PDA

View Full Version : Couplle of projects (still learning!)

mike reed
08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
A year ago we purchased a new fifth wheel RV since we like getting away when we can. Obviously we don't like to rough it like we did when we were in our 20s & 30s. :wink: The RV had a really cheap surround setup so it had to go and in with the new and improved version. The entertainment center was made for the small system that was installed. This meant a tearout and remodel to accomodate the new & bigger system. One regret. My wife reminds me but I get engrossed in my work and forget. I didn't take the before pictures. I already had the cabinet gutted when she reminded me to take the pics. Oh well, all I have are the after pics. The old center only had some shelves of 1/4" plywood and a black screen over the bottom section to hid the subwoofer that they just layed on its side to slide around inside. I opted to mount the new sub in the center and build boxes on either side for drawers with carvewright drawer fronts of course.
Also have a sign that I made for my moms camper that she refers to as her traveling Taj Mahal. It was the second project I did on my CW. I got the Taj Mahal image directly off a travel sight on the web.
mike

Aaron B
08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Nice projects Mike, I like the detail in those drawer fronts makes it have a little something special.

How big is the sign and what wood did you use?

mike reed
08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Aaron
Hey I'm not sure exactly what the wood is on the sign. I picked it up years ago someplace. All I can tell you is that it looks much like Zebra wood but it is EXTREEMLY dense. You know how dense and heavy Cocobola is......... well this stuff is like that only the color is this very deep chocolate color that is very nice. Sorry I can't be of more help there but if I ever run across this stuff again you can be sure that I will be buying some of it and remembering the name. This sign was made on the normal setting as well and you can see how slick it turned out. Zero tearout because of the density of the wood. I would dearly love to have a set of pistol grips made of this good stuff. I feel like it is likely an exotic from South America maybe??
later mike

mike reed
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Aaron,
I did a little digging in my records for you and for me because I wanted to find this wood again for future projects. It is called Wenge. I was able to locate it locally here in Houston. I will make a trip some weekend into the big city and check it out.
mike