PDA

View Full Version : 3d laser scanner

Merlin
02-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Has anyone used a 3d laser scanner to create a pattern. We have 3d laser scanners that we use to scan buildings, and we need to recreate these buildings using carvewright system. Any idea how to do this?

dbfletcher
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Has anyone used a 3d laser scanner to create a pattern. We have 3d laser scanners that we use to scan buildings, and we need to recreate these buildings using carvewright system. Any idea how to do this?

If you can export to STL sounds like a good canidate for the stl importer.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
We have 3d laser scanners that we use to scan buildings

If you have a smaller cad file in DXF or OBJ I will try a test loading into Lightwave to generate a STL then save out a MPC.

LG

earlyrider
02-17-2010, 11:36 PM
We have a NextEngine scanner, and use a couple programs to cleanup and seal the scans then convert to STL. Z-brush is one of them. Works well with the STL importer. The biggest problem I've had is where to slice the object. I haven't done enough STLs with the CW to be confident yet. With the detailed organic shapes I deal with, I still need to solve the resolution dilemma (probably simple, but haven't had time to work on it).
Ron

Pratyeka
02-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Depends what type of buildings you want to replicate. Are they basic boxes or more intricate, like lots of curves and angles?

one way to increase resolution is to process each slice with photoshop. Take the slice, convert to .png, load it into photoshop, then increase the image size and resolution. Apply various filters to smooth out the details.

liquidguitars
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
LHR's STL importer will load any 3D Cad object directly into Designer without a issue , if your model is clean so will your MPC in Designer. ;)

LG

jessrice
02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey Earlyrider

Stealing the thread for second!

We have a NextEngine scanner, and use a couple programs to cleanup and seal the scans then convert to STL.
Ron

I have been thinking about getting a nextengine scanner. How do you likeit overall, does it work/would it work well to get 3d carves from the carvewright? do you have the standard or HD model?

Thanks
Jesse

Digitalwoodshop
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't want to push you away from the CW but last summer Chris from the Forum and my Brother and I visited New Wave Woodworking a few miles away at the invite from member Guy Mathews.

Check out this site and Guy's contact info is on the bottom of the page.

http://www.polhemus.com/?page=Scanning_Case_Studies_New_Wave_Woodworking

And for some videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/gjmathews#p/u/2/Xtd-xFukZQ4

Guy is also a member of the Sawmill Creek Forum and there has been many posts about this topic. Guy has 2 different scanning systems and is very proficient at this.

He does not have a CW yet, I was going to loan him one. He has a bunch of CNC machine capability....

Worth checking out his posts on the topic.

Good Luck,

AL

earlyrider
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Jessrice,
One of my partners is using the scanner and a couple SW (Zbrush and another) to clean up and modify the scans. I don't know which model of NE scanner he has, but it does well with smaller objects (about 10 inches cubed). So far most of the STLs have been 3D prints (a 4' dinosaur skeleton and other individual bones). I've used the CW to carve one Dryosaur femur and a trilobite so far with mixed results. Need to do many more to become proficient and avoid the 'stupid' errors. Practice makes good enough! Nothing is perfect, especially when I'm envolved.:rolleyes:
Ron