PDA

View Full Version : what other software do I need along with STL

jtmcreations
02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I just bought the STL Importer software and I am finding out that is other software that I need. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I've heard that there is some low price programs out there,(free would be even better).

Thanks, John

fwharris
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I just bought the STL Importer software and I am finding out that is other software that I need. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I've heard that there is some low price programs out there,(free would be even better).

Thanks, John

Meshlab and google sketchup are free down loads that you can use to convert files into the STL format...

jpaluck
02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Blender is free

jtmcreations
02-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I am using google sketch up and I am having trouble saving a project to slt . Also ,do I have to design a project or can I use a photo. I know these might be a dumb question, but I still have a lot to learn. Hope somebody can help me out.
John

jpaluck
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
John

.stl is a 3d file format so you can either design the project or find plent of free models on the internet. Photo won't work. If you find a file in say .obj format you can save it out as an .stl in blender and then import with the STL Importer into designer

TIMCOSBY
02-26-2010, 01:19 AM
a stl plugin for sketchup to be able to save as an stl file.

SteveB
04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I have found these Sketchup plugins very useful in concert with the STL plugin for CarveWright designer (I use Sketchup 7.1):

Import DWG or DXF into Sketchup:
http://sketchup.google.com/download/plugins.html#dwg

Export STL files from Sketchup:
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

Using these you can load an Autocad DXF and then export it from Sketchup as an STL file. Or, you can build something in Sketchup and export it as an STL.

I personally don't use any plugins that allow you to import STL files into Sketchup because I have no need for that feature. But I'm sure one exists somewhere.

-Steve