PDA

View Full Version : Centerline fonts

Stephan
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Just got the centerline software downloaded and I keep reading about Centerline fonts and non-centerline fonts. So does Centerline come with it's own fonts, or does it use the same fonts that I had before I downloaded it? I guess if I want to use other fonts, I'll have to download some????

Thanks again for your help here.

dbfletcher
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Centerline can use any truetype fonts you have installed on your system. And any additional one you would like to download.

And no.. it doesnt come with any additional fonts.. it just allows you to use any already installed in your computer.

Doug Fletcher

TerryT
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Center line uses the same fonts that are on your computer already. It is just that some fonts don't work well in center line. You can experiment a little to find the ones you like best. We all seem to have our favorites. One of mine is Monotype Corsiva.

Stephan
02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Once again, I sure appreciate all of your quick responses!

coyoteugly543
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
wend i download a fonts how do i get it to centerline

lynnfrwd
02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
The basic system comes with two routing methods available when you use the Text Tool. They are Raster & Outline. When you purchase and activate Centerline, a third routing method is made available - Centerline. It uses either the 60 or 90 degree v-bits.

The Text Tool looks for True Type fonts in the same place as other programs, such as Word and Excel. It is usually on your local drive under Windows in a folder called Fonts. (Sorry, not proficient on Mac) You can find fonts on the internet or from others (even your other computer), copy them into your Fonts folder.

coyoteugly543
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
i have center line but how do i get fornts to centerline

CarverJerry
02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
When you click on the blue "T" for text it opens a screen after you click on your project where you want to start. To the right of the box where you enter your text you will see "Raster" "Outline" and "Centerline" just click the centerline, enter your text, click ok and there you have it.

fwharris
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
To get new fonts set up you will need to copy or move them into your "fonts" folder after downloading them.

The folder location should be c:\windows\fonts. That is the location that designer, or any other program, goes to for changing fonts styles..

coyoteugly543
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
How do I get it out of the fonts folder to carvewright designer? the one I am trying to get is the lawrence scooters

dbfletcher
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
How do I get it out of the fonts folder to carvewright designer? the one I am trying to get is the lawrence scooters

Once you copy (which will "install" it) it to the fonts folder, you simply select it from the text tool in designer. I have had occasions in the past that I had to exit designer and restart it to have newly installed fonts show up.

Doug Fletcher

coyoteugly543
02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
OK thank you i got it. dont look like i though it would

lawrence
02-10-2010, 07:41 AM
CoyoteUgly--

Some of the pictures look better with centerline and some look better in outline or even raster. You have to play around with them a bit to get the look you want (and may not even then) With raster and outline what I mean by playing around is adjusting the depth to get your desired effect and adjusting the bit optimization. With centerline your only real option for playing around is to change the bit type from 90 to 60 or vice versa and to change the size.

Some of them still don't work as well as I'd like, but I'm still very much in the learning phase as well...

Hope this helps a bit
Lawrence

oldjoe
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
One trick I have learned is that with centerline you have no contol over depth. So if you want to make the letter come out a little shallower when you do you design put in the 90 degree bit but when you are at the machine going thru the bit loading phase install a 60 degree bit but don't tell the machine you did it either leave it as you programmed it. The letters are shallower that way. Works great for smaller lettering.
Hope that made some sence.

dbfletcher
02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
One trick I have learned is that with centerline you have no contol over depth. So if you want to make the letter come out a little shallower when you do you design put in the 90 degree bit but when you are at the machine going thru the bit loading phase install a 60 degree bit but don't tell the machine you did it either leave it as you programmed it. The letters are shallower that way. Works great for smaller lettering.
Hope that made some sence.

I can see them being thinner... but shallower?? The machine know where the tip of the bit is from the bitload sequence, so it should be carving to the same depth regardless of what bit is inserted. However, since the 60 degree is narrower at any given depth, the resulting carve wll be narrower as well.

For small text I still like my 22.5 degree v-bit best.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM

For small text I still like my 22.5 degree v-bit best.

Doug Fletcher

Hello Doug,

Where did you purchase your 22½° V-bit, and when assigning the bit in Designer, which do you assign, the 60° or 90°?

dbfletcher
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello Doug,

Where did you purchase your 22½° V-bit, and when assigning the bit in Designer, which do you assign, the 60° or 90°?

Whoops.. actually I was wrong.. this is the one i have been using. It is an 18 degree v-bit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VK8PE/ref=oss_product

But I also looked at these... I really like the idea of replacable cutting flutes. (has anyone tried these?)

http://www.amanatool.com/cncroutingdetails/rc-1028.html

I have just left the machine at the default selection of 90 v-bit. I keep saying I was going to test the different selections, but just havent done it yet.

Doug Fletcher

Pomelle Sapele
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
To my eye, the best centerline fonts are ones that have strong connections between the brushstrokes. The letters in fonts with thin connections (like the Bodoni family) tend to break up.

DocWheeler
02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
But I also looked at these... I really like the idea of replacable cutting flutes. (has anyone tried these?)

http://www.amanatool.com/cncroutingdetails/rc-1028.html

Doug,

These bits are not designed for the high rpm of the CW.

dbfletcher
02-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Doug,

These bits are not designed for the high rpm of the CW.

Perhaps I'm not reading the table right, but it looks like most of them are rated for 22K rpm. I thought the cw was 20K?

Doug Fletcher

CarverJerry
02-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Doug, looks like a lot of cool tools. I have used insertable tooling in the machine shop and can't see any reason these wouldn't work on the CW. I looked at the tooling for plastic too...they have a nice line of cutters.

kasotakid
02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Howdy ...Ever been to Upper Heyford? I was stationed their in the early 90's as a Vet Tech...

Ok On to the question, I need help making a good jpeg image a line draw...I've tried the example and can't seem to get it to work...I purchased TypeTool and still can't get it to work, so Im surely not doing it right... SO here it is....

I'm trying to carve the image into a Battle Axe for a Pond Hockey Tourn. at the end of the month..

thanks a million

Brian

cnsranch
02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure about a battle axe, but the attached should carve pretty well.

Hope it helps (set your height to .150, or the text will chip out).

If this is what you're looking for, send me a pm with your e-mail address - the ptn's too big to post here (I really increased the res of the jpeg before importing it into Designer).

bjbethke
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Howdy ...Ever been to Upper Heyford? I was stationed their in the early 90's as a Vet Tech...

Ok On to the question, I need help making a good jpeg image a line draw...I've tried the example and can't seem to get it to work...I purchased TypeTool and still can't get it to work, so Im surely not doing it right... SO here it is....

I'm trying to carve the image into a Battle Axe for a Pond Hockey Tourn. at the end of the month..

thanks a million

Brian
I tried to make a dingbat from that image. It does not work right. A vector carving with ai2mpc may work. If you export an image from the PDF "EPS" format you can get a vector image of that logo.

Hope this helps. Use the "~" key to look at the dingbat logo.