PDA

View Full Version : z axis stall error 299 need a little advice

crazyhammer
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
OK, Here goes

As you can see in the pictures I'm losing my depth as the carve progresses. I've read several threads and have cleaned the encoder and removed all dust from the Z motor.. There was quite a bit of dust in the encoder. I've had this for almost 2 years and it has a down draft + side + top dust collector. Although It's only had the dust collection for about 4 months. I have had really good luck over all when compared to most people. The machine has around 200hrs on it. There is no dust inside the gear box for ther Z motor and the belt is in great condition. The bearings are good "unless" one of the new bearings are bad but.. there is no binding on the Z truck rails when moving the truck up and down by hand.The Z truck is new. Does anyone know what might be another cause for this? Or is replacing the encoder more than likely what needs to be done... Also if there is an informational thread that you may advise me to look at please post..

Thanks to anyone who can advise me on this !!!

Also wanted to add that the machine does not shut down.. It continues to carve and when I noticed the depth problem and stopped the machine with the stop button, that's when I get the error code..

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Two years old, the first thing that I would ask is, New Z or Old Z? The Old Z is known for this problem....

See Pictures...

Old Z Long Cooling Fins on the Z Motor

New Z Short Cooling Fins on the Z Motor.

Old 16 thiner wires, New 14 Thicker Wires.

If you have the new Z then I would buy a new 14 FSC Cable, the flex that feeds the Z.

If you have the OLD Z and install the 14 pin FSC Cable then you might SMOKE the Motor or Computer Driver. Be SURE which one you have.... A While back a Tech sent a 14 pin cable to someone and he had the OLD 16 pin Z and it Smoked something.... Had to make the Big Trip to Texas.... The Tech may not think to ASK.....14 or 16 pin?

Baring all this is not your problem.... Then we have 3 other things....

Bit is slipping in the holder.....

Loose Z or Y Bearing....

OR.... The 2 Screws on the back of the Z holding the Z Belt are LOOSE.... I have had that... Picture 3 showing another problem but see the 2 screws holding the belt. That circuit board and flat cable are not used anymore and may be missing.

Good Luck,

AL

crazyhammer
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you for that information... I'll check and make sure all is good. I've already checked the Bit,,bearings,, and cleaned the encoder. What I did find after I posted this was that the encoder could freely turn on the shaft.. It wasn't loose but with very little effort I was able to spin it without the shaft moving. I've taken the advice I've found in some other post and I'm now testing to see if it was the problem. I'll post what I find..

AskBud
02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Looking at your pictures, I would say that your bit is dull (look at the curls on the edge of your cut). This will place too much pressure on the Truck and could cause the problem.
AskBud

crazyhammer
02-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Loose encoder was the problem... over 75% into the carve with no problems. I put a drop of Super Glue on the encoder and it seems to have fix the problem. The bit is pretty new but, that doesn't mean it's not dull. I'll replace it and thanks for pointing that out. During all of this I overlooked the fact that it was peeling.

mtylerfl
02-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Loose encoder was the problem... over 75% into the carve with no problems. I put a drop of Super Glue on the encoder and it seems to have fix the problem. The bit is pretty new but, that doesn't mean it's not dull. I'll replace it and thanks for pointing that out. During all of this I overlooked the fact that it was peeling.

That type of curling can also occur because the wood is too 'wet' (not necessarily a dull bit). Try kiln-dried wood (such as Select Pine for your test) and see if it does the same thing - if so - dull bit - if not - the wood probably had too much moisture/pitch content.