PDA

View Full Version : Version 1.031 or something else?

Randy in Minn
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Anyone having trouble having stuff centering on the new version? I attached a file below (or will try at least). These are being made for a church. The carvings etc all appear centered on the PC but carve and route off may .1-.2 inches to the left when carved. Mever had the problem before. Is it me or???

cmorlier
08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi Randy,

I just want to get a reference. When you say to the left, do you mean looking at the board as it is loaded in the machine from the keypad?

I will look into it at this end.

Randy in Minn
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
the machine has 2 sides. Key pad side and other side. Key pad side will be the top of the carvings. At least it is on my designs. By left, I mean the left side of finished carving when looking at the carving. The design is being shifted maybe .1-.2 inches to the left of the board. I should add, the design calls for a 3x12 baord and that is what I am putting in. It is Close but it has done it before. That make sense??

cmorlier
08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
That makes sense, we will try reproduce this at our end. I will let you know if we find something.

cmorlier
08-24-2006, 03:24 PM
We have run some tests at this end, and have not found any bugs that cause this.

I suggest running the Calibrate Offsets function from the Options menu. It could be that your measurement offsets are a little off.

Another thing to check is the Board Sensor level, which you can look at under the Sensor Check item in the Options menu. Just press the up or down arrow until you see the screen with the Board Sensor on it. The level should read nearly 160 when the sensor is over the board and less than 10 when the Y (horizontal) truck is all the way to the left.

Let me know if the sensor levels are off or if the Calibrate Offsets doesn't help.

Randy in Minn
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
will try this weekend. Thanks for the tips and testing.

Randy in Minn
08-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Chris, I did as you suggested. Now when trying a test board I get a fatal error 2 reboot machine message. Will try to down load it to you guys today. Board sensor levels were 162 and 10 like you mentioned. No problem there.

pkunk
08-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Randy, are you useing a Mac?

Randy in Minn
08-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Paul, nope. Using a Dell PC, windows XP.
Error 2 has disappeared. Maybe I was not shuttign down the Carvewright long enough. Over night seemed to fix it. But the machine is still not centering projects. I am working around it this weekend by using a slightly bigger board and cropping off the excess. It is frustrating though. Everything is shifted to the left yet by about .2 inch.

Ron Baird
08-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Put a board 10' x12' in the m/c and have the m/c measure it then turn it 90 degrees and measure it again and see if the measurements are correct. Also make sure your boards are not warped so the tracking wheel does not contact the board in some spots.

cmorlier
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Randy,

The Fatal Error 2 problem is a known issue with the current release, when the backlash measurement has a problem. Ron's suggestion about making sure the tracking roller keep good contact is definitely something to check. However, on some machines this error can occur even if the tracking roller is in contact, so if this appears to be the case, let me know and I will get you a fix for it.

As for the centering, we will keep trying to reproduce the problem at this end. Centering is a little bit tricky, because the board goes off of the tracking roller so it is hard to maintain the accuracy of the machine. That said, 0.2" off center is not acceptable and we will work to improve this.

Randy in Minn
08-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Chris, I thank you for your efforts. An update. I made 5 signs like that oval one today. Just modified a tad. Update is attached called TEST. All were off to the left by a solid .25. Based on a stanley tape. I am working around for now because the outside oval is just to mark for cutting it out. But when I start a couple pannel doors mid fall it might be a problem. Also the error 2 message comes up occasionally this weekend. I DO have the pressure rollers down all the way and lumber is flat. Seems like if I remove the piece and re insert it, it usually takes. Dont know why. Wood is in same way/direction second time. Second pattern attached is similar but rectangular. That too is off to the left by .25 inches. I also just did a 1/2 inch boarder route as a test. Nothing else on the board. That was off by .25 inches to the left too. One last question while I have you. I have maybe 16 carving hours on the machine. How frequently should I be relubing the flex shaft. I remember a note from Eric on how to do it but I dont remember how frequently.

cmorlier
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
For the centering problem, one other thing to check is to make sure your tracking roller (the little brass roller between the belts) is okay. Make sure that it spins freely and that the rubber o-ring is in place next to the teeth.

On the flexshaft lubrication, there is still some discussion on best practices for this. The concern is that putting too much lubrication on the shaft can cause other problems (see message here: http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302).

The machine currently warns the user at 20 hour intervals. This is probably more of a minimum time, and it is probably only necessary every 30-50 hours. The best option is to check your flexshaft every so often just after a run, by feeling the temperature of the flexshaft sheathing. If the flexshaft is warm, that is okay as long as it is not uncomfortable to touch. The temperature of the shaft should also be consistent along the length. If you do notice the sheath getting too hot at any particular location, then pull the shaft out and lubricate it in the area of the heating.

cmorlier
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Randy,

Just curious is you project being scaled when you run it? Someone is reporting a similar centering issue on another thread. So I am just trying to find common thread between your problems.

Randy in Minn
09-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Ahh, not that I KNOW Chris but how do I tell? I am making the pattern to actual finished size as far as I can tell on the software and loading boards that are exactly the size (as close as a tape measure will allow) as is defined in the pattern. Does that answer your question?

cmorlier
09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
One of the prompts when you load the board will be "Keep Original Size", "Scale To Width", or "Scale To Length". However, if the machine detects your board as very close to the designed size you will not be prompted. If you select "Keep Original Size" or are not prompted with any of the prompts listed, then you are not scaling.

Randy in Minn
09-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Nope! Not getting any of those prompts. Occasionally get a Center on width or length prompt Whe I on purpose cut a board to wide or long for later work.

JimStaley
09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I have same problem. See my query in CarveWright Machine.