PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Flexible Shaft off

bikeaccdnt
01-31-2010, 05:48 PM
I am unable to get the flexible shaft off. Is there a trick to getting it off ? The only reason I need to get it off is for the scanning probe. I read that the scans work better with it off. If thats not the case please let me know.

Thanks for the Replies.

Bikeaccdnt

Kenm810
01-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi bikeaccdnt,

Welcome to the CW Forum

Move the Carving Head and truck to the top of its rails,
grip the flex-shaft just above the top hat connector that it plugs into
and give a sharp tug upward while turning it slightly at the same time.
There is only ball bearings, held by a spring clip into a grove at the end of the flex-shaft sleeve.

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
For now rather than Jerking the Z Truck asking for future bearing problems, you can unscrew the top hat THIS TIME. Then you can rotate the Top Hat and loosen the BB bearing. That Spring Clip holding the BB in can be rotated letting the BB Relax. Careful as many have lost the BB doing this.

Normally a Quick Jerk Up removes the flex but in your case it is better to be cautious.

The Flex gets a notch in it at point where the BB holds it in place.

Good Luck,

AL

rjustice
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
And, for the third option... You can carefully rotate the metal clip holding in the ball bearing, 180 degrees, then the ball will be free, and will allow the shaft to come out easier. Place a towel on the belts in case you drop the ball, it will make it easier to find.

There is a good shot of how to do it this way shown in the Rock Chuck install video. The link is below in my signature.

Hope this helps,

Ron