PDA

View Full Version : help with machine

scoobie_6
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
hi,i got my carvewright setup today,and when i try to do a carving it tell me to load the 1/16 carving bit ,and i do, and it does it thing with honing and find surface ,and then tells me to load the 1/16 carving bit again and again...

what is going on?? am i doing something wrong?

can someone please help me

DocWheeler
02-20-2010, 03:37 PM
scoobie-6,

Welcome to the forum. This is a common problem designed to have the user better learn the machine and use the Search feature.
The bit plate is not coming out as it is supposed to - there are many posts about it.

scoobie_6
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
the bit plate comes out all the way and the point of the bit touches the little dot on it but still says the same thing

DocWheeler
02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
scoobie_6,

Shoot, I was on a roll today, sorry if I gave bad information!
As far as I know, the cause of repeated bit requests are from the bit-plate not being touched. Perhaps it is the firmware, make sure that you are using the latest version of Designer and that the firmware is re-flashed to your card.
If that does not work, lift up on the bit-plate, it may be bent down a little. I recall this being a problem some time ago.

Rapidroy
02-20-2010, 04:52 PM
sometimes just turn the CW off, wait a 30 sec (or till the screen goes blank), and turn it back on with the card installed. I find anything with a computer installed it helps to turn off, turn on:D

fwharris
02-20-2010, 06:29 PM
hi,i got my carvewright setup today,and when i try to do a carving it tell me to load the 1/16 carving bit ,and i do, and it does it thing with honing and find surface ,and then tells me to load the 1/16 carving bit again and again...

what is going on?? am i doing something wrong?

can someone please help me

How you selected or applied the 1/16" bit to any other items in the project? If you have selected it to say a vector line type carve it will ask you for the bit again as it is a different type of carve vs a pattern..

Just another thought..

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2010, 06:31 PM
First thing I would do like suggested above is reformat the card and load the latest Designer software. Then load a new project and see what happens....

If it still acts up and you see it touch the bit plate then shut the machine off... Back on and use Options and call up the Z Data. You will see 0000 then move the head up and down and see the numbers change.... I am wondering if they are not changing...

Just had another thought..... What if the clear disk on the back of the Encoder is slipping on the shaft too....

Let us know....

AL

AskBud
02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Perhaps it would be wise to attach the MPC you are using as well as telling what version of the Software you are using. Let us know if the MPC is your design or one that you got from the forum and did not alter.

The replies you've gotten so far are (or could be) on point, but may not be valid once we see the MPC and your version info.
AskBud

scoobie_6
02-20-2010, 06:59 PM
here it is i got it off the forum, no matter what bit i try it asks for it over and over and i am using ver 1.153

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Did you do the Z data test yet?

If you want to phone troubleshoot call me... I will be in the shop until 10 PM tonight. My number is on the bottom of my webpages.... They frown on posting phone numbers here.... Privacy...

AL

scoobie_6
02-20-2010, 07:35 PM
i can't figure out how to do the z test but i will call you my name is chris

AskBud
02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
On my test/review:
This MPC uses the 1/2 Round-over Bit for the edge and the Carving Bit on the rest.

When setting up this project, it will call for the Round over Bit first and then the Carving Bit. Once the carving Bit is in place, it will/should instantly begin to carve.
AskBud

fwharris
02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Bud,

That is what I see to.. not the MPC as is...

Scoobie,

Have you tried reformating the card and re down load the project?

I would give that a try along with doing the Z data check like Al says...

bjbethke
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
here it is i got it off the forum, no matter what bit i try it asks for it over and over and i am using ver 1.153
When I looked at the MPC it does not show a bit for the edge rout. I think that was my MPC; here is the PTN of that pattern. Try to make a new MPC from the pattern.

scoobie_6
02-20-2010, 09:30 PM
well i reformated my card,said no to auto jig,tried other patterns, even did a few samples from the basic list,every time i load a pattern it asks for differnt bits and and i put them in,and when i get to the last bit it ask for , it keeps asking me to load that bit over and over , i tried a pattern that ask for 3 bits 60deg ,90deg , and a 1/16 carving bit,it takes the first two and then asks for the 1/16 carving bit over and over.......i am going CRAZY no matter how small i make the pattern or how big it is the same thing

dbfletcher
02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
well i reformated my card,said no to auto jig,tried other patterns, even did a few samples from the basic list,every time i load a pattern it asks for differnt bits and and i put them in,and when i get to the last bit it ask for , it keeps asking me to load that bit over and over , i tried a pattern that ask for 3 bits 60deg ,90deg , and a 1/16 carving bit,it takes the first two and then asks for the 1/16 carving bit over and over.......i am going CRAZY no matter how small i make the pattern or how big it is the same thing

watch the bit carfully when it is touching down on the bit flag. How many imes does it touch? and is the bit flag extending out all the way?

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
02-20-2010, 10:00 PM
watch the bit carfully when it is touching down on the bit flag. How many imes does it touch? and is the bit flag extending out all the way?

Doug Fletcher

Could the problem be that the Carve Bit is not in the adapter correctly?
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
WOW.... We talked earlier and I really thought that the Auto Jig was the problem.... WOW.... Bummer...

When your ready, lets start with a basic project....

Make a project in Designer with one Drill Hole as the project.....

That way it will be 1 bit and that will remove the carving and V bit out of the mix..... and see if the computer is working correctly..

Load that and see what happens....

You may very well have a bad computer..... Sounds like the Compiling of the project problem....

This still could be a Z Encoder problem or the FSC Cable....

In order for the computer to think it did not hit or touch the Bit Plate is for the number it is seeing to be further down than the actual bit plate....

So how can that happen.....

If the plastic clear disk on the Z Encoder is slipping, when the bit smacks into the bit plate the clear encoder disk keeps moving from inertia.... That could cause it...

Sorry I left you hanging last night... Thought we had it....

AL

www.go3d.us
02-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Could the problem be that the Carve Bit is not in the adapter correctly?
AskBud

I was thinking the same. Maybe the bit didn't seat in the adapter.
Hope you will get it fix soon.

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
well i tried doing one hole and selected the 1/8 cutting bit. the machine measures the board and does it's honing and finding surface and then keeps asking for the bit..

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
the bit touches down on the bit flag twice and it is extending out as far as it can go

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 09:55 AM
well i will have to call carvewright in the morning, i am so depressed it is killing me, i waited so long to get this machine and i can't even use it:mad:

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Your bit flag is level? Not bent down?

With the power off, move the head over to the bit flag and get the bit flag to extend. Slowly move the Z down to touch the bit flag. Then back off slightly and see if you can make the bit extend past the bit flag. Does the tip of the bit go past the bit flag?

AL

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
when the bit touches it it pushes it down about a 1/32- 1/8" that is when the machine is running, i have not tried with it off yet

AskBud
02-21-2010, 04:00 PM
The Touch Plate should move in & out, with no ability to move up & down. I think that either the plate is broken or the screw assembly area(s) are your trouble.
AskBud

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
ok the bit plate has play (sloppy) in the up,down motion,,i mean i can move the plate up and down like it is loose i know it has a spring on it , but is there any way to tighten it up?

AskBud
02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
ok the bit plate has play (sloppy) in the up,down motion,,i mean i can move the plate up and down like it is loose i know it has a spring on it , but is there any way to tighten it up?

The spring is only for the in & out swing. It has no bearing on the up & down "slop". See if you can determine the reason for the slop. Is the screw sloppy or is the plate the only piece that is loose? Have you looked at the parts in the manual?
AskBud

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
i have looked at the parts manual and it show a lock clip holding it on, there is no screw that i can find, and yes it is just the plat that has slop in it..
i am at the end of my rope,,ready to thow this thing through the garage door.. it is a real let down waiting as long as i did and finally biting the bullet and convincing my wife that it was worth the $ just to open it up and it not work..and this was brand new in the box go figure

fwharris
02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
i have looked at the parts manual and it show a lock clip holding it on, there is no screw that i can find, and yes it is just the plat that has slop in it..
i am at the end of my rope,,ready to thow this thing through the garage door.. it is a real let down waiting as long as i did and finally biting the bullet and convincing my wife that it was worth the $ just to open it up and it not work..and this was brand new in the box go figure

Are all of the washers on the plate?

I re call someone having to replace theirs (Al???) but not much info that I can recall.

c6craig
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I also remember some posts where people couldn't get the bit plate to extend all the way and used styrofoam to permanently prop it open. Maybe you could use something like that to keep it imobile enough to determine if that is your problem....

Good luck,
Craig

scoobie_6
02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
i will let carvewright fix it i didn't spend $2400 on the bit set and machine +warrantee just to have to frig with it any more thank god for a warrantee

i will let everyone know the outcome and i THANK EVERYONE for all your help:-D

Capt Bruce
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Scoobie 6,
I can relate to your frustration over the non functioning machine. It took me nearly three months from receipt of mine to get it functioning due to discrepant memory cards they sent. Hang in, call LHR and work through what you've tried here working with the Forum members. They helped me during equal bouts and in the end its working fine.

Wishing you equal success, the machine is well worth the frustration.

c6craig
02-21-2010, 09:38 PM
i will let carvewright fix it i didn't spend $2400 on the bit set and machine +warrantee just to have to frig with it any more thank god for a warrantee

Nothing wrong with that either, alot of times on the forum you get suggestions geared toward getting you up and running for the short term while waiting for the permanent fix from LHR. That's all I was suggesting. Keep at it, when the machine gets running you will be glad you went through these initial hassles.

Craig

dbfletcher
02-21-2010, 10:01 PM

The only thing you should probably be aware of.. unless they have changed it... if you are talking about a cw and not a cc from sears... is you have to pay shipping one way if you send it to LHR to be repaired. if it is a sear cc with warrenty... I think your good.

Doug Fletcher

scoobie_6
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
well got ahold of carvwright tech support,they send me instructions on how to check the bit plate,did that called them back and they finally listened to me that the bit plate was loose and that i could move it up and down almost 1/4" and told me they would send me more instructions via email on how to remove it and fix it so it has no movement up and down.. i hope it is all worth it...... I am trying to keep a positive attatude about it the best i can.. can't say that about the wife though.(she is not happy) so i will keep everyone updated on my progress..

Jcpb321
02-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Scoobie,
It is a shame to get a new machine and it not work for sure, I can only wish you the best with this problem.

I have had several times myself experienced problems like this and like you TG for the warantee, I am watching closely the outcome since I am in the wanna catagory but like you I need the wife's blessing too!

Last Friday I stopped at the Sears store and NO they couldn't even give me a delivery date if I would order one. They had the dummy set up and the stupid video didn't even work.

I have been playing with the software for about a week but a lot of things I don't understand, a lot more studing and reading for me before I make a decision to buy for sure, where will be another thing.

John

scoobie_6
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
you should check out sears.com they sometimes give a discount that you can put to the cost of extened warrentee , but i got mine trough lowes with a 4 year extened warrentee

Jcpb321
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
I was on Sears.com last evening, had a family 10% discount + then when it went to the order page prices changed and there were none to be had.

Will be watching to see how you make out, local Lowes here also but I have not been there in a couple months, will check it out after I see how they deal with yours;) they may get my business.

edited: just checked again at sears.com, that is store pickup is not available, darn 10% discount ended at 4 am today, oh well wait 2 weeks they will run a sale or another family discount, maybe my craftsman club card??

HillbillyBill
02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
I've contacted sears parts to purchase replacement parts for my machine. I contacted carvewright too. Tried to call them, forget about that... How can you get replacement parts????

From Sears:
Part MWMA2051 STABELIZER
Order # W954666
Item status history
Date Status
02/13/2010 Ordered
Part has been processed in the system, but status from the supplier is not yet available.

can't order directly from Carvewright.

the part is the clutch. I can't raise or lower my machine. When I took the handle, spring etc off, I found the clutch broken in three places. Looks like a washer with thee clutch points in it.

On the exploded parts manual: http://www.carvewright.com/images/se...ist_manual.pdf

Side Panel and Crank Assembly
its part number: 147

Any idea how I can get this part? the machine is useless without it...

Al

scoobie_6
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
i think Carvewright customer support & tech support Needs Alot of Improvement , i am really disapointed in the two people i talked to so far, I just hope they are not all like that... and by the way i am still waiting for thie instructions on how to fix the bit plate on my machine that i havn't even got to use yet.. But i am still trying to keep a postive additude.although it is not easy.. i dont want it to get to the point where i return it for a refund. because if i did i dont know if i would take the chance again or not:mad:

Jcpb321
02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
What kind of warranty did you get from Lowes? Is it through Lowes or LHR?

I did search Lowes last evening and they are 300 less than Sears on the machine, but without support if I buy a warranty.... I don't know.

It seems like I read a lot about when they first started making these they had a lot of trouble, I thought they were referring to machines made a couple years ago, but yours is new out of the box, really makes me think.

I might just be better off getting a recon and save a grand! Now just think, why are all these reconditioned machines available? Are they still building with the bad parts or is it buyers lack of understanding and screwing the machine up by misuse? Kind of like someone turning a Shopsmith speed control while the machine is not running!

I was really hoping to get on here today and find out that your problem has been solved or at least the parts were on the way to fix it:mad:

Wilbur
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I have had three machines. The first was the machine from hell.
Nothing but problems. Warranty was 200 hr or one yr. which ever came first.

I did all the work on it through LHR and they were very nice but it came to the point I was tired of waiting on parts and being down.

It was going to cost me 158.00 to ship the machine to LHR for warranty work so I said the end of this.

I got it from Lowes and took it back and got my money, no problem.

The more I though about it the more I wanted one.

Seen Sears had a sale on theres with a 5 yr warranty so I said I would give it another go. I did.

Got the 5 yr warranty for 300.00 and glade I did . Sent it back once. The repairs was 450.00 and they paid the shipping. Ran it for 300 hr and had to send it back. They sent me a new one with full warranty.

I now have another. Two with the warranty.

I would not buy one that was not new and with the 5 yr warranty.

I can asure you that in 5 yr it will have to be worked on, that is if you run it.

Someone buying one for the first time, just say no to a used one no matter what the price. I bet it will cost you more than getting a new one.

This is the best advice I can give to anyone that is not willing or able to do the repairs yourself.

For sure I have been there done that.

Go new with 5 yr warranty, you will be glad you did. Hey, Sears does there on repairs.

Wilbur

scoobie_6
02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
i got a 4 year warrentee from lowe's for 299.00 + the one yr with carvewright

but carvewright told me to get some epoxy and (in their own words) Glue the shaft back together and put the bitplate back together after i figure out how to get it apart..( I can't believe they told me that.)so i called lowe's and they said bring it back and they will order another or give me my money back.

scoobie_6
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
lowe's extened warrantee is good, i had a pressure washer with 2yr extened warrantee and had it about 1 1/5 yrs before the pump went on it sent it in to have fixed and they told me it would cost more to fix then it cost new. so they sent me a gift card for the full purchase price to buy another or what ever i wanted to spend it on.. so it is worth getting the lowe's exented warantee .

Jcpb321
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Wilbur,

Wow, are you a salesman? :-D If not, maybe you should be! Really I totally agree with you in some ways and your case is strong.

On the other side, I have read about some going the other way since the machine has been totally refurbished/recertified it is a better machine.

Sears has in the past been a reliable source of many of my toys, snow blower, rototillers, mowers, etc., my credit card bill every month will prove that, ;) however I am not too sure of their stability at this point anymore with the recent news of store closings etc,. soon I should be able to go to the little ACE hardware and buy Craftsman tools out of the catalog the way I hear it... For those of you who do not know this is in line with the way Sears actually got started, catalog!

I have worked production most of my life, unless they have a Research & Development and Quality Control inspection like we had at GE while working on the space program control units, I am not impressed, really something like that is what this manufacturer needs to have, a real QUALITY CONTROL section, then they wouldn't have the problems they have experienced since day 1. That is a little bit of overkill, but the old saying goes SISO

Even my present job as a packer on manufacturing napkins, I have the same problem, we have a quality inspector who spot checks but at the production rate we do they can't catch them all, even the ones I miss on purpose just to get the job out! :roll: sounds like I could get a job at lhr...:rolleyes:

To those of you who do plan on buying on Ebay take a good look at those super sellers well designed sales pages and read the whole thing, then check their feedback, you may be a little surprised, those big feedback numbers are not from sales of carvewright and be aware of the fact that they can adjust/ arbitrate the negatives at the rate of 5 per 1000 items sold.

Lowes? We have one locally (I do live in the sticks) and I have always been satisfied with what I purchased there, if they support Scoobie and get him into production they may be on my buy list, we will wait and see.

Jcpb321
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
i got a 4 year warrentee from lowe's for 299.00 + the one yr with carvewright

but carvewright told me to get some epoxy and (in their own words) Glue the shaft back together and put the bitplate back together after i figure out how to get it apart..( I can't believe they told me that.)so i called lowe's and they said bring it back and they will order another or give me my money back.

That's great Scoobie, what I have been waiting to hear, hope the next two are winners, yours and mine.

scoobie_6
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
LOL no i am not a salesman just a disabled carpenter and it just so happens that lowe's is closer to me than sears.. and i can remember my grandfather ordering out of sears catalogs before they had stores.I would like to think the 2nd time around will be better,(because i have seen so many great things everyone have done with these machines)just wish the people at lhr cared alittle more about their customers and not thier bottom line.

scoobie_6
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
well i took my machine back to lowe's, they are great!!!! they gave me a refund and i ordered another. i hope the 2nd time around is better, cause man i really want to make somethings with it.... the things i have seen everyone making on this forum is just amazing and i can only hope i can be a part of it..:-D

scoobie_6
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
well i got another new machine today and this one is working Great!!!!!!!!! just need to learn how to work the software better.. i will post some projects as soon as i make some that are good enough..:p

jaroot
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Did they ever get back to you about the bit-plate? My son and I recently purchased a refurbished Compucarve. (We actually ordered a "Carvewright" but were shipped the Craftsman version) It has been working great though we've only put about 20hrs of actual cutting on it. The chuck pretty much sucks. We are probably going to go to a rock chuck as soon as we can. The amount of slop in the chuck has got to have a major impact on the quality of the carving. At least I hope that it is. Anyway I went out to the shop tonight to start a little sign for my folks and got the repeated bit load request. Noticed that the bit-plate is not extending all the way. I will try propping it out tomorrow to see if that fixes the load bit problem. But I was wondering if there was any additional information regarding why the plate doesn't extend. As far as I can tell the truck pushes it out so I assume that the truck is not going far enough over. I checked the track for debris and it looks and feels clean. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kenm810
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
With the machine turned off , try moving the "Z" truck by hand all the way to the Bit Touch Plate side of the machine,
and make note of any resistance or spots that might need to be cleaned or lubed along the the way.
Also check to see if the trucks movement is being interfered with by any part of the machine
and especially watch the wires to the Cut Motor in the corner of the machines housing behind the Touch Plate.

TIMCOSBY
03-06-2010, 04:38 AM
well i got another new machine today and this one is working Great!!!!!!!!! just need to learn how to work the software better.. i will post some projects as soon as i make some that are good enough..:p

read the help file in designer yet. it will help greatly. its not up to date but will give you most of what info you need. read it from top to bottom.

TIMCOSBY
03-06-2010, 04:40 AM
making $20 a day what kind of qaulity work would you do? why can we not assemble it here???????????

jaroot
03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I upgraded the software and firmware, formatted the memory card and downloaded a different project. Everything went well. No more repeated bit load requests. Truck moves far enough to push the bit plate out. That's the good news.

The bad news is half way through carving the project the Quick Chuck came apart. dropped some kind of retaining sleeve out and chewed up some plastic part and spit it out with the sleeve. Seems to work just fine except for the excessive wobble in the chuck head.

I guess we'll be buying a rock chuck sooner rather than later.

Kenm810
03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
It happened to my machine a couple of times, :sad: here's a post form about couple of years ago
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=40173&postcount=2

Ended up having to replace the "Z" Truck both times

jaroot
03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
It happened to my machine a couple of times, :sad:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=40173&postcount=2

Hi Ken

So does this mean that in addition to replace the QC I'll have to install some kind of bearing as well?

Thanks
Jim

Kenm810
03-06-2010, 08:34 PM
At the time it happened to me, my machine was still under warranty and LHR had me send it to Texas to repair the problem,
they really didn't want anyone to try to remove or replace the the pressed bearings in the carving head.
Which I didn't mind because I didn't have the tools to do it at the time.
More recently I've read that LHR now sends out a new or rebuilt "Z" truck that you can replace on your machine yourself if you wish.

Old Salt
03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Looks like kens gone but yes you will need to replace z truck no bearing fit that I know of . replase with rock to.

Kenm810
03-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks Old Salt,

My internet winked out on me for a few minutes :wink:

jaroot,

I just read someone's post a few days ago that you can now get the replacement "Z" truck shipped
with or without the QC Chuck on it.

Digitalwoodshop
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, you will need to replace the Z Truck as this Bearing Damper goes around the lower bearing to the Z Truck, just above the QC.

If you are out of warranty and you buy the Z Truck, try to buy one WITHOUT a QC attached.... If you get one WITH a QC attached and it has FOREVER RED Lock Tite on the Threads it will take a lot of TORCH HEAT to loosen the Lock Tite..... You run the risk of damaging the new Z Truck, either heating the bearings or like I did once.... STRIP the square Drive hole.... So getting a Z Truck without a QC ready for a ROCK would be my first choice.

If you are in Warranty and LHR sends you a Truck with a QC, know that if you ever send the machine for service LHR Expects a QC and "may" remove the ROCK and install a QC... So never send a machine with a ROCK on it. They may change this policy or have already changed the policy... Check first and get it in writing...

Good Luck,

AL

jaroot
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Ours is a refurbished machine. Suppose to have been refurbished by manufacture and was shipped from them. Anyway they are apparently so proud of their refurbishing ability that there is no warranty. Knew that going into it so I'm not bitter about that. I have sent an email to Carvewright requesting information about replacement z-truck so I guess I'll have to wait until next week to see what they say. Anybody have any idea what they charge for a z-truck?

Thanks again
Jim

c6craig
03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Last time I ordered one was a few months ago...

MWMA2015 Z-Truck Assembly - $125.00

$40 of that is a core charge.

Hope that helps.

Craig

fwharris
03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
And do not wait for the return email. I have yet recieved one reply back on any email I've sent through the on line support from the site.

Call them Monday first thing will be faster....

mtylerfl
03-07-2010, 07:00 AM
... requesting information about replacement z-truck so I guess I'll have to wait until next week to see what they say. Anybody have any idea what they charge for a z-truck?

Thanks again
Jim

Hello Jim,

Sorry to hear about the delay in enjoying your machine!

CarveWright has posted several helpful documents that cover various service and replacement procedures (including Z-truck replacement). Please visit the following link to download whatever instructions you require...

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

(FW had the same link, but for some reason a lot of folks miss those links in the signature area.)

jaroot
03-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Last time I ordered one was a few months ago...

MWMA2015 Z-Truck Assembly - $125.00

$40 of that is a core charge.

Hope that helps.

Craig

Thanks again for the advise guys. Some of you must me online 24/7. :)

Craig was the $125 with or without the QC?

Thanks
Jim

Digitalwoodshop
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
The refurbished Z Trucks are known to spit out that damper.... I had it happen to my Z Truck in the first 10 minutes.

It is something that the tech is not seating properly... There must be a groove that the damper is not being pushed into far enough.

The refurbished machine must have a replacement Z Truck on it.

Good Luck,

AL

jaroot
03-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Just thought that I'd drop a note to let everybody know what is happening. I emailed Carvewright on Saturday and got a response from them today asking for the serial number and the hours. I responded with the requested information and they immediately responded, asked that we remove the truck and send it to them and they would repair it and would not charge anything for labor. Great news.

I also called them today, before I got their email, to inquire about the price of a replacement truck. I got through almost immediately and was given a price of $125 and was told that the part was in stock and if I ordered it it would be shipped out that day and that I should receive it in 3-4 business days. I didn't tell them on the phone who I was or that I had already sent them an email.

All in all it has been a pleasant experience so far.

Jim

c6craig
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks again for the advise guys. Some of you must me online 24/7. :)

Craig was the $125 with or without the QC?

Thanks
Jim

Sorry for the late reply...I'm sure you know by now, but the price was with a QC on the Z Truck.

Thanks,
Craig

TIMCOSBY
03-09-2010, 12:59 AM
is treating you right.

alan.galbraith
03-09-2010, 07:17 AM
I had the same problem with loading an ash board. Put a strip of painters tape along the edge of the board nearest the front panel.

jaroot
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
is treating you right.

Yes they seem to be and I have to admit that based on the negative reports that I had found on the internet I was a bit hesitant to purchase. But the potential that the machine has helped me do it anyway.

jaroot
04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Well got the z-truck back yesterday and installed it. Made first carve, building a part to connect my vacuum to DC attachement. I have to say that the QC bearings must have been loose when we got the machine because the carving looks so much better than it did. LHR reset the bearing retainer and even sent new adjustable bearing, gratis! So far I like what their CS people are doing.

BTW I asked about the "new" QC and was told that there still was not definite availability time and that they didn't have an pricing info at all.

alan.galbraith
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I noticed a posting in this thread that I did, but I don't remember posting to this thread especially with the post that I did. I have also noticed so strange postings in different threads, like they didn't belong there. Just like mine.

Anyone else notice this

DocWheeler
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
It happens more as you get older:(

jaroot
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
We got the z-truck back in and installed a DC adapter made from ideas found in the forums. Hooked the adapter to our shop vac since we don't have a DC unit yet, hopefully soon. Shop vac just isn't up to the task so the DC adapter will just have to sit until we can get the DC unit.

Got to carve a small sign and a small picture frame and the the board sensor died. Best reading I could get from white paper was a 9. Took it apart and one of the LEDs fell out, well half of it fell out. So I guess the machine is down for another few days.

We also noticed a ugly noise from the y axis motor/gear. Gear lash maybe. is there any lubricant that is suppose to be in with the gears or the rear bearing? Anybody else experiencing this?

Thanks for the help so far you guys have been great. Even just prowling through the forums has netted us a lot of good information.

We are pretty sure that once we get all of the bugs worked out we are going to have a great time with this thing.

Jim

"With all of this manure, there has got to be a pony in here somewhere."

Digitalwoodshop
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
How many cut hours are on your machine?

The bearings in the Y Gear Box can go bad. I had some go bad.

Remove the Y and look it over. It can rub on the U Shaped slot it sits in too if positioned too close to the center.

Dirty Belt cogs.

Dirty Y Rails.... Take a brass wire brush and mineral spirits and scrub the lower and upper rails.

There is a spring loaded screw on the tight to tension the Y Belt.

OR the Gear Box is loose on the Motor.

AL

jaroot
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info Al. The machine has about 25hrs cut time. It is a refurbished Craftsman so I'm not entirely sure what the actual time is. I don't know if they routinely reset the counter or if it actually only has 25 hrs on it.

Anyway we'll check out the rails and such and see if we can get it smoothed out.

jaroot
04-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Well we got the noisy y-motor fixed. Don't know exactly how we just cleaned and cleaned then after operating for a few minutes it stopped making much noise.

Got to carve a couple of small projects and now we are getting a z-axis stall. Blew it all out and tried again, same thing.

Formatted the card and reloaded the project no help.

We will try tooth brushing it tomorrow and see if that helps. The weird thing is that as it is dropping the bit down during the homing stage it started moving the board. I don't recall it doing that before. As soon as the board starts to move the z-axis stall happens.

jaroot
04-18-2010, 11:16 AM
:D OK We searched through the forums, (Thanks guys!) and took most of the recommended steps to solve the z-axis stall error and I'm happy to report that we are carving again!

We generally clean the machine after each carve, that is to say that we vacuum, blow it out and wipe it down.

The steps that we took to fix error included a thorough cleaning, wipe down. relube of the tracks with silicone. Checked the z-truck position sensor for debris (none found), check the flex cable for proper attachment and finally re-adjusted the outfeed tables.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jim

Well we got the noisy y-motor fixed. Don't know exactly how we just cleaned and cleaned then after operating for a few minutes it stopped making much noise.

Got to carve a couple of small projects and now we are getting a z-axis stall. Blew it all out and tried again, same thing.

Formatted the card and reloaded the project no help.

We will try tooth brushing it tomorrow and see if that helps. The weird thing is that as it is dropping the bit down during the homing stage it started moving the board. I don't recall it doing that before. As soon as the board starts to move the z-axis stall happens.:D:D

Kenm810
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Just a little word of caution, --Paints, Stains, and Top Coats
sometimes really don't like lubes or products with Silicone in them.
If they settle or get on your Project Boards they often cause problems
with your finish -- Unevenness of Color or even Fish-Eyes. :sad:

jaroot
04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I knew that but it isn't like we put the lube on dripping wet. I just sprayed a little lube on a shop towel and wiped the rails down with it. Anyway it got us carving again.

Finished up the project then loaded the next and got a board tracking sensor error. So here we go again!

This one was a simple fix. Bad board. I even tried the tape thing. The board had an ever so slight crown in it. Loaded new board and we are back to carving once again!:mrgreen:

Just a little word of caution, --Paints, Stains, and Top Coats
sometimes really don't like lubes or products with Silicone in them.
If they settle or get on your Project Boards they often cause problems
with your finish -- Unevenness of Color or even Fish-Eyes. :sad:

jaroot
05-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Well we're down again. The spindle came apart again. I guess we'll just have to park it until we can afford to update to the carvetight. :(