PDA

View Full Version : X drive gear... slipping???

klingler
02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Guys, I'm at my wits end. I am getting a tracking roller error on every board - no matter what board I use. Here's the sequence of events...

1. Load a board and follow the prompts. The board sensor measures the width on the Y axis, then begins the X measurement.
2. When the board travels to the extreme right (facing the keypad), the sensor finds the left edge of the board.
3. The board then moves left and right just slightly to verify the edge and then it happens. TRACKING ERROR!

I can put any piece of wood in there, big or small it doesn't matter, it fails in the exact same spot every time.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot...

1. Verified the board is not hung on the guides.
2. Checked sensor - clean.
3. Verified roller moves freely - it does.
4. The rubber o-ring is in the right place.
5. I am using masking tape and can see the marks where they should be.

So, this makes me think there may be something wrong with the X drive gears. I've never had the machine apart to that degree. I only have about 30 hours on it! I tried moving the belts left and right to see if they move... much. The belt on the left barely moves at all. But, the right belt has about .125" of play (the tension rollers that hold the belt in place are moving with the belt). Coincidently, this is about how much it's off if I ignore the error and let the carve continue.

It does sort of make sense in that the error appears when the board is only contacting the right-side belt.

Am I going in the right direction here? Should I open the machine up and look for something more specific? If I am correct in my troubleshooting analysis, and since the machine is still in warranty, will LHR just send me the parts? I really don't want to spend the money shipping the unit back.

Does it sound like I know what I'm talking about?

mister_zed
02-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think the belts should move sideways at all... If I am mistaken, somebody please correct me.

Now that I think of it, in which direction do your belts move? Is is left-right if you face the keypad? Or is it left-right if you face the transparent cover?

klingler
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Left - right facing the keypad.

rjustice
02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
It may be that the roller is sticking and not making the switch turn on and off on the left roller. I think this will cause the tracking error too. You can check the switch by lifting up and releasing the roller a few times while watching the sensor check menu. You can get to this menu by turning the machine on with the memory card in place, then hitting the options key, then press #7, then arrow down once. This shows your compression roller switches. The swich is on the keyboard side on the left roller. Just reach underneath and raise it up and down a few times... watch the readout to see if it is actuating consistantly. If it is now try it again...

Hope this helps...

Ron

klingler
02-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks RJ, but that didn't do it. I forgot to mention that I looked at that too.

While reevaluating your suggestion, I recalled this as well. When the left edge of the board is being sensed, it is a good distance from the left roller. If the compression roller switch was the issue, I would think it would trigger the tracking roller error as soon as it left contact with the compression roller.

rjustice
02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks RJ, but that didn't do it. I forgot to mention that I looked at that too.

While reevaluating your suggestion, I recalled this as well. When the left edge of the board is being sensed, it is a good distance from the left roller. If the compression roller switch was the issue, I would think it would trigger the tracking roller error as soon as it left contact with the compression roller.

Yes, i would expect it to give you the error shortly after comming off of the roller if it failed due to the roller sticking...

MCGEE2SKINNER
02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi
I am having the exact same thing with my cw. When it tries to measure the length the board moves 1/4 inch and gives me the same error. I have checked everything I can think of. Including tape. o ring did the 0 7 system check used different boards and on and on. no luck. Waiting for a cut motor for machine #2 before I call about this problem unless you guys come up with something.
JIm

rjustice
02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
another thing to check... Be sure your brass roller has upward spring tension on it. There is a piece of rubber tubing that has been known to come out. This piece of tubing is what exerts the upward pressure on the roller. If you lay a short board on the belt and slide it into the roller, does the roller lift the board slightly before you crank the head down?

Ron

klingler
02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
There's plenty of upward tension on the roller.

rjustice
02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Have you verified that the brass roller is counting by using the sensor check option too?... Perhaps the encoder for the roller is acting up....

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds like Broken teeth on the plastic gear in the X Gearbox.

Jack the head up high. Remember the hole in the threaded shaft to prime the lowering if it clicks.

Remove the right side, opposite of the keyboard.

Remove the plastic cover over the gears and inspect.

When you have the sand paper belt trays out, inspect the belts to be sure the one under the muffler, keyboard side, is not rolled under.... You can rip a 3/4 inch piece of the belt off if it rolls under for temp fix.

There is a pdf file to do the gear replacement.

I also posted a bunch of pictures last week too of the gears.

Good Luck,

AL

klingler
02-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of. I saw your pictures earlier. Shouldn't be too hard opening up the machine.

Can you tell me what to expect from LHR? Will I be charged for anything even though it's under warranty? Iv'e seen mixed posts about how LHR handles replacement parts.

Thanks Al. I appreciate the help.

klingler
02-13-2010, 09:59 PM
After watching the US win silver and bronze in a short track speed skating competition, I felt a little motivated :)

I opened the side of the machine and looked at the gears... they're all in good shape. No missing teeth.

RJ - I'll throw it back together and do those sensor checks one more time.

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2010, 12:26 PM
After watching the US win silver and bronze in a short track speed skating competition, I felt a little motivated :)

I opened the side of the machine and looked at the gears... they're all in good shape. No missing teeth.

RJ - I'll throw it back together and do those sensor checks one more time.

After seeing the pictures of the accident and the steel pilers I thought.... Didn't anyone learn a lesson from the Princess Diana Accident.... Was the slide designed by the French too? Tragic.....

AL

klingler
02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I think I found the problem.

This gear is lose on the shaft. As I said in the initial posting, I can push the right side belt to the left and right (as I face the keypad) about .125" without the gears moving.

The shaft has a flat spot that the gear rides on to keep the two from spinning independently. When the machine is measuring the wood, the wood makes small left/right motions along the X axis to verify the edge of the board. When this happens, the X motor is turning, but that gear does not. And since the board is mostly in contact with the right side belt, the sensor is expecting the wood to move - but it doesn't!

Now, I'm not sure if the shaft is bad, or if the gear has gotten worn some how. But either way, I really think this is the problem.

I have tested all the sensors and they all appear to be working correctly. What do you think about my hypothesis?

klingler
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Called LHR this afternoon. After talking with the nice support gentleman, he believes I am correct. However, he is shipping me both the steel gear and the main X drive gear assembly. My only concern is that the problem is with the gear, and not the steel shaft.

Thanks again for the education guys. Your help is very much appreciated!

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Are both sand paper belts engaged into the gear box? I had a problem one when I re assembled the belts and I did not seat the sand paper belt assembly down correctly. It was hung up on some part of the machine base. This did not let the sand paper belt engage the gear box.... Reseated the Belt Tray and I was back in business....

That would explain why when one belt is trying to move the belt the board won't move.... At least that is what I am deducting from your post....

If it was a problem with the main gear box then it would effect both sand paper belts.....

I could be totally wrong here but thinking outside of the box at what could be the problem.....

Good Luck,

AL

klingler
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I understand where you're coming from Al, but the gear box isn't the issue. And the trays are seated fine. The metal gear on one of the trays is just not fitting tightly on the shaft. Since I can move the traction belt a little, and I can watch the shaft move - but the metal gear does not move, that only leaves me to believe that either the shaft or the gear has worn somehow.

This seems to be a rare incident. And rightly it should be. This is steel on steel, and if something was going to wear, it should be the plastic gears. I would have to say this came from the factory that way. I doubt this much wear could happen from just 46 hours of carve time.

DocWheeler
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
John,

I am assuming that you had the offending sandpaper belt assembly removed from the machine. Were you able to remove the gear from the shaft?
Surprisingly enough, that gear was my thought when you described the problem a few posts ago (pats self on back). With a 1/8" movement it would seem to have quite a bit of wear/damage.

This sounds like a JB-Weld kinda solution to me, maybe someone has a better material to use since it needs to withstand quite a bit of pressure.

klingler
02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually, I have never had that belt assembly off. I can see the problem without having to take it apart that far. Since its still under warranty, they are sending me a new steel gear, I'll wait to see if it takes care of the slop before using the JBWeld on it.

Oh, and yes - *pat on back* for figuring it out early on :)

klingler
02-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Robert from LHR support said he would be shipping me the X Drive assembly AND the steel gear from the belt assembly. I just checked the email he sent me and it's only showing the Stage 1 and Stage 2 [plastic] gears.

Anyone know if those metal gears come with the X Drive assembly? I need to get some jobs done before I move to the other end of the country in a couple months! :confused:

Griz64
02-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Just got mine today from UPS...the answer to your question is yes...the little metal gear comes with it.

klingler
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Wonderful! Thanks Griz.

klingler
02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
If anyone is interested, they did send me the Stage 1 and Stage 2 plastic gears for the X drive assembly, but that did not solve the problem. They are sending me the front belt tray assembly. The gear attached to that assembly is the root cause of the problem - bad bearing. If you experience the same symptoms, now you know what to do.

FYI, you will pay a $50 core fee until the broken unit is returned.

Not sure what these things cost if your machine is out of warranty, but $50 may not be too bad if a little JBWeld will fix it well enough to use a spare!