PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Need CraneCams?

cnsranch
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Doing a search for gumbo, and found these two links for CC - don't know if they're still in stock, but if you need it, it's worth a try -

http://azcustomcars.com/product.php?productid=31422

http://autopartsfaster.com/product.php?productid=31422

Also, if you Google "Crane 990021" you'll get a lot more info than searching "CraneCams 90021".

DocWheeler
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Jerry,

I have used this for about a year and it has worked for me.
My machines are "hobby" machines and do not get the use that others may get on their's.

Here is a link (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=moly+graph). At less than $4 for something that will outlast me, it is pretty cheap!

fwharris
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Jerry,

Thanks for the links on the CraneCam. I found another one
http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/order_part.php?item=990021&line=CRA

Now my question, you were looking for "gumbo"? Was that the food or lube?:mrgreen:

cnsranch
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
you were looking for "gumbo"? Was that the food or lube?:mrgreen:

Nope - one of our Junior Members is gumbo:rolleyes:

Rapidroy
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I use Lucas Assembly Lube and so far its working great. I got it at AutoZone its was 4 bucks. I tried the spray CW says to use but it made my cable even hotter! So I tried this lube and after a 2+ hour carve it just gets warm (I've got about 12 hours on this lube so far).
Its a small bottle but you don't need much. I smeared it on the cable lightly and thats it.

rjustice
02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I use Lucas Assembly Lube and so far its working great. I got it at AutoZone its was 4 bucks. I tried the spray CW says to use but it made my cable even hotter! So I tried this lube and after a 2+ hour carve it just gets warm (I've got about 12 hours on this lube so far).
Its a small bottle but you don't need much. I smeared it on the cable lightly and thats it.

Hi Roy,
I found the same symptom. Once you re-lube the shaft will be warmer for an hour or two, then it seems to drop in temperature a lot... So far I have stuck with the Gunk Industrial chain lube with Moly, and it is working well...

Ron

SteveB
04-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi Roy,
I found the same symptom. Once you re-lube the shaft will be warmer for an hour or two, then it seems to drop in temperature a lot... So far I have stuck with the Gunk Industrial chain lube with Moly, and it is working well...
Ron

I have had my carvewright for a day now, and I have done one carving (45 minutes) and it's presently one hour into a ~2 hour carve.

The flexshaft temperature is 100 degrees where the shaft goes into the carvewright motor, and about 100 where it goes down into the spindle. There is a point (where the shaft is most bent) where the temperature registers at 120 degrees with an infrared thermometer.

I lubed the flexshaft with Gunk Chain Lube w/Moly when I received the carvewright yesterday. I soaked it for two hours in lube, let it hang to drip free and then installed it.

Do you think I'm experiencing this temporary temperature increase? Is 120 too hot on the flexshaft?

-Steve

rjustice
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Steve,
I think you are probably ok.. With it being a brand new machine the bearings are tight, and you have minimal clearance in the flex shaft. I think you will find that it will cool down. I would advise though if you didnt wipe the excess off of the flex shaft, you should do so now, and look to see if there is any lube puddling up inside the top hat (where you insert the flex shaft)... If you see any, remove the top hat, and wipe the lube off of the bearing. You dont want it to migrate into that bearing as it will nuke it!

Hope this helps...

Ron

SteveB
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Steve,
I think you are probably ok.. With it being a brand new machine the bearings are tight, and you have minimal clearance in the flex shaft. I think you will find that it will cool down. I would advise though if you didnt wipe the excess off of the flex shaft, you should do so now, and look to see if there is any lube puddling up inside the top hat (where you insert the flex shaft)... If you see any, remove the top hat, and wipe the lube off of the bearing. You dont want it to migrate into that bearing as it will nuke it!

Thanks a lot, Ron!

I don't think any Moly got into the top hat but I will check this afternoon. If it did, I'll wipe it out. Should I put any conventional oil or grease into the bearing to help displace the moly?

-Steve

Kenm810
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Nope Just wipe it and keep it Clean http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

rjustice
04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for jumpin in Ken, I had to slip out and do a Rock Chuck install. I agree with your advice... the bearings are permanently lubed, and are sensitive to too much lube, so you dont want to try to put anything into them, and want to try to keep anything from running down into them...

Happy Carving,

Ron