PDA

View Full Version : Clean/Lube Y Rails?

c6craig
02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi All,

I have looked through the posts and manuals but don't see anything as far as the Y rails. I keep them clean but would think they could benefit from a little lubrication. Is there some kind of "dry lube" that anyone uses on the Y rails? I have tried a drop of 3 in 1 but that is just a sawdust magnet. Maybe some wax of some sort?

Anyone that uses anything with success?

Thanks,
Craig

fwharris
02-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi All,

I have looked through the posts and manuals but don't see anything as far as the Y rails. I keep them clean but would think they could benefit from a little lubrication. Is there some kind of "dry lube" that anyone uses on the Y rails? I have tried a drop of 3 in 1 but that is just a sawdust magnet. Maybe some wax of some sort?

Anyone that uses anything with success?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

Wow 5 hrs and no replies!!!

Check out the Jan 2008 tips and tricks, care and maintance of the CW. Page #6 covers your question. Basicly a dry silicone or teflon spray, srayed on a rag and wiped onto the rails. I use alchohol on a rag to clean before relube. You can use mineral spirit too.

c6craig
02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks fwharris!

I couldn't find any Liquid Wrench brand silicone spray as listed in Tips and Tricks.

Is there anything else you guys are using? Brand names etc?

I picked this stuff up the local Lowes, was wondering if it would work?

Thanks,
Craig

Kenm810
02-07-2010, 07:59 AM
In my experience, I've learned that it's best to stay away from Silicone or
Silicone Sprays on tools or machines that are used for wood working or carving.
Any droplets of silicone or airborne partials from aerosol Silicone sprays can settle on surfaces
and remain active for days or even weeks after you use them in your shop.
The Silicone may, and often dose react with many types of stain and finish products,
preventing them from adhering to or penetrating the wood surfaces even
causing a fisheye effect in you top coats where ever the silicone settles.

Just my thoughts, so be careful how and where you use it.

Jeff_Birt
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Indeed caution should be used with any form of lubrication around unfinished wood, that is why I suggested spraying the silicone on a rag and then wiping the rails down. The dispersant in the spray evaporates very quickly, within seconds, so unless you spray it directly on a board there is no chance of it getting there by accidental dripping from inside the machine.

c6craig
02-07-2010, 08:16 AM
So if I just go outside the shop and spray it on a rag and use that to wipe the rails down, is the lubricant I posted good for this? I just want to make sure I dont get any jerky motion in the Y axis like I did on my first machine. It almost seems like it was hitting little pits on the rail...

Thanks,
Craig

CarverJerry
02-07-2010, 08:29 AM
As Ken said about silicone and finishes, he is totally correct and that is why you will NEVER see silicone in a auto body shop. When it first came out it tooks months for bodymen to figure out why their paint jobs were full of fisheyes, and would sometimes make areas of paint jump off the car.

I've picked up some dry lube from Home Depot, I just went and looked, it's called "The Dry Lube" with the letters TDL on it. I used this stuff when I used to do maintenance at Home Depot for their panel saw rails. Worked very well and did not collect any saw dust what so ever.

will george
02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
AS others have stated silicone is a NO-NO around any type of finish.

I have also found that Teflon based products can/will ruin a woodworking finish/project.

Not a perfect answer for you. Just a statement of what I do with sucess. I clean ALL my rails with a air hose (has water removal filter at compressor) at low pressure to remove any dust I can find. This includes working behind the following rollers plastic covers. I then apply a thin wipe of PASTE wax (not a spray wax) applied with a rag. I use wax such as Johnsons, Minwax. As a note, I use paste wax on ALL my metal surfaces in my shop. Big and little tools!

I would say... even using a wipe of 3-IN-ONE oil from a rag would work for you without the oil collecting a large amount of dust. A 'wipe' of oil is much different than dripping off the metal application. I usually clean my tools after a project so I can start fresh for the next.

Just me.

Kenm810
02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Craig,

I don't want to leave you hanging, by telling just what not to use. :razz:

I've been using a Boeshield product called T-9 on nearly all the machines and tools in my shop
for the last few years, and haven't had any bad experiences with it. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.boeshield.com/rust_prevention/tools.php

will george
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Old Service and Marketing man here with no hate to anybody.

I agree with your post. It is just Mineral Oil and a common solvent.

I have only posted this because I have always thought that the MSDS was always available at the original supplier freely?

MSDS:
http://www.theruststore.com/msds/MSDS_T9_Liquid_2005.pdf

The original product:
http://www.boeshield.com/ordering/tech_data.php

I saw this that made me wonder..
For a copy of a particular MSDS contact us...

Mineral Oil is safe and effective for MANY things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Just me again...

fwharris
02-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Craig,

Your teflon spray is way I use. Key point is to spray on a rag to apply it. I use the little spray tube so that I can direct the spray into the ray with out any (or much) over spray. It does not take much on the rag to get the job done.

ruggybear
02-07-2010, 01:12 PM
And while you are at it don't forget the Z rails as well.

c6craig
02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Craig

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2010, 07:24 PM
That Y Jerking as it moves.... I found that because of the flying sawdust sticks to the bottom rail and the sides of rails.... I clean the round rails and still had the problem.... Ran a Brass Wire Brush with mineral spirits along the bottom rail cleaning the flat parts on each side of the round rail did the trick... The flat parts of the round bearings hit the sawdust build up and cause the jerking.

Speaking of Silicone.... I once saw hundreds of Picture Tubes Trashed at Sony as during a maintenance Shutdown, a outside contractor was spraying silicone on a power hacksaw cutting metal... The Airborne Silicone got on the inside of the Picture Tube Glass and even after standard washing in the production line the tubes had Fish Eye's inside in the Red, Green, and Blue Phosphors Screening... There were signs... NO SILICONE.....

AL