PDA

View Full Version : clean the "Y" rails

myshop1044
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
well this is a new one on me.
This occured in the middle of a carving. I took a good look at the Y rails and saw nothing wrong or very dirty on the rail bars, so I wiped them down top and bottom. I'm not sure what I should be looking for. the truck seems hard to move in the Y direction by hand. I did notice the front lower bearing screw was loose so I thighten it and went on, another error occured.
I just got my machine back month a go for a Y stall problem and it worked fine for a while, then this happens.
I'm at my wits end I have plenty of requests for carvings I just can't keep this machine working.
any help on what to look for would be helpful.
Does anybody a PDF on how to remove the part that holds the Z truck , maybe there is an obstruction behind there and the rail bar.

Myshop1044

ruggybear
02-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Myshop1044

I had this problem last summer and cleaned the 'Y" rails until they were just like new. Still got the sam error message. Bottom line is it turned out to be a somewhat dull 1/16th carving bit trying to carve deep ".7in" in a hard wood (red oak). Replaced the carving bit and the machine was all better.

Icutone2
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Is the temp in your shop 60 or better? Stops mine every time.
Lee

myshop1044
02-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks fellows for your replies.
I just talk to the tech in Houston and he suggested I take look at the truck to see if there was some crud in there somewhere. I removed the top and looked, did't see much of anything, but I did notice that a couple bearing were not rolling very well, so I removed them lube them up and put them back.
Don't know if that will do the trick but I will find out tomorrow.
The thing about the dull carving bit is something to think about.
It really gave me a chance to clean up all the moving parts and blow things out better.
I got to get the machine going The saints requests(coasters, Hot plates, etc. are hot

we'll see.

CarverJerry
02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but I'll ask again. How long should the carving bit last on average. Most of my cutting is in pine, only a few other small carves were in oak, mahogany and cedar.

myshop1044
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi CarverJerry,
To answer your question, I have had my bit since I got the machine ( 2 yrs) and I have carved cheap pine , good pine, oak ,mdf, cedar, cypress and a lot of corian and I have not seen any difference in the carving using the carving bit yet.
I am still having the Y rail problem again this morning and I notice after I tried to clean off the rails as requested that the machine has lost it's Y orination as seen in the attached photos. I even tried the same carving in wood and did not get very far with that one either..
The second photo shows a carving that I manage to complete after cleaning the machine and restarting the carving from scratch.
so I guess I will contact CW and bring them my machine again even though it was fixed for a Y stall in November.

Wish me luck
this is getting old.
Myshop1044

earlyrider
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
You can get the "Clean Y Rails" message when the bit is worn. Try using a new bit to see.
Ron