PDA

View Full Version : Is there any training available in the KC area?

Sarge43
02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm in KC and bought the CarveWright machine with some very specific ideas of what I want it to do in my mind. I'm sure these are very basic operations for you that have used and are experienced on the machine, but to me, they're confusing. I have very limited "play time" to eat up experimenting and was wondering if there were any training classes available to shorten the process? I'm not impatient, I simply have more demands on my time than I have time to use. :mrgreen: If it's not outside the forum rules to say, I'm willing to hire someone local to come show me how to do what it is I want my machine to do.
Specifically, I need to know how to set it up to scan something, then replicate it in a different piece of wood. Sounds simple, but when I got into it, there were a number of "iffy" variables that made me put the machine back under it's plastic bag and move on to something else.
Any help or information is appreciated!
Sarge

AskBud
02-15-2010, 04:53 PM
If you get no members in your area, check this link and see if they have a unit in their teaching area. Perhaps they can help.
AskBud
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/Default.aspx?locationType=state&location=KS

mtylerfl
02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm in KC and bought the CarveWright machine with some very specific ideas of what I want it to do in my mind. I'm sure these are very basic operations for you that have used and are experienced on the machine, but to me, they're confusing. I have very limited "play time" to eat up experimenting and was wondering if there were any training classes available to shorten the process? I'm not impatient, I simply have more demands on my time than I have time to use. :mrgreen: If it's not outside the forum rules to say, I'm willing to hire someone local to come show me how to do what it is I want my machine to do.
Specifically, I need to know how to set it up to scan something, then replicate it in a different piece of wood. Sounds simple, but when I got into it, there were a number of "iffy" variables that made me put the machine back under it's plastic bag and move on to something else.
Any help or information is appreciated!
Sarge

Hello Sarge,

It's not difficult, but I understand that anything new can be a little intimidating.

I made a short video a few years ago that shows the basic process for scanning. The only thing that has changed is that the probe wire no longer plugs into the Z-truck if your machine is a recent vintage (it plugs into the receptacle to the left-inside of the clear cover now). Otherwise, the process is the same.

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvideo_how_it_works.html

Also, please read the Tips & Tricks newsletters (the link is below my signature). There are some specific ones that may help you regarding scanning/editing. Here are the links to those particular articles:

- ISSUE 9 June 2008
"Scanning Sled Techniques" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jun08.pdf)

- ISSUE 10 July 2008
"The CarveWright Pattern Editor" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_July08.pdf)

- ISSUE 11 August 2008
"The Pattern Editor - (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf)
De-Noise & Quantize " (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf)

CarverJerry
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Michael, thanks from this end. The wife is buying me the probe for my BD next month so I'm sure I will be using it for a learning tool. Just the video alone was cool and worth its weight in gold. thanks again 8)

CJ

Sarge43
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check it out!
Sarge

Griz64
02-17-2010, 01:25 AM
I live in Shawnee, Kansas. I am fairly new to this as well. I have had my unit about 5 or 6 months and have done some good things with it. I am by NO MEANS an expert but am willing to help you in any way I can.

cnsranch
02-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Sarge

My home's in Louisburg, but my offices are in Overland Park.

Anything I may be able to do to help, I'm all in - no charge (if I paid the guys who have helped me over this last two years, I'd be broke :rolleyes:)

If you'd like, pm me with your phone number, I'd be happy to give you a call.

BTW, I intend to be at the Woodworking Show at the OP Trade Mart on Sunday - been trying to hook up with Dan-Woodman, and he'll be there with his club around the Noon hour.

Dan-Woodman
02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I'll be there from 10:00---12:00 sunday. no machine , just some projects I have done ,nothing fancy like some of you guys. I do not have a probe, so can't help you there . Sounds like CNSRANCH knows about it.
later Daniel

Sarge43
03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Thank you for the replies! Hopefully I'll be up and running with this. I have contacted one of the responders to this thread and we'll see if he can get me on the straight and narrow here.
Thank you all for your help!
Sarge

Sarge43
03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I have to give credit where credit is due -
cnsranch contacted me and spent some time on the phone giving me tips and advice on what I need to look for. Very nice guy and generous to boot.
I actually got the machine turned on last weekend and scanned my first thing. In a "DOH!" moment, I realized that months ago, when I bought the machine, I registered it under some name and password that I promptly forgot, so now I can't get into the full version of the software and play with it until I call the carvewright folks and get it figured out.
Anyway, thank you cnsranch for your time and advice, I appreciate it!
Sarge

cnsranch
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Any time.

FYI, just for the fun of it, when I first started scanning, I took a shot at my "snakecharmer". You'll notice that I messed up, and didn't get my scanning points exactly right (end of barrel is cut off), but if you look close at the image attached, you'll see the "roughness" of the scan that really needs some work in Pattern Editor before carving. It's "bumpy", and will carve EXACTLY like it shows.

Best of luck, we're all looking forward to some pics of your work. A lot of guys have asked about creating the type of work you're up to, and will be very interested in your output.