PDA

View Full Version : Pine too soft?

Bob K
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I just tried to make a sign using white pine with the letters raised 1/4" above the carved region and the results were definitely ungood. The letters crumbled to the touch. I suspect that the problem lies with the material and not with the CW. Is there a technique to avoid this or should I just stay away from pine.

Jeff
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Softwoods are definitely a problem. I've had much better results with hardwoods or ply. I've also had mixed results with mdf but I've used it a bunch. If the remaining material is thin, it will break.

Try hardwood or ply and see if you have the same results. I doubt you will.

Jeff

cmorlier
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Also, I'm not sure what you carving looks like, but the Designer does not currently take the taper of the carving bit into account. It only accounts for the ball radius at the tip. So the deeper you go on vertical transitions the more loss you will get at the surface.

I recommend that you try shallowing it up a bit and using bolder fonts.

pkunk
08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Also, I'm not sure what you carving looks like, but the .

I recommend that you try shallowing it up a bit and using bolder fonts.
Or make it a little larger and space the letters farther apart.

Aaron B
08-31-2006, 02:33 PM
...but the Designer does not currently take the taper of the carving bit into account.....

Is this on the list for the Designer?

cmorlier
08-31-2006, 04:02 PM
It is being considered, but I don't know if it is officially on the feature list yet.

irv doty
09-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Bob,

Sealing soft wood before you carve it will also help reduce chip out. I use varnish diluted about 50% with paint thinner.

Good luck, Irv Doty

osia12
09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Would it be ok to use something like Miinwax Wood hardener? with the resin seaping into the wood then hardening?

irv doty
09-27-2006, 07:44 AM
That would also work. Most of the things I do on the CW cut into most (if not all) of the surface so the initial sealing of the wood does not interfer with the final finish.

Good luck, Irv