PDA

View Full Version : Another odd cut lol

Gerald Bennett
02-11-2010, 06:25 AM
I ran a project I am working on, all the pattern ran fine but an odd thing happened during the cutout portion. I did the cut-out in 4 passes as the project is .75 inches thick so didn't want to cut it in one pass.

The top and bottom are straight lines and those are nice and smooth the ends have both curves and straight areas. When standing at the keypad watching the cut the right edge which the machine will have pulled the board back in to make the cut is smooth but the left edge each of the 4 passes the machine pushed the board out a little further each time. Each pass individually look smooth but since each is a little further from the center of the board the effect is kinda cool but certainly not intended. Any idea why the machine would push the board out a different distance each pass? I used tape for the roller and it didn't appear to bind during the cuts or anything like that. I tried to get a picture but zooming in enough makes the picture to fuzzy ... gonna have to figure a way to get a picture.

Ok, got a picture, you can see there is another cut-out in the top left of the picture and its edges are fine, its just the outside where I cut it free from the board.

Pratyeka
02-11-2010, 06:34 AM
I suspect the brass roller is affected by the vibrations caused by the 1/8 cutting bit and looses traction on the wood. As soon as I find a replacement spring that is stronger than the original brass roller spring, I'll give it a try.

rjustice
02-11-2010, 06:38 AM
The short answer is that somehow even with the tape, your brass roller slipped. Is it possible that you have a notch in the edge of the board, like a knot that broke out?... Even with the tape, if there is nothing under it to support the tape, and maintain firm contact with the brass roller, it would do this..

Hope this helps,

Ron

Gerald Bennett
02-11-2010, 06:44 AM
The short answer is that somehow even with the tape, your brass roller slipped. Is it possible that you have a notch in the edge of the board, like a knot that broke out?... Even with the tape, if there is nothing under it to support the tape, and maintain firm contact with the brass roller, it would do this..

Hope this helps,

Ron

Hmmm I suppose thats possible, I still have the board so I will look, one of the odd things is each pass appears to have been advanced the same distance, will have to break out the micrometer to check that now that I am curious just how close they are

TerryT
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Stair stepping has been an issue since day one of the CW. Usually caused by the brass roller losing contact with the board.

Do a search for "stair stepping" you should find several possible causes and fixes, such as missing or damaged O ring, bad board or broken brass roller.