PDA

View Full Version : I tried something new

oldjoe
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
I am not sure if anyone has done this but I made foot stool legs where I wrapped a carving around all four sides of the legs. The one pattern only goes around adjacent sides ( I think that is the right term) where the grooves spiral all the way around. I am not done with the finish yet so it is still rough. And pics are not very good.

c6craig
01-30-2010, 09:05 PM
That's awesome, they came out great!! Can you share a bit about the process? Was it 4 carves and rotating the board 90 degrees in a jig each time?

Thanks,
Craig

oldjoe
01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Actually I did it in 5 carves. Yes I built a jig that held the 4 legs together tightly.
The first carve put on the patterns at the top and the set of lines. Then the next 3 carves I just put in the lines rotating 90 deg. after each run. Then the last carve did the last half of the patterns on the adjacent sides. I wasn't sure if I could have done in just four carves so I played it safe and did it with 5 carves.
It is kind of confusing to try and explain.

RayTrek
01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
OldJoe,
That is neat, I have heard of some thinking about your idea of trying this but I believe you are the first to try it, looks like a very sturdy table/bench or seat. Thanks for sharing the Idea and the results.
Looks Great!
Good on you and cheers ~ Ray

hogiewan
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
your camera should have a macro mode (usually a flower) for close shots like the ones we use on this forum.

CarverJerry
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Nice job, would like to see better pictures tho....how about some shots of your jig also...thanks

oldjoe
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Here I thought "AUTO" meant I didn't have to push other buttons.
Okay lets see if these are better.
Thanks for the macro tip I was using my daughters camera. I still use film.

CarverJerry
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh much better pictures. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Great job.