PDA

View Full Version : Need Bit Sources

c6craig
02-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi All,

Went to carve the POM this morning and machine #1 freaked out on me, will have to tear that beast down and figure it out when I have more time (close cover issues all of a sudden, sigh).

So now I only have 1 of 3 machines working and that one has the rock chuck on it. I need to buy a few bits that will work with the rock chuck and figured I would see where people are getting theirs. Anybody have a good place for 90 and 60 degree V Bits that will work with the rock chuck? Also the 1/2" classical ogee (sp?) that is used for edge routing...

Preferably someplace online that has next day shipping available....

I don't want to go through tearing up my set screws to get my other bits out and I will need them in the adapters for when this machine works again anyways...

Thanks,
Craig

c6craig
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I see the CW store lists all the bits I need and you can get them w/o adapters, whether they have them in stock or not is a different story.

I have also emailed and PM'd Ron Justice to see if he sources these bits, it would be nice to be able to give him the business and "keep it in the family".

Any other sources appreciated..

Thanks,
Craig

hess
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi All,

Went to carve the POM this morning and machine #1 freaked out on me, will have to tear that beast down and figure it out when I have more time (close cover issues all of a sudden, sigh).

So now I only have 1 of 3 machines working and that one has the rock chuck on it. I need to buy a few bits that will work with the rock chuck and figured I would see where people are getting theirs. Anybody have a good place for 90 and 60 degree V Bits that will work with the rock chuck? Also the 1/2" classical ogee (sp?) that is used for edge routing...

I don't want to go through tearing up my set screws to get my other bits out and I will need them in the adapters for when this machine works again anyways...

Thanks,
Craig

get mine from Northern tools with free ship

also look on e bay under carvewright and go down till you see drillman i has used his before they did ok also if you have a woodcraft near you they may keep on or 2 put back ours does in a drawer up front as you walk in

c6craig
02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks Hess, I will check those.

Does anyone know if there are any issues running regular round shaft bits in the rock chuck? I know the ones from Ron Justice that are made for the rock chuck have a flat on one side for clamping....

Thanks,
Craig

dbfletcher
02-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks Hess, I will check those.

Does anyone know if there are any issues running regular round shaft bits in the rock chuck? I know the ones from Ron Justice that are made for the rock chuck have a flat on one side for clamping....

Thanks,
Craig

Actually the flat isnt desired in the rock chuck. You have to align the flat specifically so it doesnt interfere with the clamping of the rock.

Doug Fletcher

rjustice
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Actually the flat isnt desired in the rock chuck. You have to align the flat specifically so it doesnt interfere with the clamping of the rock.

Doug Fletcher

This is correct!... you DO NOT want to clamp in the flats using the Rock chuck. By orienting the flat towards the hex in the clamp screw, it is locking the bit down on the smooth part of the shank....

Good catch Doug... Thanks for your input...

Ron

rjustice
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig,
I pm'ed you with some info on the "V" tools. As for the setscrews, there are a couple things you can do. Simply heat the screw up with a lighter, and it will break down the loctite, or you can use vice grips on the outside of the screw to get them loose if you break the hex out. I do have setscrews available that have a slightly smaller allen wrench hex in them, that will not break out when you tighten and loosen them if you need some.
You will want to get the loctite residue off of the shank before trying to insert the bit into the Rock Chuck. If you don't, they will feel extremely tight, and hard to get in and out. fine sandpaper, or scotchbrite works well to get it off.

Just giving you some options.

Ron

myshop1044
02-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I see CW sell their 60 deg V bit @42.99
I just picked 2- 60 deg v bit from Egale America and they match in every deminsion for 17.95 each, they have 90, 45, and even 22 deg also.
I got 2 w/shipping for what CW charges. Egale America is a router bit retailer. I'm going to load 1 of the new bits in my adapter and give a wirl.

Myshop1044

Capt Bruce
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I've used Eagle America carbide bits for past 12 years with excellent results in three different routers and high speed router /shaper table unit. Can't beat their prices and reasonable shipping cost. Just my two cents.