PDA

View Full Version : Set sliding guide plate error

shotgun 6
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I am attempting to carve the "Joy Tree" project" and am getting the message "Please set sliding guide plate and press enter" after the machine has asked for the cutting bit and it has been installed. After the cuttng bit is installedop the machine goes through its process of sensing on the keyboard side then moves to the guide side, senses a couple of times then moves a couple of inches further, senses, then stops with the above message. I have tried reseting the bit in the chuck and even changed to another cutting bit. I have reset and tightened the guide. All of this several times and still get stop and message.

I recently replaced the QC with the Rock and added the ringneckblues DC and have had great experience on the first three carves since updating. Then, suddenly, I'm back to machine down. I might add that during the measurement and before it asks for the cutting bit, it asks if I want to scale to lenght (the board is about 1/16" longer than the pattern calls plus the 7" required). Usually I get the option of yes or no but each time I've tried with this one it doesn't give an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

fwharris
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Bill,

When it is checking the cutting bit on the sliding plate, does the bit make contact with the top of the plate? If it does not the machine thinks that the plate is not there. It should touch the silding plate the same way it touches the bit plate..

shotgun 6
02-08-2010, 04:01 PM
It appears to touch the guide plate three times then moves further to the right about 1/2 to 3/4, buzzes a little over the open area sort of like somethign was slipping, then measures about three times over the guide plate slide bar, then stops and gives the message. I put a piece of thin cardboard on the guide plate and the bit touched it. Then I placed it across the sandpaper rollers where it moves to and it didn't seem to move the cardboard there.

AskBud
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
The first attempt, on the guide plate, should go down into the hole in the plate. The second attempt is touching on the flat of that plate.
AskBud

shotgun 6
02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Troubleshooting further I just backed out of the Joy Tree, inserted the carving bit and started a carve (no cutting) pattern. Everything did like it was supposed to do and the carve started with no problem. (The board measurements are the same in both patterns.) I left the carving bit in and without turning the machine off select the Joy Tree again. It went through the same process as before, stopped in the same place and gave the same message. It appears that it touches the plate first (three times) then the hole (again three times) and stops.

Digitalwoodshop
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Shotgun,

The only time the bit needs to touch the right side guide is when it is going to do a cut through or cut path with the 1/8 inch bit.

So as you know it touches the board surface 3 places, then moves left and bobs down to the keyboard side. Then moves over to the Right Side Guide and goes down in the open area of the U shaped area then moves slightly right and EXPECTS to just touch the right side guide at the bottom of the U. If the right side guide is too far away and when it expects to touch the bottom of the U and misses... Then you get the message....

If you are getting this error and the bit is not making it to the bottom of the U it could be dirt on the rails and bearings or the Z Belt is dirty.

If you put cardboard on the right side guide then the bottom of the board info in the computer will be wrong leading to thicker tabs or no tabs....

Good Luck,

AL

shotgun 6
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks Al -- I keep the rail clean and with dry silicon after each carve and have just redone it. I also used compressed air to blow around the z truck and there doesn't seem to be any dust around the bearings on in the belt area -- the ringneckblues is keeping it pretty clean. I reset the board and guide and tried again -- still no luck. Its pretty hard to see the bit on the black surface of the guide plate but it appears to be doing as you say expcept it apparently isn't sensing the last position. Gremlins?

Pratyeka
02-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Just wondering, are you using collars on the cutting bit? maybe it's expecting a specific lenght in this case. Try changing the lenght, hof far the bit sticks out of the RC.

shotgun 6
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not using a collar. I have used a CW-Parts 1/8" cutting bit, CW 1/8" cutting bit(without adapter), CW 1/16 )without adapter) and CW-Parts 1/16 carving bits. I have adjusted the height a coople of times, all with the same result. I have also cleared the error messages off the flash card. Note: this only happens when the machine asks for the cutting bit when you first set up a carve that has a cut required. Again, for a straight carve pattern (no cuts) the machine works beautifully. I checked my flash card and it lists the error as "Board Find Fault." I can't find anything on that particular error message. Incidenntly, when I try to send the error message to CW I get a "Failed Error 500" which I assume means it didn't get there.

I keep my machine very clean and properly lubricated. The Y and Z belts are clean.

I think if I undestood how the machine senses on the right side of the board I might could figure this out. I know that the bit is supposed to touch the plate three times then move a little to the right and touch the bottom part of the U in the plate. But what senses? the pressure of the bit? if so, how and which sensor?

If we didn't have problems we could become bored ljust sitting around istening to the Rock rock!

Bill

rjustice
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I dont think it is related to using collars or stops on the bits while using the Rock Chuck, as i have done several test carvings over the last couple weeks doing cut-outs, and I havent been using them. I have not had one problem. I am running the latest firmware... I have been using my 3/4 flute length tools, choked up on them, so i dont think it is a "short bit" problem either.

How about making a simple square pattern cut out, and see if it works with a different project?

Ron

shotgun 6
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Murphy stricks again! I've spent all day yesterday and most of today trying to figure out where this "Board Find Fault" was coming from which caused the machine to stop measuring and give the message "Set Sliding Guide Plate and press Enter." As indicated in below posts I've tried about everything. Looking at my guide a few minutes ago I got to thinking (very dangerous for me) that maybe I had put the guide on backwards when I was working on my machine a few days ago -- short story -- I took the two screws out, turned it around, and, presto, works like a charm and you can probably hear it running right now! Thanks everyone for helping my brain kick into gear!

Bill

fwharris
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Bill,

Thanks for sharing your goof up with us. I know your problem has several of us baffled as to why you were having it...

Pratyeka
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Murphy stricks again! I've spent all day yesterday and most of today trying to figure out where this "Board Find Fault" was coming from which caused the machine to stop measuring and give the message "Set Sliding Guide Plate and press Enter." As indicated in below posts I've tried about everything. Looking at my guide a few minutes ago I got to thinking (very dangerous for me) that maybe I had put the guide on backwards when I was working on my machine a few days ago -- short story -- I took the two screws out, turned it around, and, presto, works like a charm and you can probably hear it running right now! Thanks everyone for helping my brain kick into gear!

Bill

Congrats on fix it! Sometimes taking a step back is the best strategy.
About your question about how the machine sense that the bit is touching, it monitors the current in the Z motor. When the bit touches the plate, the current in the motor increases. It then records the Z height and repeats the process to get an average.

shotgun 6
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Pratyeta --thats good info I'll put in my learning file. I'm about 80% through on the Joy Tree carve and the machine is running the way it's supposed to and the carve really looks good! The combination of the Rock, the CW-Parts carving bit and the ringneckblues DC make carving a real pleasure. I'm not knocking the CW bits -- they work fine too. Ron's are just easier to install in the Rock because you don't have to be concerned about the orientation.

Bill

Dirtydan
07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
While that sound like a fix for something I might have done ("put the guide on backwards") but I haven't done anything to the machine except update the software and change over to the new bit retention system. I tried turing the plated 180 degrees, but that only causes other problems... This checking of the slide guide plate is something new... I've got an old machine, but over the last 3 years, I've never seen this happen and I always us the cut-pattern function on everything I carve... Is there any other ideas out there to fix this problem... Maybe I have to go back to version 1.60

AskBud
07-05-2010, 03:53 PM
While that sound like a fix for something I might have done ("put the guide on backwards") but I haven't done anything to the machine except update the software and change over to the new bit retention system. I tried turing the plated 180 degrees, but that only causes other problems... This checking of the slide guide plate is something new... I've got an old machine, but over the last 3 years, I've never seen this happen and I always us the cut-pattern function on everything I carve... Is there any other ideas out there to fix this problem... Maybe I have to go back to version 1.60
Tell us what you see happening.
My guess is that the wood stops moving, but the sandpaper belts are still in motion.
This would indicate that the sliding plate is too tight against the wood for some reason. Most times, this will be due to the edges not being parallel. If you slide the wood through the machine, before you lower the head, you may see that this is the case.

Let us know if this is on the right track.
AskBud

PS: It could also be from a warped board, or rolled belt, But I suspect the above as my first choice.

Dirtydan
07-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Ok, I broke the code.... The cutting bit with the pre-installed collar needs the 1/2" stop collar installed also. Did't have that problem when I was using the split collar and my old cutting bit. Yes, I did use the 1/4" stop collar with the split collar, but those bits are much longer than the CW with the pre-installed collar. Hmmmmmmm Problem fixed. So it sounds like there is more than one reason for the slide guide plate error.../ problem..

Take care,

WRW
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
DirtyDan
If you read this, I just wanted to say!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for takeing the time to post what you found with this problem, I am sure it saved me many hours of reading and frustration.
Have a great day!