PDA

View Full Version : new machine y axis problems.

4woodard
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
just started using our machine- we are only asking for a few words to be engraved on a board. we did some test wood first and it did ok, but now almost as soon as it starts carving, the bit kind of "jumps", then a y axis error 299 comes up. any help out there?
also, i want to make this piece a frame. is there a template available or instruciotns for a frame that is plain so i can add words to the front top and bottom?
thanks for any help. we live in Hawaii, so we have to get up early to call for support.
mw

c6craig
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
just started using our machine- we are only asking for a few words to be engraved on a board. we did some test wood first and it did ok, but now almost as soon as it starts carving, the bit kind of "jumps", then a y axis error 299 comes up. any help out there?
also, i want to make this piece a frame. is there a template available or instruciotns for a frame that is plain so i can add words to the front top and bottom?
thanks for any help. we live in Hawaii, so we have to get up early to call for support.
mw

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine.

When you say the bit kind of "jumps" along with a Y axis error the first thing I would suggest you look at is the Y rails (the rails that move left to right, that the Z Truck travels on. Make sure you clean them well, and make sure that the belts are blown out well, it could be hitting a wood chip and jumping.

You can do a search for "picture frame" or "frame" and get some patterns here. Here is 1 to start out your search.

Good luck,
Craig

c6craig
02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Also, another great link to download free patterns by the members of the forum. It may be easier for you to find what you need on here. Some of the picture frame patterns I found were too large to post.

http://www.mediafire.com/cncartguild

Good luck,
Craig

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2010, 11:23 PM
MW,

Welcome !!!! So we are talking about the left to right from keypad to the other side (Y) not board length, or sand paper drive (X) correct?

If we are talking Y or right to left...

A few things can trip you up.... First since you are new it could be that the bit slipped in the bit holder. Bit's from LHR have been known to slide up or down inside the bit holder.... For new bits you should always remove the set screws and reset them with blue lock tite to keep this from happening.

Could be a loose Y belt.

If we are talking X axis or sand paper belt....

It is most common for the brass roller to loose contact with the board and cause the board to move more than expected. The brass roller is the feedback to the computer telling it that the board moved to the correct position. If the board looses contact with the board then it keeps moving until the brass roller gets to the right position.

This is usually caused by not keeping the board under both rollers and held flat to the belts and more importantly, the brass roller. If you don't keep the board under both rollers then it can tip up and loose contact with the brass roller OR cause a stall in the Z Axis.

If the board is hardwood then it can slip on the bottom of the board due to the smoothness. Masking tape placed along the board at the brass roller track area can help as it gives the brass roller something to bite into.

A great place to study is Tips and Tricks, it tells you all about the many Pilot errors we all went through learning the system. It will explain the 7 inch rule of wood, Sleds, Scaling Projects, and more. Sure beats a long distance phone call and $25.00 paid to LHR to answer your question.

Also you can use the search function. Just remember to pace " " around your search words. Changing from find Threads to Find Posts makes reading faster.

So my tips to you are, use masking tape and try to design projects to stay under both rollers for less problems. Not staying under the rollers is like riding a bike with one hand... Most of the time there is no problem.... But when there is you will crash.... Or Stall the machine....

Are you guys Military? Hawaii... Great Place :mrgreen:

We are here to HELP....

Welcome....

AL

USN Retired

4woodard
02-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine.

When you say the bit kind of "jumps" along with a Y axis error the first thing I would suggest you look at is the Y rails (the rails that move left to right, that the Z Truck travels on. Make sure you clean them well, and make sure that the belts are blown out well, it could be hitting a wood chip and jumping.

You can do a search for "picture frame" or "frame" and get some patterns here. Here is 1 to start out your search.

Good luck,
Craig
Aloha Craig,
Thanks for taking the time to answer us- we will check it out tomorrow and hope that solves the problem.
As for the frame info- you said I can do a search, but where do I search?
mahalo,
margaret

c6craig
02-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Aloha Craig,
Thanks for taking the time to answer us- we will check it out tomorrow and hope that solves the problem.
As for the frame info- you said I can do a search, but where do I search?
mahalo,
margaret

I have enclosed screenshots for where to find the search for both here on the forum and over at mediafire, hope that helps. On the forum it helps if you use the quotation marks around your search, and you will need them if any of the words are less than 4 characters.

Good luck,
Craig

johnwarsing
02-16-2010, 08:51 PM
I have the same problem I don't know what to do will some one please E-Mail me and let me know what to do John W johnwarsing@charter.net

fwharris
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I have the same problem I don't know what to do will some one please E-Mail me and let me know what to do John W johnwarsing@charter.net

John,

Are you saying you have the same Y stall error???