PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stall Error 313

bikeaccdnt
02-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Starting to get a very high frustration level. I get part of the way through a project and Z Axis Stall Error 313 I have cleaned, lubed, checked everything that has been posted and still cant do a single project. Now it wont even begin the project or even do a scan due to the Z Axis Stall. I removed the black bearing covers, lubed, and they are as smooth as possible. The rails were also lubed.

Any ideas on how I can get this machine to complete any function at all. Just one project... Scan a penny... anything so I dont have to explain to my spouse why I spent the money on something that has yet to perform a single operation... HELP

liquidguitars
02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
some ideas..

Check the flat FCC ribbon cable on the back of the z truck. also check your bearings, the truck can move but you could still have a frozen bearing..

check to see the the QC is tight. as this error could be due to a z depth issue.

Now it wont even begin the project or even do a scan due to the Z Axis Stall

Make sure that you have the hood selected as your scan attachment input.

c6craig
02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I always thought that Z Axis Stall errors were mostly caused by either a bad Z Motor or a dirty encoder. You can try taking the back off of your Z motor and there is a small clear round disk in there. That is the encoder. CAREFULLY spray a little air in there to make sure it's clean.

Z Stall errors have also been known to be caused by a dull bit, but since you can't even start a scan I wouldn't say that is the issue.

Is that the only error you are getting or has it thrown a power fluctuation error, tracking board sensor error, anything else?

Maybe somebody else will have more insight.

Good luck,
Craig

liquidguitars
02-07-2010, 03:59 PM
c6craig,

I never thought it was a good idea to open the back of the encoder as no dust should get past the rubber gaskets, if your z gaskets are loose it's a good bet the motor is failing. I like to think the encoder was assembled in a dust free room.

I recommend not 2 remove the back plastic cover at anytime, but if LHR say it ok go for it.

LG

c6craig
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Then I would say to leave it alone as well. I only mentioned it because LHR walked me through it on the phone while troubleshooting one day. For what it's worth it didn't make a difference, the Z motor did have to be replaced...

Craig

bikeaccdnt
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
c6Craig..

It has thrown a Power Fluctuation message many times also. This is just the latest X/Y/Z Axis Stall error I'm getting. No tracking board sensor errors.

c6craig
02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
c6Craig..

It has thrown a Power Fluctuation message many times also. This is just the latest X/Y/Z Axis Stall error I'm getting. No tracking board sensor errors.

Thats exactly what happened to me on my first machine. I would think that your problems are all stemming from the power fluctuation errors, that's why I asked that. Make sure your machine is isolated on a clean circuit that nothing else can be pulling power from. Failing that, my fix was a new power supply...

Although if you do some searches here on the forum for "L2 Power Supply" many have had some luck with resoldering a loose coil on the power supply to fix their issue...I am not that mechanically inclined and opted for a new power supply.

Good luck.

Craig

bikeaccdnt
02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Liquid Guitar...

Not sure what you mean by have the Hood Selected as your scan attachment input.

This error is also happening if I take the scanning probe off and attempt a simple carving.

I havent checked the flat FCC ribbon cable and will do when I next attempt.

I have checked the bearings and they are not sticking in any way shape or form.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep you updated

liquidguitars
02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Then I would say to leave it alone as well. I only mentioned it because LHR walked me through it on the phone while troubleshooting one day. For what it's worth it didn't make a difference, the Z motor did have to be replaced...

Craig

yea that my thinking LHR was probably checking for a trashed motor. That will show as gray or black dust. translation? end of line. :)

liquidguitars
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by have the Hood Selected as your scan attachment input.

If you have a power outage sometimes the CW will boot into the second scan mode for the ztruck connector now not used.. " small 1/8 jack on the old truck. to tell it to use the hood. Use the keypad "05" select the scanner to use the hood input. check the manual for more info..

bikeaccdnt
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
All of the stalls and issues were related to a bad power supply. I received a new one yesterday, installed it and everything works properly.

One thing that did come out of the problems is my better knowledge of the machine and how to get and keep it clean.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Good Job !!! Another L2 problem....

AL