PDA

View Full Version : Strange X-Drive Behavior-Need help / opinion

Griz64
02-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Last week my sandpaper belts stopped moving and the machine was making a horrible noise so I called LHR to let them listen to it. They had me pull the plastic cover that is over the gears and look at the gears. I did as they asked and found one of my gears had several broken teeth. They sent me a new X drive train which is all the gears mounted on a plate. I got the train installed with no problem. The directions suggest turning the gears by hand to make sure they are easy to turn and have meshed properly. So I turned it about 10 times clockwise with no problems at all. for some reason I decided to do the same thing counter clockwise since the belts move in both directions. When I did this the gears locked up on me about the 6th time so I tried to force it past that stuck point. I put as much counter clockwise pressure on it as I dared and the gears remained frozen. I then tried to move the gears in the clockwise direction and with a little pressure it broke loose and started spinning again. I took the gears off and inspected them again and no broken pieces and no missing teeth. Here is my problem / question. The only time the gearset wants to lock up is when it is rotating counter clockwise (anti-clockwise for those of you across the pond). Without the gears in place the sandpaper belts rotate in both directions just fine with no resistance whatsoever. Given all this information it leads me to believe the x drive motor is the problem since it is the only thing left in the drivetrain. I think something inside the motor let go or broke. It could be brushes, magnets, armature or something else.
Thoughts...Ideas...Suggestions...HELP-please
BTW sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to get all the details in. Machine has 247 hours on it.

liquidguitars
02-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I think AL said something about checking the grease for old broken teeth that can muck up the new gears..

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I would pull both sand paper trays and rotate the belts looking for a rolled up belt that is jamming at one point in it's movement. It could be a chunk of WOOD inside the belts acting like a speed bump inside the belt....

Could be a binding of the new plate. Someone posted about loosening the center screw and the gears worked properly. Tighten and the gears bind.

Good Luck,

AL

Griz64
02-20-2010, 12:04 AM
LG-ok I looked today and cleaned out every bit of grease I could find and looked at it very closely and nothing to cause it to stop spinning...other suggestions?

AL-good call about the chunk of wood acting like a speed bump. Unfortunately I saw this post after I got home from my shop. I will try it tomorrow. As for the center screw thing-I too thought about that and took it out completely and tested it again and it still locks up. So, it seems to me, the screw really had no bearing on the locking up....any other suggestions?

Thanks guys for responding so quickly too.