PDA

View Full Version : Problem Not Piercing

edva53
02-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm a new user with the STL importer. Machine is not cutting all the way through in places. In designer the back side of the board is pierced except for the manually placed tabs. The machine does pierce all the way through in some places (adjacent to where the tabs are located) and there is a 1/2'' circle in center of carve that it is removing entirely as it should. Rest of perimeter needs to cut about 1/16th inch deeper. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

BBrooks
02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm a new user with the STL importer. Machine is not cutting all the way through in places. In designer the back side of the board is pierced except for the manually placed tabs. The machine does pierce all the way through in some places (adjacent to where the tabs are located) and there is a 1/2'' circle in center of carve that it is removing entirely as it should. Rest of perimeter needs to cut about 1/16th inch deeper. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

It would be helpful if you posted a screen shot or the mpc file itself so that we could help to troubleshoot it but the first time I did one, I forgot to draw a carve region around the multiple slices and make that pierce. Hope that makes sense, it is in the stl manual. I also see you are in Mechanicsville, VA and I am in Glen Allen, VA "just down the road a piece." Glad to know a fellow carver is nearby.
Cheers,

PCW
02-06-2010, 07:44 AM
I would double check your board for cupping. If your board is not perfectly flat you could see what you are describing.

liquidguitars
02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
also run a depth calibration..

LG

edva53
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all of them. Depth calibration helped but didn"t solve the problem totally. Saw a post on another topic that gave me an idea of something to try. I had bit optimization set for best. When I changed bit optimization to none it pierced all the way through.

edva53
02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
To BBrooks: Glad to know there is another local carver to compare notes with.

Happy Carving
Edva53

liquidguitars
02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all of them. Depth calibration helped but didn"t solve the problem totally. Saw a post on another topic that gave me an idea of something to try. I had bit optimization set for best. When I changed bit optimization to none it pierced all the way through.

I been meaning to report this as a bug or just something LHR could need to look into..

LG

TIMCOSBY
02-11-2010, 11:50 PM
a bug. its just the way bit optimizing works. i think it is trying to get the best carve taking into account the 7 degrees of the bit. thats why it didnt go all the way through the bit probably would have caught part of the taller wood beside the peirceing.

liquidguitars
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
a bug. its just the way bit optimizing works. i think it is trying to get the best carve taking into account the 7 degrees of the bit. thats why it didnt go all the way through the bit probably would have caught part of the taller wood beside the piercing.

yes i not saying its is one, however it not working right with the pierced options so its a software design issue.:confused:

LG

RMarkey
02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Make sure you define a region around your project that gives you plenty of room for your 'bit optimization' effect. You said the 1/2" center was fine, so 1/4" around all edges should work for you.

For example, the 3 pictures below are all pierced, but the last two should be very successful.

The first is the object, pierced.
The second is the object with a circle region around it, both pierced.
The third is the object with the circle region, feathered to 1/8", flip feather on, both pierced, 1/8" round tabs added.

Also, when you perform the depth calibration, you can round up to the next 1/256" (+ 0.004"). This helps account for possible rounding from translating numbers on the keypad to machine units.

liquidguitars
02-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Make sure you define a region around your project that gives you plenty of room for your 'bit optimization' effect. You said the 1/2" center was fine, so 1/4" around all edges should work for you.

For example, the 3 pictures below are all pierced, but the last two should be very successful.

The first is the object, pierced.
The second is the object with a circle region around it, both pierced.
The third is the object with the circle region, feathered to 1/8", flip feather on, both pierced, 1/8" round tabs added.

Also, when you perform the depth calibration, you can round up to the next 1/256" (+ 0.004"). This helps account for possible rounding from translating numbers on the keypad to machine units.

Metallus Cool..

I am designing a part now that i am up against the same issue.

I set my board to .50" and added bit optimizing and now the part runs .467" thick. I not realy into adding junk geometry around my pattern to fix it and my test show inconclusive results :)

Also I guess the draw back 2 is that it takes more time to carve with the added junk geometry and reduced raster thickness will not jive with other tools that are depth related?? also visually unappealing to say the least and adding more color zero could add processor slowing thought out the MPC's.

one workaround I have found that could be useful is to add a extra depth thickness to your project board and run jigging.
So if you need a finished part at .50 set your board to 56" then use a sled.

Also, when you perform the depth calibration, you can round up to the next 1/256" (+ 0.004").

So in simple terms if I calibrate off a wood thickness at .76" i could use the number .764" ? this will add a extra 0.004" ? and fix the issue or can i go even deeper?.79" ?

RMarkey
02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
So in simple terms if I calibrate off a wood thickness at .76" i could use the number .764" ? this will add a extra 0.004" ? and fix the issue or can i go even deeper?.79" ?

Yes, you can say 0.764.
I can't stop you from lying to your machine, but I can say that when patterns are generated the depth versus the taper of the bit is taken into account. Faking the depth could ultimately alter the final size of the patterns and make it more difficult to reassemble pieces. Also, since the tip of the bit is what carves the most, it would be unfortunate if the tip hit the metal bar underneath.