PDA

View Full Version : z Axis Problem?

Merlin
02-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I started a long carving project yesterday, and 20% into the carve or 3 hours, the z axis decided to carve shallower than programmed. Luckily, i was watching and stopped the carve. Unfortunately, the next time the z axis decided to carve deeper, and broke right through the board. Any sugguestions on what might have happened and how to fix it??

rjustice
02-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Merlin,
Welcome to the forum. First thing to check is that the bit is not slipping, since it happened in the middle of a carve. Did it make a very gradual change in depth or is it more like stairstepping?.... If it is very distinct stair steps, i am inclined to think that the "Z" belt could be jumping cogs, this would happen from either a loose belt, or from getting an excessive amount of sawdust plugged up in the cog belt.
If it is more gradual, it tends to point towards a Z encoder problem if it isnt a slipping bit. There has been alot of posts about the z motor having a ton of dust in them lately. If you do choose to pull the back off of the motor, gently blow the dust out of the encoder wheel, make sure it is clean, and put it back together. Another member posted pictures a couple days ago showing an excessive amount of dust inside of his... It was LG that posted the pics.

Hope this helps...

Ron

bjbethke
02-14-2010, 02:48 PM
It sounds like the information you gave, your machine was carving great for three hours, to me it sounds like you have a chip problem. And it is the Z truck giving you the problems; First thing I would ask you is do you have a down draft system on your machine. I think that is the best way to go, you can clean the chips with a hand held unit, it works, but to me it is not the best way. You may want to check the belt that drives your Z truck - Chips can pack into that belt and also the Y belt. Could be other problems but I would check that first. Running great for three hours I think you have a great machine. And it sounds like a chip thing. Check that and give us more detail we are here to help.

Merlin
02-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I took the instrument apart today and found that it had some dirt in with the z encoder motor wheel but more importantly I had a loose bearing on the y axis... did a small carve and all is well. Will try a longer one now... Proceeding with close watch

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Good Job !!!!

Seeing you only have 2 posts I wanted to mention this as it is not found very often now but was a big problem in the past with the Z.

Look at the pictures and see what version of the Z you have? The Early Z Units did this... It was fixed by the Z Bundle Upgrade.

Since it is possible for a old machine to be stuck in some distribution center and now pop up in the system.

The New Z Bundle changes 2 circuit boards and the big flat cable bringing power to the Z. The new one has 14 pins where the old one had 16 thinner pins.

Here are the pictures... Look at the cooling fins on the motor and the wing clips on the new circuit board.

Welcome,

AL

mabco12
02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Al,
Your the man and so is the rest of the carvewright forum participants!!!

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow... 2 Compliments in one day..... Thanks LG too... My hat is feeling tight... The Head is swelling up with ego.... LOL.....

I just try to look at alternate reasons why a problem might be happening... I have been scooped many times in the last few weeks. There are many with the quick correct answers, and that is a GOOD Thing...

And if you look at the big picture of machine problems, there is very little in new machine problems showing just how far LHR has progressed in making a very reliable machine.

AL

Merlin
02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I just finished a 19 hour carve, actually abut 6 hours carve and 12 hours wait for me time, with my instrument. The carve finished with acceptable results, but during the carve the allen key holding the bit in the qc adaptor came throught the side of the qc. I have ordered another qc and will start carving once again when it arrives. Think this problem is finished and I have started on again with another......
thanks again for your help.....:) for all