense please help!

mtylerfl
02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
... its like it loses it measurement of about 3/8" and stays off the rest of the way. if this makes any sense please help!

Hello,

Sounds like a possible board tracking issue. I wrote a Tips & Tricks article that has a few things you can check to determine if you are experiencing tracking problems and how to avoid them.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb_2010.pdf

I hope that helps you nail down the problem.

EDIT: By the way, the longer the board, the greater potential for tracking issues - try to keep your boards closer to the extra 7" as you can. (You mentioned you had 9" extra.)

AskBud
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
trying to carve out some chair backs that i scanned w/ the probe. I have already carved 4 of the same projects, and all was great. I now have to carve 2 more of the same project to get the number of backs that i need to finish restoring these chairs. In the project i have the chair back slats that are three horizontal slats when installed in chair. The slats have three cutouts within the center of the slats. The slats are 3/8" thick when finished. My method of carving these slats have been: using a 3/4" board with plenty of length(i use 9 inches instead of 7 extra), and plenty of width(usually i add 1/2" to the width). I let it carve and do its thing and has done fine. I have it outlining all the edges to square them up and to add some depth to gain some thickness to the slats. After they finished carving i took the board back to the planer, flip it face down and plane it till the outline grooves are paper thin and use an xacto knife to trim them out. But after ruining about 5 boards, the outlining starts to outline and does fine for a while but then one it gets to the center of the carving it is like it loses it place and runs the outline into the carving. its like it loses it measurement of about 3/8" and stays off the rest of the way. if this makes any sense please help!
I'm guessing that the statement, above, about the planer has no bearing on your carving problem.

My guess would be either the machine needs cleaned of dust, or you need tape on the bottom of the board, where it contacts the Brass Roller.
Let us know if this helps.

If I'm incorrect, attach your MPC and photos of the ill-carved board.
AskBud

mrstevens26
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
no the planer has no bearing on the carving problem it was just part of the process that i take to get it to the desired thickness after carving

fwharris
02-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Does this happen on multipal tries or just this one?

If more that once then it could be the file on the card. Reformat the card and retry.

It could also be dust in the Y belt causing it to skip. Before dust collection I would see this sometimes on long carves.