PDA

View Full Version : Shallow V Bit Carve?

c6craig
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi All,

Is there any way to make centerline text using a 90 degree V Bit carve more shallow other than changing the font?

I have been asked to carve initials (aprox 3.5 high x 5.5 wide) using Monotype Corsiva into a box bottom that is aprox 1/4" thick.

I ran a test on scrap using 90 degree normal centerline and bold, as well as 60 degree centerline and bold. 90 degree normal centerline makes the most shallow cut but I am still concerned it is going to be too deep for the 1/4" bottom....

Also - without tearing up any more wood on tests, does anyone know if I make the letters bigger...will it carve deeper, same, or more shallow?

Thanks,
Craig

dbfletcher
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi All,

Is there any way to make centerline text using a 90 degree V Bit carve more shallow other than changing the font?

I have been asked to carve initials (aprox 3.5 high x 5.5 wide) using Monotype Corsiva into a box bottom that is aprox 1/4" thick.

I ran a test on scrap using 90 degree normal centerline and bold, as well as 60 degree centerline and bold. 90 degree normal centerline makes the most shallow cut but I am still concerned it is going to be too deep for the 1/4" bottom....

Thanks,
Craig

You can cheat a little... if you turn jog to touch on in user options, you can then put a shim on the board when it goes to find top surface of the board. That will trick the machine in to thinking your board is thicker than it is and hence shallowing the carve. However, this may leave some letters un-fully formed.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks Doug - Gonna have to think on that one a bit.

Do you know if it will be the same depth if I make the letters bigger or smaller? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Craig

dbfletcher
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks Doug - Gonna have to think on that one a bit.

Do you know if it will be the same depth if I make the letters bigger or smaller? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Craig

I wont bet my life on this.. but im pretty sure...

Bigger letters -> deeper carve
Smaller letters -> shallower carve

I have a 22.5 bit i use for smaller lettering. 1/4" high is about the smallest I've gone.

Doug Fletcher

bjbethke
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
You can make a test in your MPC file. Just place a carve region over the initials - then adjust the depth to see how deep it will carve.

I needed to carve a Ryan LOGO on 1/4 inch stock. This was a good method to make a depth test.

dbfletcher
02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Great idea! Then what ever you carve region depth is... that is the thickness of the shim you would want correct? Or where you thinking differently?

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM
BJB -

What a great idea, thanks so much. I did the way you showed it and placed a .250 carve region over the centerline and when I rotate it I can see how deep it goes. I think I may be OK....

Thanks again!

Craig

c6craig
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Great idea! Then what ever you carve region depth is... that is the thickness of the shim you would want correct? Or where you thinking differently?

Doug Fletcher

I may have misinterpreted BJB, but using a carve region of the true board thickness over your carve and rotating it you can see how deep it will cut, to make sure you dont cut through. In my case I want the initials on a 1/4" board, so I made a 1/4" carve region over the text and when I rotate it I can see the text wont cut through my board...

Craig

dbfletcher
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I may have misinterpreted BJB, but using a carve region of the true board thickness over your carve and rotating it you can see how deep it will cut, to make sure you dont cut through. In my case I want the initials on a 1/4" board, so I made a 1/4" carve region over the text and when I rotate it I can see the text wont cut through my board...

Craig

Oh ya... that is true too... But it still is a usefull idea to add with the shim.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Absolutely, in fact I may still use your shim idea even though the board isn't going to be cut through. It looks to be about 1/16" left in some places and I'm not sure about the strength since it's a box bottom...would hate to finish the box and the bottom falls out the first time they put something in it :)

Thanks again,
Craig

bjbethke
02-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Here is how deep the type fonts carve on a 1/4 inch board. It looks like it leaves about 1/16th of an inch. It should make a great carve.

lawrence
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Here is how deep the type fonts carve on a 1/4 inch board. It looks like it leaves about 1/16th of an inch. It should make a great carve.

I've been testing how deep my centerlines will go the same way-- I haven't checked for accuracy yet but it seems to be pretty darned accurate.
It is also worth noticing how much deeper the 60 degree bit goes than the 90 degree... it can really make a difference... and you can also still just use the 90 degree bit in designer but only install the 60 degree bit and it should only carve as deep as the 90 would have (I'm fairly certain of this... but could be wrong)

Lawrence

DocWheeler
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
It is also worth noticing how much deeper the 60 degree bit goes than the 90 degree... it can really make a difference... and you can also still just use the 90 degree bit in designer but only install the 60 degree bit and it should only carve as deep as the 90 would have (I'm fairly certain of this... but could be wrong)

Lawrence,

You are correct, I use this method to carve my name on the back of my projects. Works great for small characters.