PDA

View Full Version : what's up with that?

chebytrk
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
OK.... so I messed up I think. I stained a board (fairly dark) before I carved it. When I placed the board in the CC it started to measure the board and came back with a "clear sensor" error I think. Anyway, I checked on the forum and remember seeing some people stating that if the board was too dark that this error would come up. So...... I placed in another "non stained" board and "WHALA" all worked fine so I figured that it must have been the dark stain on the board. My question now...... is there anything I can do to still use that dark stained board to get my CC to carve on it. I asked it nicely to let me carve the stained board and all it says is "pfffffttt" and turns the other way! :) Any recommendations?

atauer
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Some folks have taped up the top of the board, and others have used sheets of white paper.

Whatever you try is completely up to you.

AskBud
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
OK.... so I messed up I think. I stained a board (fairly dark) before I carved it. When I placed the board in the CC it started to measure the board and came back with a "clear sensor" error I think. Anyway, I checked on the forum and remember seeing some people stating that if the board was too dark that this error would come up. So...... I placed in another "non stained" board and "WHALA" all worked fine so I figured that it must have been the dark stain on the board. My question now...... is there anything I can do to still use that dark stained board to get my CC to carve on it. I asked it nicely to let me carve the stained board and all it says is "pfffffttt" and turns the other way! :) Any recommendations?

Two runs of masking tape, one inch wide or better, will do the trick.
One across the board where the truck will travel to do the Width measurement. The other will be place along the entire length where the sensor will be sitting as it measures the length (usually in the center section on your width).
AskBud

Kenm810
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I always use stripes of standard masking tape on projects that I've painted or stained a dark color before carving,
I also have a flex-neck desk lamp mount at the front of the machine to add illumination in the carving head area of the machine.

chebytrk
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
I always use stripes of standard masking tape on projects that I've painted or stained a dark color before carving,
I also have a flex-neck desk lamp mount at the front of the machine to add illumination in the carving head area of the machine.

Those are really nice Ken. So when you say strips of tape is it like the way AskBud mentions? One down the middle (lengthwise) and one across where the board width measurement is done?
Curious...... those plaques you show...... I know it wasn't a whole lot to it but, did you make the design from scratch or are those imported .jpgs
Also, I've carved out about 14 different plaques and going to clean them up and try the food coloring and sand sealer trick. Wish me luck!

Kenm810
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Yep, just liKe bud mentioned works for me :smile:

The first two plaques are just simple V-Groove line drawings I did in designer with a bit of text.
The last a Faux Book, is one that I designed and carved on my machine,
as an Art piece for a retirement presentation gift.

Thanks

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=30550&postcount=1
GV ----Here's a little info on the Book

geekviking
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Is outstanding! What a great idea!
I have some really close friends, two couples actually that one is enamored with all things "Alice in Wonderland" and the others a Lord of the Rings fan...
You've got me thinking... (which at times could be called an achievement in itself...) :cool: