PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Editor -- Where's The Beef

jerrbitt
02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
The last post I saw on the move to get a comprehensive manual about using the pattern editor was late last year. To my knowledge the only thing CW has done is use the help function to explain the toolbar.

The Tips and Trucks articles are fine but very limited. You are not going to become proficient with PE reading them.

I'm begining to think that the reason for the delay in getting a manual or in-depth tutorial, is they sell more patterns that way. Hey if we know how to make our own, we don't buy them right?

Just my humble opinion and that of someone who would like to learn PE but is limited in struggling with a lot of trial and error.

chebytrk
02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Obviously the persons that have "mastered" PE and Designer are the ones that make the patterns and post them in the store. I think they've taken the time (and heartaches) to learn the Software well and make quality patterns. So maybe the theory of not putting out a good manual doesn't fly too well. May not be a good manual out there yet, but it's obvious that some individuals have learned Designer and PE (and other tools) really well with what is out there now. Just wish I could learn it that good.

TIMCOSBY
02-26-2010, 01:40 AM
is for editing the scans not a pattern creator. i'm sure you could make a pattern with it but it would be like working in the stone age with a copper chisel and would take forever to get anything close to descent. i think it would be a step below importing a jpeg.

Jeff_Birt
02-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, it depends on how you go about it. You can do quite a lot with the carving tools. It is not however a 3D modeling program, it is primarily geared towards editing existing content.

jerrbitt
02-26-2010, 09:49 AM
is for editing the scans not a pattern creator. i'm sure you could make a pattern with it but it would be like working in the stone age with a copper chisel and would take forever to get anything close to descent. i think it would be a step below importing a jpeg.

I understand that and it is also used to edit graphics you import. And hats off to those who have become proficient with it -- I'm envious. It seems to me that they have labored through a steep learning curve and/or have the benefit of expereince with photoshop or something similar.

Ask Bud has a tutorial that has been of help explaining some of the tools and I thank him for that.

All I'm saying is that I want to learn PE and a manual or tutorial would go a long way toward expediting that process.

jgowrie
05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, I found this blurb on the CW website but I can't find the manual it mentions... I am using designer 1.163 so maybe it was dropped?

" Pattern Editor Manual (available in CW Project Designer version 1.153-now available!) "

AskBud
05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, I found this blurb on the CW website but I can't find the manual it mentions... I am using designer 1.163 so maybe it was dropped?

" Pattern Editor Manual (available in CW Project Designer version 1.153-now available!) "

perhaps what you are looking for is in the Learning Lab.
http://carvewright.com/cms/learninglab
AskBud

jgowrie
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
perhaps what you are looking for is in the Learning Lab.
http://carvewright.com/cms/learninglab
AskBud

Hi Bud,

That is actually where I was when I copied that blurb. It sounds like there is a manual present within the Designers help menu but I can't find it. The only things located on the learning lab page are the links to the Tips/Hints pdf's. Is that the still the main source of information on the Pattern Editor?

I have downloaded your tutorial videos btw, thanks for those resources and the time you put into them!

AskBud
05-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Bud,

That is actually where I was when I copied that blurb. It sounds like there is a manual present within the Designers help menu but I can't find it. The only things located on the learning lab page are the links to the Tips/Hints pdf's. Is that the still the main source of information on the Pattern Editor?

I have downloaded your tutorial videos btw, thanks for those resources and the time you put into them!

I've sent an eMail to < software@carvewright.com >. Perhaps they will respond soon with more detail.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
To access there referenced Pattern Editor Manual:

Open Designer and then the Pattern Editor software. The PE Manual that became available with version 1.153 is under HELP - HELP CONTENTS...

There is no big secret that is only being shared with certain individuals.

It is called Pattern Editor Software cause that is what it is for. If it were for creating patterns, it would have been called Pattern Creator Software.

[PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PATTERN CREATOR SOFTWARE!]

The manual does not have a pattern creator section or a tutorial on how to create patterns, because it is not a function of the software.

Pattern Editor software is used to edit patterns.

The pattern vendors that create and sell their patterns, I assume are doing it one of two ways:

1. They have access to (own) other 3rd party graphics software packages and the knowledge and skill to make them work.

2. They create by hand or find an object and scan it into a pattern.

So, they have invested in their future by taking classes in graphics design (there's your learning curve), invested in other name brand software programs (most of which are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than LHR's), they are born with a talent or have cultivated a skill and spent the necessary time to create unique pieces by hand (hand carved or molded), or they own a probe and have a great eye for identifying scannable objects and have done so.

All of these are great reasons why you should buy their patterns from the Pattern Depot.

TIMCOSBY
05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
how many orders for a dingle arm did you get? :>}

BBrooks
05-14-2010, 04:16 PM
how many oders for a dingle arm did you get? :>}

That, sir, is a trick question as we all know that the CW is manufactured in China and was designed by former Nasa Engineers, therefore, ergo, everything is based on METRIC measurements and that would be a dodecahedron-dingle arm . Whom do you think you is dealing with up in here?
:)
Happy friday fellow carveheads,

cestout
05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I understand and agree with what the staff member wrote. I post patterns and projects in the store, but I also purchase them there and elsewhere. I can not afford the 3D soft ware. I also like the computer creating as much as the actual carving. Here is how I created the rail fence in the store. I used TurboCAD to draw the fence. I imported it and carved it reversed (into the board). I sanded it smooth, made a cardboard fence around it, spray it with WD40 and filled it with plaster of paris. I removed the now positive fence and sanded (using plaster sanding screen stuff) shaped it the way I wanted. Now I scanned it with the probe. A lot of work, but I needed that fence. I post it on in the store for 2 reasons. Secondarily to make a little money, but mostly to share with you. I have posted free stuff in the gallery, but it moves on down and disappears. I don't charge very much for my stuff, I just like to share what I discover. From the prices in the store, and the quality of the stuff, I think most vendors feel the same. My Prayer of St Francis in the store is next to free, I just liked it and wanted to share.
Clint