PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Duck Decoys?

DUCKS2525
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I am a duck decoy carver and I am interested in purchasing the carvewright & scanning probe. Also I am have been designing in 3D packages for a living now for 15 years. Pro/e, Inventor, Solid Edge & SolidWorks.

My question is:

1. Can I carve a complete duck?
2. My rough block is 4x6x14 long.
3. If I were to rotate the duck in a fixture every 45 degrees and re-program the machine will it pick up from a known point aka 0,0,0 to continue with the duck carving. Reason for this, I know I am limited to the depth of cut and by rotating the piece I can reach the whole part on all sides.

Thanks, for you help!

cnsranch
02-04-2010, 01:05 PM
You'll want to check out the STL 3-D importer - tailor made for what you want...

http://carvewright.com/cms/STLimporter

AskBud
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
A word of warning!
The maximum thickness the CW/CC can handle is 5". Remember this as you consider rotating your stock.

From your post, I presume that you wish to keep the decoy in one solid piece. Therefore STL will not do you any good, as it is to assist you in splitting your project in to several meshing portions.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
02-04-2010, 11:39 PM
into 3/4" slices to carve then glue them together.

TIMCOSBY
02-04-2010, 11:40 PM
into 3/4" slices to carve then glue them together. go to the stl section and look at the space ship...same therory

DUCKS2525
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Could I scan a duck that I have already carved by hand then use that data to make a new duck. When I say rotate the piece, it is the same as the race car fixture. See attached picture! You rotate it into 4 different setups!

cnsranch
02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Could I scan a duck that I have

You could, but you may have to pet him first:D

Sorry.

You'll get a real answer from a much smarter guy than me shortly.

AskBud
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Could I scan a duck that I have already carved by hand then use that data to make a new duck. When I say rotate the piece, it is the same as the race car fixture. See attached picture! You rotate it into 4 different setups!

Yes, if the piece (and Jig) is within the 5 inch limit, it should be possible.
AskBud

CarverJerry
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
So where can one buy a race car jig like the one shown in this posting? Anyone here into this racing team thing?

AskBud
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
So where can one buy a race car jig like the one shown in this posting? Anyone here into this racing team thing?

You might start be sending an eMail to < education@carvewright.com >
or go to this link.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/education/educarve/EduCarveSite_contact.htm

lynnfrwd
02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
FYI on the Car Jig -
There are two main pieces to the CW Racing System – Dragster Series:
the jig, which fits into the CarveWright machine,
& the software, used to import the .stl formatted dragster design.

Students import their .stl car design into the CarveWright Designer Software and upload ready to carve. The wood blank is loaded into the carving jig and carved on one side. After that side is complete, the wood blank is flipped, and the second side is carved. The result; a fully three dimensional dragster car!

Your project would not work on the car jig, there is not enough swing on it and your decoy would end up too small.

The STL Importer is going to be the best route for you and less expensive too!

TIMCOSBY
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
cut you carving into 3/4" slices and scan them taking into acount for the kerf of the blade.