PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck

dsw3
02-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Do i need the 1/4 or 1/2 inch adapter to use my bits that came with machine?

Fletcher
02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
If you bought all of the bits(11 total I believe) then you need both adapters. If you only have the 2 bits(carving and 1/8" cut-out) then the 1/4" adapter is all you need. I bought 1/4, 1/2, and 1/8, adapters so that my options of cutters to use won't be limited in the future.

Hope this helps...

F.

dsw3
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
all i use is the carving, cut out, and the 60 and 90 v bits so what do i need ?

dbfletcher
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
all i use is the carving, cut out, and the 60 and 90 v bits so what do i need ?

If thy are the lhr v bits, your would need the 1/2 rock with the 1/4 insert.

Doug Fletcher

chebytrk
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
If you only have the 2 bits that came with the machine, then the 1/4 Rock chuck is all you need. IF you have the "extra" bits kit that can be purchased separately, then you'll need the 1/2" Rock chuck and also the 1/2 - 1/4" sleeve adapter. This will enable you to use all of your bits with your 1/2" Rock chuck. IF you want to get the 4 flute Rock cutting bit, then you'll also need to purchase the 1/4 - 1/8 sleeve adapter( to accomodate the Rock cutting bit). Is this right guys.......... I think I got this correct.

CarverJerry
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I just got the Rock Chuck. I have all the extra tool (11pcs). This extra set of tools use both 1/4 and 1/2 dia shanks. Now my 60 & 90 degree bits are 1/4 dia on the shank. So really if your 60 & 90 degree bits have 1/4 shank you will only need to get the 1/4" chuck. BUT....you will be limited to only using 1/4" dia shanked bits. SO, if you buy the 1/2 chuck with the 1/4" sleeve you will be able to use larger bits. Once you buy the 1/4" chuck you are stuck using only 1/4" dia shanked tools. Hope this makes sense to you. Good luck, and BTW....I love my new chuck, so much smoother running...

rjustice
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Lots of partially correct answers... Here is the "rest of the story"

The 1/2" version gives you complete flexability. I offer 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" sleeves for the 1/2"... This will allow you to hold any bit that either LHR, or I sell. So to recap, you can hold the following shank sizes in that bit adapter... 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" by purchasing the proper sleeves. (The 3/8 is not on the website yet, but will be added this weekend. I now have them in stock)

The 1/4" version will only hold 1/4" or 1/8" shank tools. These include the tapered carving bit that comes with the machine, the 1/8" cutout bit that LHR sells, and if you do purchase the 1/8" cutout bits that i sell, you would need the 1/4 to 1/8" Rock sleeve.

Not 100% sure about this, but i have had people report to me that they have V60, and V90 bits that have both 1/4" shanks, and 1/2" shanks. Apparently they were shipped both ways... Please check the shanks on the tools that you wish to hold to make the proper decision.

Bottom line is that you cant go wrong with the 1/2" version, it will hold anything you may ever wish to hold.

Happy Carving,

Ron

eelamb
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Still looking forward to getting my Rock chuck, has been a week since I ordered it. Tonight I wished I had it, could not get the QC to hold a bit for any reason. Worked on it for over 30 min. before I got it to hold the bit, just to do a 15 min. test carve. Which was bad too. So not a great evening using the machine. Course the pattern was my fault.
I know with the rock I too will have a much better experience with the CW!

rjustice
02-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Still looking forward to getting my Rock chuck, has been a week since I ordered it. Tonight I wished I had it, could not get the QC to hold a bit for any reason. Worked on it for over 30 min. before I got it to hold the bit, just to do a 15 min. test carve. Which was bad too. So not a great evening using the machine. Course the pattern was my fault.
I know with the rock I too will have a much better experience with the CW!

Hi Eddie,
I had to complete a another batch of bit adapters over the weekend in order to ship your order. It went out monday, and i would expect you to see it today or tomorrow at the latest...
Thank you again for your order!

Ron

eelamb
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Ron, I received the rock chuck today. I am in for a short while before going out again on a job. Plan to watch the viedo again and install it when I get back. The rock chuck looked great, as well as the bet adapter. I am looking forward to using the RC and eliminating the QC nightmare from my future.

Thanks Ron.

eelamb
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
RC is installed, all bits are removed from the QC adapter, had trouble with the 60 deg bit, removing it, but soaked it then placed it into the vise and punched it out. Bet the hand will be sore tomorrow! No time to carve tonight but hope to get back to it tomorrow. Ron great job on the workmanship.

Method I used to remove the QC was one mentioned by ask bud (I believe). I Turned a rod to 1/2 heated it, but found it would not fit so turned it a bit smaller only top 5/8". Heated it while holding with vise grips, inserted it in the QC held it there for about one minute, then removed the chuck. Worked great, was not a fan of placing that much heat inside the machine using the other method. Turned the rod since I found I had only 5/8" rod, and did not want to run back out again.

PlateCarver
02-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I purchased a rock chuck and still can't get the original off. Any secrets as I have already snapped 2 tools and really don't want to apply a lot of heat in the machine.... unless I have to...

rjustice
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
If you are uncomfortable with the heat in the machine, towards the end of this thread, there is a method heating up the rod first, then sticking it into the chuck and holding it there for a minute, and repeating.

Please check out this thread...

http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,440

(there are 2 pages so be sure to go to the second page too)

Hope this helps!

Ron

eelamb
02-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I purchased a rock chuck and still can't get the original off. Any secrets as I have already snapped 2 tools and really don't want to apply a lot of heat in the machine.... unless I have to...

I heated the rod first then inserted it into the QC. But if you buy a 1/2 rod and cut it to 3 inches, grind down the top 5/8 inches smaller so it will fit into the QC once it is heated. Hold it there for about one minute (I saw smoke come off the QC). Then I dropped the rod and vice grips into water and proceeded to remove the chuck.

Oh do have the wrenches on and the square wrench ready to insert. Found this worked very nicely.

You will love the RC!

temler
02-28-2010, 07:05 AM
soaking it with PB buster for 24 hours has worked on two machine for me now. Hope not to have to use the heat, but would love to find another great buy on a machine, but first i have to find a way to make some money with it. Need to get busy with my Llama awards and see if i get that contract.
Thanks
Tim

Capt Bruce
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Please let me bump this thread up again to say how truly impressed I am with the Rock Chuck now that it is installed. The posts here, and Ron's installation video made it a lead pipe cinch to install quickly and effortlessly. Thanks for the warning about lost ball bearings when removing the shaft. I had my hand in just the right place to catch it when the retainer clasp was rotated.

Everything that has been commented here on the quieter and smoother running is now confirmed at least for me. I started out using Mickey Mouse ear hearing protectors for the first few weeks in my shop and could hear every speed change the machine made when out of the shop. Now I really have to pay attention to know if it's still running. What a difference it makes, and the greatest change is the quality of the carved surfaces with his multi flute carving bit. Projects I was running with Optimal quality can now probably be done at best and will require much less sanding after the carve.

Shall we just say I'm impressed? One great addition to the CarveWright Ron. Thanks for your design and craftsmanship shown by these components! :D

rjustice
03-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Capt Bruce...

Thank you sincerely for sharing your appreciation of the Rock Chuck system. Your satisfaction, and kind words, mean a lot to me!

Happy Carving!

Ron