PDA

View Full Version : Selling your work....

Juno2
08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this. We are curious how we can get started selling our work. If anyone has suggestions on some ways to get started even, that would be awesome! Or, if there is a place in the forum that I've overlooked with information about it, just point me to it. :wink:

BobHill
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Juno,

What type of work are you doing? How about doing signs in wood and take samples around to various people (shops) that look like they could use a new one and use this type of sign (B&Bs, Antiques, Crafts, etc.) Or do plaques, awards, or imagination.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
08-28-2006, 09:10 PM
I've shown samples to several shops, and have made sales. I also have a Lumberyard sign for the local LY and at the bottom is a small "signs by _____". Word of mouth is your best sales protocol. :lol:

soomro
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Guys, I know this is touchy question, but I am too trying to figure out how to sell some my signs and work in Dallas area. But I am very new to woodworking industry and have no idea on pricing the work. Any hints/elp would be greatly appreciated.

BobHill
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Soomro,

Figure out the cost of your supplies, how long dod YOU spend on the sign (piece). Then how an hour for YOUR time. How much should you add for your equipment? I'd go easy at first with that. Now how many takers will you get? That'll give you a clue as to if you're asking too much, too little, or about right. There is no such thing as a set price for any area and each area of the country would be completely different and dependent upon many factors, such as how many sign makers are there in the area, etc.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Guys, I know this is touchy question, but I am too trying to figure out how to sell some my signs and work in Dallas area. But I am very new to woodworking industry and have no idea on pricing the work. Any hints/elp would be greatly appreciated.
OK, to give you an idea.....My shop rate is $60 an hour. That usually includes 2 people, normal shop materials(ie-glue, sandpaper, etc.) and exclusive of the wood required for the job. Most of my work involves weekly lumber deliveries of $1000 or more.
For the majority of the small signs I make I can use scraps from the larger jobs that would otherwise be burned or thrown away so I don't charge for the wood. As to quoting a price in advance - I have (now) a fair idea of how long a particular sign might take on the machine and what kind of time to paint letters and apply a finish. I charge accordingly and get rejected on a regular basis. So be it. I will not work for nothing and at this point if the machine sits idle, it has paid for it's self already. BTW, it has 63 hrs on the cut motor -you figure the $$$ and that's just the machine - not the finishing time. :D

soomro
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks you all. Both of your suggestions definetly gives me ideas and even inspiration.

Thanks
Munawar

"If you give nothing, soon you'll have nothing to give"