PDA

View Full Version : Rock Bit

MCGEE2SKINNER
02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
HI GUYS
What the heck am I doing wrong? The last 2 carves I did the bit moved up into the rock? I just know it's something stupid I'm doing or not doing. I't won't be hard for you guys to come up with the answer.
Thanks Again
JIM

rjustice
02-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Jim,
It is likely that you are not orienting the sleeve, or the flats on the tools properly... Please see the attached photos for the proper orientation. This will allow you to get the most clamping pressure on the bit. You want the slit, or the flat facing towards the Hex in the clamp screw where you insert the "T" handle for tightening up the bit.

Let me know how you come out...

Thanks,

Ron

MCGEE2SKINNER
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Ron
Totally forgot about bit position that solved the problen Love the ROCK
JIM

Rocky
02-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Jim,
It is likely that you are not orienting the sleeve, or the flats on the tools properly... Please see the attached photos for the proper orientation. This will allow you to get the most clamping pressure on the bit. You want the slit, or the flat facing towards the Hex in the clamp screw where you insert the "T" handle for tightening up the bit.

Let me know how you come out...

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

I haven't had a problem like this, so far so good. Only one of my bits have a flat spot and the others without the flat spot work fine. What am I doing right? Sounds like a screwy question, but why aren't mine slipping?

Thanks

AskBud
02-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Ron,

I haven't had a problem like this, so far so good. Only one of my bits have a flat spot and the others without the flat spot work fine. What am I doing right? Sounds like a screwy question, but why aren't mine slipping?

Thanks

Rocky,
With the Rock Chuck the "flat spot" on the bits are to be avoided as they are the source of possible bad clamping (if not positioned correctly). The locking mechanism must not touch the flat.
AskBud

Rocky
02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Rocky,
With the Rock Chuck the "flat spot" on the bits are to be avoided as they are the source of possible bad clamping (if not positioned correctly). The locking mechanism must not touch the flat.
AskBud

Thanks, AskBud. I guess I misinterpreted the issue. DAH!

rjustice
02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
This is correct, you are likely just "getting lucky"... as you want to avoid clamping on the flat on the tool when using the Rock Chuck. If you are using a sleeve, the flat location doesnt matter, only the slit in the sleeve. Again, face either towards the hex in the clamp screw where you insert the "T" handle, and it will place the clamp nut in the correct position.

Happy Carving,

Ron