PDA

View Full Version : Is STL Importer the Proper Tool to Carve This Piece?

5twenty
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm trying to understand if STL Importer is the proper tool for my application and if not, what is. Would someone be so kind to tell me if I'm on the right track?

It seems like everything I see about STL importer is about slicing up a 3D model. I don't want to slice my 3D model, I want to put the whole thing INSIDE my blank piece of wood and carve the piece from both sides to complete it. I also want to put the standard carving patterns on one side like you would in CarveWright designer.

If someone would just point me in the right direction I can usually pick it up from there. I just don't know where to go with my 3D model (.3ds file) to get it into designer and inside my carving board.

The photos below show what I am trying to make with my CarveWright.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

sk8nmike
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Yes, I do this kind of work all the time. You will need to make 2 patterns, a front and a back.

5twenty
02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, I do this kind of work all the time. You will need to make 2 patterns, a front and a back.

Do you know how I get there from my 3D model? How do I turn that into 2 patterns? Is this where the slicing comes into play?

Kenm810
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Dan,

Is this something like what you're trying to Carve?
I just made up the dimensions 6x9x.375,
and added text on one side and a graphic on the other.
It's all done in CW Designer.

5twenty
02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Dan,

Is this something like what you're trying to Carve?
I just made up the dimensions 6x9x.375,
and added text on one side and a graphic on the other.
It's all done in CW Designer.

Thats exactly what I'm looking to do except I need EXTREMELY accurate, predetermined curves and angles. It's easy to do in my 3D modeling software. I guess I better take another look at what designer can do. Thanks for your input.

5twenty
02-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Anyone else know if I can accomplish my goal with STL Importer?

liquidguitars
02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
3DS to STL to Designer= WOW!

LG

I'm trying to understand if STL Importer is the proper tool for my application and if not, what is. Would someone be so kind to tell me if I'm on the right track?

It seems like everything I see about STL importer is about slicing up a 3D model. I don't want to slice my 3D model, I want to put the whole thing INSIDE my blank piece of wood and carve the piece from both sides to complete it. I also want to put the standard carving patterns on one side like you would in CarveWright designer.

If someone would just point me in the right direction I can usually pick it up from there. I just don't know where to go with my 3D model (.3ds file) to get it into designer and inside my carving board.

The photos below show what I am trying to make with my CarveWright.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

5twenty
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
3DS to STL to Designer= WOW!

LG

Is that a yes? BTW, LG, I'm trying to do what you do, only with drums.

DocWheeler
02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I have just spent several days trying to clean up my shop. In the process I ran across quite a few pieces of wood that were shaped like that.:mrgreen:
Send me the sizes that you are after and I'll check my inventory!

mtylerfl
02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I have just spent several days trying to clean up my shop. In the process I ran across quite a few pieces of wood that were shaped like that.:mrgreen:

Good one, Ken!

5twenty
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM

That's very kind of you but I'm really trying very hard to find out whether STL Importer will allow me to carve these from my 3DS models.

Does anyone have the answer? I don't want to spend $300 to find out I've selected the wrong tool.

lynnfrwd
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
What is the final output size of this piece supposed to be?

mtylerfl
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
That's very kind of you but I'm really trying very hard to find out whether STL Importer will allow me to carve these from my 3DS models.

Does anyone have the answer? I don't want to spend $300 to find out I've selected the wrong tool.

Hello,

The STL Importer allows you to create slices of your STL models and save each slice as a CarveWright pattern (PTN). You carve each one with your machine and glue them together to yield a fully 3D model (or 2½D depending upon the model). If your model is no thicker than 0.8", then there is probably no need to slice it into sections, but of course you can still import the STL and save it as a PTN for the CarveWright.

You might want to view the four demo videos to see an overview of the process. Here's the link:
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/STLimporter

Here's a link to a tennis shoe STL model that was imported and carved:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12155&highlight=shoes

liquidguitars
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Ya! it works no slicing necessary import the STL model then scale it to the world size and your golden..

Remember the CW will only carve .80: thick so you will need to make sure you have the depth you need.

Here is a part off R3 that I carved using the STL inporter..

Shows the wireframe out of Lightwave.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ViolinTailpeiceSTLR002.jpg

the part out of the unit.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ViolinTailpeiceSTLR001.jpg

LG

5twenty
02-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks, everyone. I've imported my first 3D model and I'm going to try carving in the morning,

Thanks again.

hogiewan
02-20-2010, 10:18 AM

I'm trying to do drum shells as well. I would have cut some out already if I wasn't in the process of moving. I modeled a snare in SolidWorks and imported it with the STL importer. If the model is .75" or less (i.e. slice it first) you don't have to do any slices and you mark it as a 2-sided carve and it will make 2 patterns.