PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newbie on shell carving

barracuda48
02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm receiving my carvewright the 22 of February and I have a project lined up already. I have wooden jach-arches above the windows in my home. Currently, they are just plain with white paint on them. I want to use the carvewright to carve a deep relief overland shell carving in each arch.

My question is should I leave the corners on the arches at 90 degrees while carving and then cut the correct angles after the carving is through or does it really matter? Probably a silly question but I'm totally new to this.

Thanks in advance.

cnsranch
02-19-2010, 09:12 AM
My question is should I leave the corners on the arches at 90 degrees while carving and then cut the correct angles after the carving is through?

I would, given the proper tools.

Metalhead781
02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
It's usually a good idea to never put anything in the machine that isn't either square and straight or in a sled. Angles at the ends and corners can throw off the tracking of the brass roller and you can end up with errors and/or bad carves.

A couple things you might want to pick up before you receive your machine. 3 in 1 oil for the QC and some molly chain lube for the flex. Just in case. If you have the cash a delta or porter cable adjustable tool stand for this machine works great. Specially in a small shop or garage.

Enjoy
MetalHead