PDA

View Full Version : Help with an MPC - Can it run faster?

Fardoche
02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello,

i'm doing a moulding for a customer.

Everything is running well but it's so slow....

Is there a way to make the machine run faster.

The routing is not deep and it's in pine.

I've include the MPC for so you can take a look a it.

thanks in advance for your usual kindness and help!

LittleRedWoodshop
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't see any attatched file....

Fardoche
02-11-2010, 09:04 AM
oups......file added....;):eek::-D

I don't see any attatched file....

SeaCapt97
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
With straight running lines like I see in your mpc, this one might be better suited to traditional tools. (Router and Tablesaw) With careful setup you could use a dado bit to thin the stock down the center and both edges. Then follow with a beading bit in a router table to create raised beads in the raised areas you left in the first step. MCLS has a huge selection of router and shaper bits. You might even find a single bits that does what you need. Just a thought.

Bill

Kenm810
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
It's a long carving at any Setting,
Curious what do you have it set at

Quality Settings
The Quality can be set to:
Draft: Requires the minimum time to carve but spacing of the passes will be noticeable. This setting is useful for large carvings the will not be viewed up close.
Normal: This is the optimal balance between carving time and output quality. Good quality carvings though some passes may still be visible with this setting.
Best: Requires the Maximum time to carve. High quality carving with no passes visible

Optimum or Optimal the the new maximum time to carve, is the Slowest setting, but ofren the best looking

dbfletcher
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
It's a long carving at any Setting,
Curious what do you have it set at

Quality Settings
The Quality can be set to:
Draft: Requires the minimum time to carve but spacing of the passes will be noticeable. This setting is useful for large carvings the will not be viewed up close.
Normal: This is the optimal balance between carving time and output quality. Good quality carvings though some passes may still be visible with this setting.
Best: Requires the Maximum time to carve. High quality carving with no passes visible

Optimum or Optimal the the new maximum time to carve, is the Slowest setting, but ofren the best looking

Ken,

Does the quality setting affect carvetime at all when all elements are vector? It seems everytime I tried chaging that is the past (probably before 1.153) if all i had as vector operations, the quality setting had no effect on the time whatsoever. I figured it was useful for raster items only?

Doug Fletcher

Kenm810
02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Doug,

I was trying to find your post form a month or to ago,
where you mentioned it Didn't make a difference on 2 of your machines.
and add it to my post for additional information, to complele my post.

Thanks

Ah --Found it 11-2009 -- At least on my two machines, if the sign is only centerline text,
It never has any difference in the amount of time regardless of normal, best, or optimal settings.
This seems to be true for me for any vector only projects.

See -- My Memory isn't totally shot!! :razz:

dbfletcher
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Doug,

I was trying to find your post form a month or to ago,
where you mentioned it Didn't make a difference on 2 of your machines.
and add it to my post for additional information, to complele my post.

Thanks

Ah --Found it 11-2009 -- At least on my two machines, if the sign is only centerline text,
It never has any difference in the amount of time regardless of normal, best, or optimal settings.
This seems to be true for me for any vector only projects.

See -- My Memory isn't totally shot!! :razz:

yes.. that has been true for me.. but my question was more of a sanity check. Since so many of these machine have their own "personalities", I just wanted to make sure that this held true for others as well. And since you brought up the quality settings AND his mpc didnt have raster elements... just wanted to verify my machines where not an exception rather than the rule. Similiar to the one user who had no problem running material thinner than .5" without a sled... dont recall who that was offhand... but I know my machines dont like anything under .5".

Doug Fletcher

SteveEJ
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
That is a perfect project for a router table or router with a edge guide. Could be finished in fraction of the time.

The Carvewright is not always the most efficient way of producing some parts.

James RS
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I found this interesting router table while watching some cnc youtube vids

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/horizontal_router_table.html