PDA

View Full Version : 8 Hours of fun now none

grafixhenk
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Well I just bought the refurbished Carvewright on eBay and it was fun for 8 hours of carving time. Got the Z-axis error 309 and after contacting support they sent me the process of sorting out what was at fault. It looks like it is the head termination board ( I sure hope so) and now I will have to wait for a few days for a new one.

I sure hope this solves it since the machine that i bought has only a DOA warranty.

Wish me luck!

cnsranch
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Keep your chin up - you'll spend some dough getting it right, and it will take some time, but think of all the money you saved (we hope).

Be patient, it's more than worth it - best tool I ever bought.

grafixhenk
02-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I was hoping buying a refurb that came from Carvewright it should be OK

I have no problem spending some money to get it right as long as it works right. I would hate having to spend $50 for every 2 hours of carving, I can think of better hobbies.

Thanks

alan.galbraith
02-26-2010, 07:53 AM
If my math is correct, you bought it for $200? You might be getting what you pay for.

grafixhenk
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
$200? I wish more like $1,000 and refurbished by Carvewright. I would have bought 5 of them at $200 working or not!!

alan.galbraith
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
You said $50 for 2 hours of carving and you carved for 8 hours
8 / 2 = 4 * 50 = 200. My mistake. for $699 more you could buy a new one from Lowes. No shipping charges.

LHR take my hint

grafixhenk
03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Well got the parts in today, replaced the head termination board and the ribbon cable and still have the same problem. Z-axis error 309.

Any suggestions?

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Need to ask just because.....

Is it a new Z or OLD Z system?

There still could be some old 16 pin Z Systems out there....

Look at my pictures.... Be sure you have a 14 pin new Z system....

If you have a 16 pin and they sent you a 14 bin board and cable that could be a problem.... Unless they sent you 2 boards and a cable.... Both ends of the 14 pin cable.

Check and see if the encoder and power plug on the Z Motor are pushed in all the way?

See if the clear encoder wheel come loose from the shaft too.

What does your Z Encoder Data do? Options - Sensor Data - Z Data.... 0000 to start, move Z and numbers change. ????? Never Change?????

Let us know....

AL

grafixhenk
03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I has the new Z, 14 pin connector and the encoder wheel is fine.
I do get a reading when I move it up or down.

The whole thing does not do anything right now, when I go to the project menu and select a project, hit enter I get the Z-axis stall. No movement at all

liquidguitars
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
recheck the FCC cable and make sure the z truck can move freely.

LG

grafixhenk
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I checked and rechecked everything and still nothing. the truck moves freely and when powered up there is no difference in the resistance when moving up or down.

My thought was to send it in but is there a guarantee when repaired, this unit was refurbished by Carvewright with just a DOA warranty so what are my options.

TWOATLOW8
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Should have some resistance when powered up...

check your pm

grafixhenk
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
OK, contatced Carvewright again and they tell me I need to replace the Z motor assembly because the encoder is not working. Before I for over another $100 will this fix it

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
03-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Well.... It could be the FSC CABLE..... But you said you replaced it and the Z Numbers DO change so the data goes through the FSC Cable so most of the cable is good.... The Power wire is near the edge.... ???

As for no resistance..... NOT GOOD.....

SO.... Motor Bad? or Computer is BAD... computer has the Driver Transistors for the Motor.... Computer.... $300.00..... WOW.....

Anyone near you.... Swapping parts would be the best way to test all this stuff..... Where are you at?

No warranty so LHR will be making some money....

AL

grafixhenk
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Ok I bought a Z motor and installed it today. No luck same problem, the unit will not do anything. I am thinking of just giving up on this since support all will do is just sell me more parts I do not need. Z axis error 313!

dbfletcher
03-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok I bought a Z motor and installed it today. No luck same problem, the unit will not do anything. I am thinking of just giving up on this since support all will do is just sell me more parts I do not need. Z axis error 313!

Your first post mentioned you were getting a z axis error 309. And now you are getting a 313. I dont know what either of thoses actual error codes are, but it looks like it may not be the EXACT same problem. I know it is extremely frustrating.. perhaps the best solution would be to send it back to LHR and have them quote you the cost to fix.. then you could decide if it was worth putting more $$$ in to it or not.

Doug Fletcher

grafixhenk
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Your first post mentioned you were getting a z axis error 309. And now you are getting a 313. I dont know what either of thoses actual error codes are, but it looks like it may not be the EXACT same problem. I know it is extremely frustrating.. perhaps the best solution would be to send it back to LHR and have them quote you the cost to fix.. then you could decide if it was worth putting more $$$ in to it or not.

Doug Fletcher
The reason the codes have changed is due to the software update

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I am thinking that it could be the Servo Driver in the Computer box...

If anyone swaps out a computer box, I would be interested in the old computer box, paying you the core charge and shipping to me. I want to open one and play around with it.

AL

PCW
03-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I think I remember reading that LHR will test parts for you if you send them in. It can get pretty expensive replacing parts. I would email or give them a call.

Al,

Did you know that the Controller has a $100.00 Core?

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes, knew it was $100.00.... I believe a new one is $300.00....

I want to see if I can fix the Servo Drivers in one.... I believe that the servo drivers are the weak link... Based on my experience fixing electronics.... While at Sony I got pretty good fixing a servo controlled arm that was part of a printer for the WTDS label on the picture tube.

The World Tube Designation System Sticker is placed on the funnel of the tube by a servo arm. It was notorious for burning out the driver transistors going 24 hours a day for weeks....

When it broke and all the back up units broke, they had to have a person place the sticker as the CRT came into position and stopped at about 200 + per hour. I was a hero finding the fix..... The extra cooling fins I installed on the Transistor helped too....:mrgreen:

SO when I get time..., I want to open a computer and dissect it... Someday I might be able to offer cheaper fix for this problem.... that I believe is a blown transistor.

A good investment..... in the future.

There is a CRT / Electronic Recycling place near me.... I visited one day and was checking dates on the CRT's from when I was making the 17 inch Computer Monitor tubes... Didn't find any.

AL

PCW
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Al,

Maybe someone will come forward. Wish I had known that a couple of months ago.:D