PDA

View Full Version : germlins have moved into my machine

myshop1044
02-20-2010, 12:28 PM
This morning I was ready to do some carvinging and it went down hill from there, I get a Z (309)stall from the time the truck starts to move, I check the bearings and the truck seems to move easily in both direction, I oiled the rails and that may taken care of the problem.
I notice when I turn off the machine the truck moves easer in Z and y,
but when I turn the machne on the truck is a little hard to move.
Bit problem "clear board sensor"
1. I blew out the lens, same error
2. I removed it and disconnected it and blew it out, same error.
3. I notice I got a reading of 128 in the middle and to the far most right side of the plywood(birch) and when I moved the truck to the left side just about an 1 1/2" from the homeing positing,it goes to "0".
As soon as I move it another 1/4" or so from that position back to the right the readings go 128 again.
I put white paper under the truck at the start position and it is "0" again.
I have never seen this before, any help would be really really great.

Myshop

DocWheeler
02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
MyShop,

Just a guess, but it sounds like the ribbon cable or its connection to the Y truck (to me).
With a reading of 128 somewhere, wiggle the cable (stick something through the back) and see if you can make it go to zero. Maybe that will not be as easy as I'm thinking.

Anyway, just a thought.

myshop1044
02-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Doc you were right, I wiggled it at 128 and it went to zero, I move it to zero area and wiggled it and it read 128.
Can I remove the head to get to the ribbon and still have power to test the ribbon?

Thanks for the help.

Myshop

DocWheeler
02-20-2010, 03:33 PM
As you know, removing the top requires you to at least unplug the low-voltage switch by unplugging it from the pc board. I guess that you could somehow unplug the cutmotor side and plug in the other one. Never tried it, but worth a try. I would imagine that it is the connection that has the problem rather than a break within the cable - but I may be stretching my guess somewhat.

Need to have Al chime in here!

TerryT
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
The ribbon cable can sometimes work itself loose. You may be able to just reach in and try to seat it better in the back of the Z truck.

myshop1044
02-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I was able to pull the head off and leave the power on and as I moved the truck backward and forward the readings would jump up and down, also I notice a small tear in the cable. I guess I will order a new cable Monday and hope it get here in time to complete my projects.
attached shows a slight tear in the cable and when I wiggled it there the readings would jump.

Thanks for all the help

Myshop

DocWheeler
02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
myshop1044,

Glad you found the problem. It would be a long-shot and would fail after several hours, but you could separate the ribbon and solder a small 'bridge' across the break so you could finish the project.

Just for my information, which conductor broke? The top one of the 14?

myshop1044
02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Your correct Doc it is the top one, it looks it tore just from all that moverment.
Has any body use Sears directparts to get their parts?
the ribbon only sells for 7.95 and I can have it here by the 26th of Feburary.
Idon't know what CW is going to charge and how long it will take.
I found the Sears directparts webb site by accident on another forum.
If any body has any input let me know.

Myshop

TerryT
02-20-2010, 06:02 PM
myshop1044,

Glad you found the problem. It would be a long-shot and would fail after several hours, but you could separate the ribbon and solder a small 'bridge' across the break so you could finish the project.

Just for my information, which conductor broke? The top one of the 14?

You are right Ken, I soldered mine when it had the same problem and put about 10 hours of carve time on it while waiting for the replacement.

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Looks like you were in good hands all day in all the great troubleshooting tips.... And you found the problem.... GOOD JOB !!!!

I was off planting signs today.... Digging holes to plant 4 x 4 posts in the frozen ground with a Crow Bar and post hole diggger.... Fun Stuff..... I need to charge more in the winter..... All caught up with signs except one.
Got a nibble on a Fire Tag order in Wyoming for $1K in tags.... Woooo Hooooo..... Hopefully....

A tip on the flat cable.... In picture 1 of your cable, I place a wrap of masking tape flat around the black plastic and together with the flat cable. This supports it out further and spreads out the FLEXING of the flat cable preventing a sharp bend that can cause a bend, bend, bend, bend, break..... Makes for a more trouble free machine..... And every inch of masking tape helps that masking tape stock I have.... If every user, placed a small strip of tape around the black FSC Cable holder and the FSC Cable.... That would extend the lifetime of the FSC cable for EVERY user by spreading out the bending stress to a gentle bend from a sharp bend..... X number of users times 2 inches of masking tape... My Stock.... Wooooo Hoooooo X2....:roll:

When you get your cable make sure you count the conductors... You have the 14 pin system and it is possible to get a old 16 pin cable... That would cause smoke.... and we know smoke is not a good thing....

Good Luck,

AL:mrgreen:

mister_zed
02-21-2010, 02:23 AM
I have tried Sears direct parts... and I have a mixed experience.

I ordered CW parts via expedited shipping so that I could get them asap (in 3 days or so). A number of follow-ups followed and I got certainly a variety of explanations why my parts were not in my hands: order numbers have been reused, problems with some computer system, unable to get the supplier on phone etc etc etc. After 3 weeks I asked for refund, had to ask 3 times. Then I got my refund and then I got my parts (!).

I can't say I have a good understanding of how Sears work. ;-)

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Stockholm WOW.... 27 countries in my Navy days but never there.... All over the Med and Africa...

I admire you for giving the machine a chance. If you run into any stone walls getting parts let me know.

AL

mister_zed
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Al! *s* I might ask you for a favor or two in future...

LHR are not exactly wonders of being serviceminded the moment you say "outside the US". But that stone wall I've overcome by setting up a US address.

So, what countries in the Med have you visited?

myshop1044
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks Digital, the black tape tip is really a good one I'm going to put some around the holder next time I open up the CW.
Now I always give credit where it is do, I conracted CW and spoke to a Tech, he aggreed that FFc was what I need to change. I had the cable in my hands in 2 days with express mail. The PDF to replace it was great and was to the point.
Thanks Doc for the tip about the FFC cable in the first place, I would have never looked for that as a problem.

Thanks again

Myshop