PDA

View Full Version : Looking for custom routing

jabberwo
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I just found out about these types of machines and would love to customize the wooden stock I'm putting on my wife's new rifle! Does anyone know of a shop in central Mass with one of these carving/routing machines?

Am I right in thinking someone could carve out an oval (to make a flat area out of the curved cheek) and then carve in relief an image -- thinking an Eagle such as from Great Seal (http://home.windstream.net/jamesduchesneau/IMAGES/US_seal_frontx.JPG)?

thanks,
Chuck

hess
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I just found out about these types of machines and would love to customize the wooden stock I'm putting on my wife's new rifle! Does anyone know of a shop in central Mass with one of these carving/routing machines?

Am I right in thinking someone could carve out an oval (too make flat area out of the curved cheek) and then carve an image -- thinking an Eagle such as from Great Seal (http://home.windstream.net/jamesduchesneau/IMAGES/US_seal_frontx.JPG)?

thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck Welcome!

do a Search for "gun stocks". put the "" around it that should bring up any talk of them

cnsranch
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
It can be done....

jabberwo
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM
It can be done....

Now I just got to find someone around here who can do it for me.

thanks,
jabberwo

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
The "Oooooops" Factor has been the reason I am not doing Guns for a local Gun Smith..... He saw my Signs and Bears, Deer and Eagles and wanted it on guns for his Customers....

Good Money if you want the risk....

Good Luck with your search, there are some very talented Carvers here.

You might need to ship just the stock to a Carver without the Gun....

If you search over at the Sawmill Creek Engravers Forum. There was a guy doing Gun Stocks with a Laser Engraver and Corel Draw. He would do the same laser pattern over and over until he got the depth he wanted then would do another element of the engraving. It looked 3D and is a no contact between the Laser Beam and the Stock. In the CNC side of Sawmill Creek you can find Guys doing them too with the big CNC Machines.

Then a look at the ShopBot Forums will turn up a few guys too.... Lots of places to look and lots of ways to do it...

AL

jabberwo
02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
The "Oooooops" Factor

Same problem as with any other carving, right? The issue I can foresee is the holding of the rifle stock in some kind of larger piece to give the machine something to grip.

Good Luck with your search, there are some very talented Carvers here.

You might need to ship just the stock to a Carver without the Gun....

Sure, that would make sense. Any of those talent carvers can feel free to PM me!

thanks,
Jabberwo