PDA

View Full Version : New Text Recommendation

BobHill
08-15-2006, 12:21 PM
When the text engine is next being considered for an update in Designer program, how about allowing text to be edited or modified once it's completed on the piece without having to delete it and starting over. Not that it's a big deal to do that, but it would sure make designing a lot easier, especially when I don't spell something properly, or need or want to change the font once I see it in place ... or perhaps even make it routed instead of a cut out.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

John
08-15-2006, 12:47 PM
I think you are on a Mac, but on a PC you select the text, right click, select edit text. Maybe I'm missing something?

BobHill
08-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks John. As my red face glows from embarrassment, I must confess that I am on a PC and tried everything except right clicking AFTER selecting the text object. Of course it wouldn't be there prior to selecting. Perhaps I can claim an age deficiency and get away with it. <g>

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Juno2
08-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I believe double clicking it will open the text edit as well.

BobHill
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
And speaking of text, how does Designer carry fonts? i know that you can use most of the fonts you have installed on your system, but if you send the MPC file to someone else with a CarveWright (or download one from here) would the text come in the same fonts that they were designed with if the receiving party doesn't have those fonts?

And if you do get the text in the same fonts, what happens if you choose to edit the text. Will you have the full font characters set to do the editing, or do you have to choose one of your own fonts? I don't see where there is a choice where you can embed the font file in the document file as you can in either CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

cmorlier
08-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Because fonts may be copyrighted, we can not include them in the project file. So if a requested font is not on the system, the font system just chooses a font with similar attribute like san serif or whatever. It does a fairly bad job of it, and this is done in parts of the system we don't control. We will probably try to work around this at some point, but I don't think it is a high priority at this point.

I would recommend one of the following:
1) Using fonts that you know other parties have
2) Sending the fonts with project (if licensing permits)
3) Including information on where to get the appropriate fonts (for example if you downloaded them from a free website, then include the link)

BobHill
08-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Chris,

Question. If I send a finished MPC with text applied by Designer using a fancy font (I have over 2000 fonts) and wish it to appear as I created it (no intention for anyone to edit) doesn't the MPC go as I designed it? Or does the font have to come from the machine it's being opened in, regardless of what original font was used? I know that in some programs this is true and others where the image will retain the look (especially when converted to curves, such as in Illustrator) but it can't be edited. Or, of course, if I apply the text make it raster, it will come in as I created it ... but of course it'll carve as raster also.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

cmorlier
08-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Basically, the project gets redrawn every time you open the file. So it will reload the font whenever you open the project.

BobHill
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Chris, thanks,
If the piece is redrawn each time it opens, then if you don't have that font, or close the original font (I only keep 150 fonts active at a time, or it chews up too much memory), it uses panose and substitutes a serif or sans serif. Have you considered giving the ability of locking in the text still in vector, such as Illustrator does by allowing text to be converted to vector "curves"? If text path is allowed, would it curve the same as if it were the original text?

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida