PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried carving a CD or DVD?

sgt_eldridge
02-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I was throwing out some trash today and had a thought. Could the Carvewright carve a CD or DVD? I haven't tried it or even tried cutting a disc with any type of rotary tool. Any ideas?:confused:

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2010, 07:34 PM
There were some posts a few years ago over on the Sawmill Creek Laser Forum with a guy making laser cut CD Christmas Ornaments....

Might melt and jam a bit and snap a bit on the CW.

AL

Griz64
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Actually I just finished running a few designs on a CD because I was curious as well. No problem whatsoever. I made a sled for it and tried the first one without securing it to the sled. As I am sure you can imagine it moved and messed up the pattern, so I ended up just taping it down with masking tape and it worked fine. Hope this helps.

liquidguitars
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Griz64,

That's cool i thought it would burn ect..

LG

Dan-Woodman
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Grizz
How deep did you carve?
later Daniel

TIMCOSBY
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
all these 3.25 in floppy disk ;>}

dbfletcher
02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
all these 3.25 in floppy disk ;>}

umm.. you mean 3.5 right?? It was 5 1/4.... or 8" if u go way back.

Doug Fletcher

Griz64
02-09-2010, 01:13 AM
No guys these were cd's...Diameter is 4.72" and .05 inches thick. What I did was figure that I could go halfway thru without doing any damage to anything. Well half of .05 is .025 so that was the depth I cut it at on the first one and went a little more shallow on the next one. The second one I did was cut at .02. Just by looking at them I could not tell a difference but maybe someone with a more critical eye might be able to tell the difference.

dbfletcher
02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
No guys these were cd's...Diameter is 4.72" and .05 inches thick. What I did was figure that I could go halfway thru without doing any damage to anything. Well half of .05 is .025 so that was the depth I cut it at on the first one and went a little more shallow on the next one. The second one I did was cut at .02. Just by looking at them I could not tell a difference but maybe someone with a more critical eye might be able to tell the difference.

Ya... I was with ya. But what is even more worthless than a stack of cd these days.... yep.. 3.5" & 5 1/4 floppy drives. I think the is all he was saying.

Are gonna post a pics of the sample carves you have done?

Doug Fletcher

JMD
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Could we see one of these carved CDs?

sgt_eldridge
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks Griz, Please post some pics if you could. I can't wait to try this.

liquidguitars
02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Cool!

I made a round picture frame a few years ago and it's a perfect fit for a old CD..

You will need the 1/16 carving 1/16 cutting and 3/8 bit

It's a old pattern so it could be better modify it to use the new pierced tool..

LG

Griz64
02-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Sorry guys I forgot to take my camera to the shop so all I had was my phone. The pics are not the best but I think they give you the idea. This is a clock idea I have been playing with. The numbers are in binary in case you dont know binary code.

dbfletcher
02-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Sorry guys I forgot to take my camera to the shop so all I had was my phone. The pics are not the best but I think they give you the idea. This is a clock idea I have been playing with. The numbers are in binary in case you dont know binary code.

Thats a pretty cool idea. Did you carve all the way thru the disc? It's a little hard to tell from the pic. I'm sure this is probably just a personal preference... but I always like to see at least a nibble... and then that also makes it instantly recognizable as binary.

Wooo hooo!! this one makes me a senior member!

Doug Fletcher

Griz64
02-10-2010, 03:29 AM
No sir I did not carve it all the way through. It is actually only .02 deep. I am still playing with it from time to time and think I will go even more shallow. My goal is to just scratch the coating off and see what that looks like. I think my next one might only be about .005 deep. as for the nibble portion, I did give it some thought and even tried it but I thought it was to long and looked to cluttered. That is if I am reading you right. I assume you are talking about instead of 10 to represent the number 2 you would like to see it like this 000000010. Am I right in making this assumption or way off base?

CarverJerry
02-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Are you carving on the non data side (the label side)? If so will the cd still work?

dbfletcher
02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
No sir I did not carve it all the way through. It is actually only .02 deep. I am still playing with it from time to time and think I will go even more shallow. My goal is to just scratch the coating off and see what that looks like. I think my next one might only be about .005 deep. as for the nibble portion, I did give it some thought and even tried it but I thought it was to long and looked to cluttered. That is if I am reading you right. I assume you are talking about instead of 10 to represent the number 2 you would like to see it like this 000000010. Am I right in making this assumption or way off base?

Well... almost... a nibble is 1/2 a byte.. really.. I didnt make that up. So 4 bits for each nibble (0010 for 2). And then it will also give a more symetrical look.

No ya got me thinking if it wouldnt be possible to incorporate rice leds some how too (thoses really tiny leds I often see with dollhouse stuff).

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Cool, kinda reminds me of these, would be neat to see the CW create one...

Clock:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/9df7/

Watch:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/6a17/

Craig

Griz64
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Jerry- I carve them with the label side up but since I go all the way through the label the CD will no longer work. Another neat trick to destroy all data on a CD is to put it in the microwave for no more than 5 seconds. it makes a neat looking design too.
Doug-I do know your not making up the nibble part of being 1/2 byte. I also agree that it would look more symmetrical so thanks to your suggestion I think I will go back in and redesign it.