PDA

View Full Version : Jointing And Squaring

chkorte
01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I can't get my CW to do a jointing operation. I put in a 10" X 10" X 3/4" board and try to square the end and the CW tells me the board is to thick to joint. This has happened more than once and on more than one board and I would really like to solve the problem. Anyone have any thoughts? I tried doing a calibration reset and put in a 36" X 3 1/2" X 3/4" board and the CW chewed the heck out of the end of the board and chewed through the aluminum spring retainer on the slide bar. I formatted the card but I'm still a little leary to try doing that again. Any ideas?

liquidguitars
01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
CW chewed the heck out of the end of the board and chewed through the aluminum spring retainer on the slide bar.

That's bad you have a bad z encoder or loose chuck/bit call LHR..

LG

chkorte
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
I have run one carving through since that happened with no problems and was planning to do another carve today but if you think I should wait and talk to LHR I can.

liquidguitars
01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
I would be careful!

Did you ever replace the z pack? if so check your FCC cable and all wires make sure that the z truck bearing are moving smoothly, to be safe use scrap wood until you find the problem.

LG

Pratyeka
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I can't get my CW to do a jointing operation. I put in a 10" X 10" X 3/4" board and try to square the end and the CW tells me the board is to thick to joint. This has happened more than once and on more than one board and I would really like to solve the problem. Anyone have any thoughts? I tried doing a calibration reset and put in a 36" X 3 1/2" X 3/4" board and the CW chewed the heck out of the end of the board and chewed through the aluminum spring retainer on the slide bar. I formatted the card but I'm still a little leary to try doing that again. Any ideas?

This happened to me once. What version designer are you running? If you are running anything else than the latest 1.53, I recommend you update to it. After updating, I had no trouble doing the calibration.

chkorte
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
This happened to me once. What version designer are you running? If you are running anything else than the latest 1.53, I recommend you update to it. After updating, I had no trouble doing the calibration.

The CW is only 3 months old. It came wth designer 1.153 and I have checked for any updates regularily. I have not replaced the Z truck. When I talked to LHR last week the guy told me that sometimes when you delete projects from the memory card that other things get deleted so I should re-format the card so I did that. Then I loaded a new project and carved it with no problems but it still won't joint. It tells me the board is to thick. I am reluctant to calibrate the CW again after it chewed up the slide bar spring retainer last time.

hogiewan
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I did a rip and joint on a 15/16" board about 6 weeks ago with no problems, so the machine should be able to handle your 3/4" board.