PDA

View Full Version : Know where this goes?

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
I was blowing my machine out and a plastic part came out. Looks like some kind of cover. The area around the small hole has a split in it. It came out on the side by the display and on the exit side, I think that is where it came out of. Does anyone know for sure what this is, and should I try and put it back where it came from? :confused:

atauer
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
That is one of those items that is commonly referred to by some users as a "WTF is it" part...

The plastic piece in your picture is actually the "Head FFC Retainer". It is used to help hold the 40 pin ribbon cable running from the controller in the base of the machine to the head of the machine. You should probably put it back on the machine. If you need a visual aid of where it goes, you would probably want to read our PDF file on replacing the 40 pin ribbon cable.

40 Pin Ribbon Cable Replacement: http://carvewright.com/images/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_ribbon_cable.pdf

That file will show you where it goes. You don't need to take the cable out of the machine to put it on, but you will probably need to remove the side panel.

PCW
02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Jerry

Here is another view. You will see a Phillips screw and the broken plastic ear will be visible once removed.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/CarveWright%20Machine%20Photos/FDDCover.jpg

atauer
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Nice pic Dan!

Any particular reason you had the side panel off?

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Yep, that's where it goes. If it wasn't for that pic I'd never have found it very easy. You would think there would be a larger dia washer on this piece of plastic to spread the load over that area and not just around that small headed screw. Must have happened when I raised the head up high (but not past the notchs) I have the head up high right now and I can see that the ribbon cable is tight if I put this piece on exactly where it was. Think I will make sure there is just a bit of slack between the top and the bottom, seems to be enough cable to do this. I'm going to also put a thin large washer on this plastic part.
Thank you for the picture and also for the link to the pdf file.

PCW
02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice pic Dan!

Any particular reason you had the side panel off?

Hi Alex,

Long time and good to see ya.

That is a older picture from when I did maintenance at one time on one of the machines. Once it was clean I took some pictures of it from all angles for future reference. I knew they would come in handy one day.

PCW
02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Must have happened when I raised the head up high (but not past the notchs) I have the head up high right now and I can see that the ribbon cable is tight if I put this piece on exactly where it was.

I think that alot of times the machine get bounced around during transit and that part get broke from shipping. Had two machines arrive with that part broke.

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks again, I did the repair and also used a large thin flat washer and made sure everything was back in order. Back up and ready to carve again.
Now that I've been inside this side cover I see where I would make some changes if I were engineering this machine, but I guess that comes from being an engineering machinist for 30 years. Maybe I'll think on an automatic tool changer. I've built automatic parts loaders, not much difference. :p
I'd just build a totally different machine if I were going to go that route. have a great day and thanks again.