PDA

View Full Version : Machine's "measure" function

OldChipMaker
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Has anyone covered this before?
I built a sled (overall thickness, including project, is 1.20").
I then asked (as nicely as I could) for the machine to measure the board.
It measured the length as 24.050" (very close to actual).
It measured the width as 13.156" (again within 0.010 of actual).
Then, to my dismay, it measured the thickness as 5.000".
After overcomming my initial panic, I tried various boards with thicknesses ranging from 1/2" to 1.090" .... all of which measured correctly.
So, I sat down to analyse the dilemma. My conclusion is that because the maximum cut depth cannot exceed 1" (Z-axis travel), the thickness sensing operation does not allow the bit to reach the reference plate below the board, and so, out of frustration, it just says that the thickness is 5.000, which, I believe, is the maximum allowable board thickness.

want2b
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Can't offer an answer, don't remember anybody having the same problem. I and many others have carved max. width projects but I don't remember any more than 3/4 inch thick. I've carved thicker boards but mine have never been as wide as yours. Since your post hasn't gotten an answer from the real experts so far my guess is you may have to call LHR. Maybe somebody on the forum who has done a comparable carve will respond shortly, if not call LHR
The answer will be interesting to all , pls post it if not given here on the forum.
Thx, Rick H.

RMarkey
02-26-2010, 09:30 AM
The machine's chuck hit the (keyboard) side of the jig and failed the depth measurement test. It defaults to 5" in that case.

However, because the depth failed, it should use the project depth instead. Make sure it is set properly.

OldChipMaker
02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you Metallus. I didn't see the chuck hit the jig, but tnen I wasn't looking for that. It certainly explain what happened; next time I'll look for the chuck contact. Now I am comfortable with continuing my project.