PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel door design ideas needed

bowfingers
01-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and I am building a large linen closet and I need some ideas for the cabinet doors. I am making raised panel doors out of red oak there will be about 12 doors about 14 inches wide and 26 inches high. I am not looking for someone to do all of the design work for me I just need some ideas to carve into the doors. Has anyone done anything similar, or have any pictures or know any web sites with ideas.
Thanks’ in advance
Denny

DocWheeler
01-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Bowfingers,

I made a cabinet two years ago, still no doors.
I designed them with meaningful script, but did not feel they were just right.
I'm trying them with ovals, recessed (concave), with flowers or similar - if that helps any!

AskBud
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Since us fellas look at this area as "Utility", perhaps we need to ask the "little lady" what she would like to see carved into her area of control. I'm fairly sure that she may want something other that the bear and fish we may choose.

If there is no LOL, i'd ask Sis or Mom.
AskBud

bowfingers
01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes Doc I too have tried a few different ovals and I still am not sure what I want.
Bud if it was up to me I would have carved some wildlife scene on them but the Mrs. Is not to crazy about critters in the bathroom I thought about vines or something similar on the styles or rails but I thought I would ask if anyone had done anything that they were happy with. I have seen many great ideas on this forum I hoped that someone had done something similar to show the “bathroom design supervisor” (The Mrs.)

PCW
01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Denny,

I remember a set of cabinets that Frederick_P did a little while back that sticks out in my mind.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13405&page=2

Pomelle Sapele
01-30-2010, 08:59 PM
I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and I am building a large linen closet and I need some ideas for the cabinet doors. I am making raised panel doors out of red oak there will be about 12 doors about 14 inches wide and 26 inches high. I am not looking for someone to do all of the design work for me I just need some ideas to carve into the doors. Has anyone done anything similar, or have any pictures or know any web sites with ideas.
Thanks’ in advance
Denny

Why not carve some feathers?

They are "linen closet-ish" and a good subject for the CW.

c6craig
01-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Denny,

I remember a set of cabinets that Frederick_P did a little while back that sticks out in my mind.

I think that one sticks out in all of our minds :wink:

Good reference though!

Craig

c6craig
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks’ in advance
Denny

Does your wife have any idea of a "theme" for the bathroom? Once you have that the rest should be pretty easy. We live in Florida and my wife decided on a nautical theme for our master bath, patterns were for the taking once I had an idea of where to go....lighthouses, boat wheels, pelicans, etc.

She did stop me at pirates though.....bah! :twisted:

Good luck,
Craig

Eagle Hollow
01-31-2010, 08:06 AM
This is a pattern I have used on at least a half dozen projects. This one for a kitchen island. Others for wine cabinets.

bowfingers
01-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Dan,
Oh yes Frederick did a great job on his cabinets I had forgotten about them.
Pomelle Sapele,
Feathers would look good carved into the cabinets I really like there looks but the Mrs. Is allergic to feathers and she probably start sneezing just looking at them! (Just kidding on the sneezing)
Craig,
The wife doesn’t have a theme yet that is a very good idea! I am still in the demolition and rebuilding stage in the remodel I just wanted to start getting some Ideas before I start on the doors.
Jerry,
Great work on the island! It looks like oak, how deep did you carve your ovals?

Eagle Hollow
02-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Dan,

Jerry,
Great work on the island! It looks like oak, how deep did you carve your ovals?

Thanks. The depth is 0.375". Yes, it is northern oak.

wasacop75
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
THe LOML wants to cut out the inside of the raised panel doors in the kitchen and add glass. I am so worried about that one. But i have maybe a month or so before it becomes really a problem..

wasacop75
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
THe LOML wants to cut out the inside of the raised panel doors in the kitchen and add glass. I am so worried about that one. But i have maybe a month or so before it becomes really a problem..

and now 1/4 of the way to being an SR....

cnsranch
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Denny,

I looked at that thread and couldn't see any cabinets.....

c6craig
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM

It's one of those trick pictures...if you stare at it long enough you will see the cabinets in the background :)

Craig

PCW
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM

Jerry

I had a hard time finding them the first time too. Frederik has a beautiful wife.:mrgreen:

PCW
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It's one of those trick pictures...if you stare at it long enough you will see the cabinets in the background :)

Craig

Craig,

It is kind of like this picture of the two Mexicans wearing the sombreros.

CarverJerry
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Those cabinets that Frederick did is just out of this world. Really nice job. Not sure how he could get anything done but they look great being displayed by his wife......

dcalvin4
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Craig,

I wonder if the picture would make a good litho?
denny

bjbethke
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I wonder if the picture would make a good litho?
denny
You could give it a try?

Kenm810
02-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe an easier one :wink:

temler
02-03-2010, 06:31 AM
boy those are great picture and the spirit of the trees i loved. keep up the great work.
BUT i got one foot note on doing raised panel cabinet door, the raised panel may fool you and not be real wood, I have came across at least 2 companies that use mdf for the raised panel section of the door and you would not know it unless you cut through the 1/16 veneer face and back or if you take them out of there door frames you can see the MDF just on the edge. the first time i found that was on my wifes cabinet so at least i didn't ruin some one else cabinet. It doesn't look too bad since she just painted the carving, it was real smooth but now wood grain at all, what a surprise to me, never heard of any one doing that before. Just be careful if your doing a job on some one else cabinet and make sure they are wood all the war through. they even make the veneer look like separate board glued together and different wood pattern so it looks like you flipped ever other board. My grandpa would die if he saw this, but he already is gone, maybe he is turning in his grave.
Just thought i would share that tidbit with you. I will post a couple picture if i get the camera working.
Thanks
Tim

bowfingers
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
boy those are great picture and the spirit of the trees i loved. keep up the great work.
BUT i got one foot note on doing raised panel cabinet door, the raised panel may fool you and not be real wood, I have came across at least 2 companies that use mdf for the raised panel section of the door and you would not know it unless you cut through the 1/16 veneer face and back or if you take them out of there door frames you can see the MDF just on the edge. the first time i found that was on my wifes cabinet so at least i didn't ruin some one else cabinet. It doesn't look too bad since she just painted the carving, it was real smooth but now wood grain at all, what a surprise to me, never heard of any one doing that before. Just be careful if your doing a job on some one else cabinet and make sure they are wood all the war through. they even make the veneer look like separate board glued together and different wood pattern so it looks like you flipped ever other board. My grandpa would die if he saw this, but he already is gone, maybe he is turning in his grave.
Just thought i would share that tidbit with you. I will post a couple picture if i get the camera working.
Thanks
Tim

Tim,
Thanks for the note on the MDF I didn’t know they were making raised panels that way. I am making the doors myself and I will be using solid wood.
Denny

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Ken, that spirit of the trees is really cool. Showed that to the wife, who is a tree hugger, and she said "You have to carve that for ME, and don't you even think about giving it away" She liked it too. :mrgreen:
Do you have any other tree pics or vector ones?

Good job.

Kenm810
02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Jerry

Photos like that one, always grab my attention too,
I can dig around my flies to see what else I find,
I'll post them over in the Gallery if I do.

CarverJerry
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
ok, thanks Ken

temler
02-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Craig,

My brain doesn't work some of the time but i did finally find them, i just love this picture. thanks for sharing this one and thanks for all the other but I think this will help those that are as slow as me.

bowfingers
05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Well I have made some progress on the doors for the linen closet. We have tried several ideas and we went with a “flowing pattern” We used an Ivey pattern to border the 12 doors that make up the closet, the three doors on the right are just panels. It took a lot of time carving and sanding but it is almost completed, I still need to put up the trim. I made the door out of red oak and used a golden oak stain on them and topped them with spar polyurethane.
I hope the picture big enough to see it was hard to get all of the doors in one picture The cabinet is about 6 feet wide and 7 feet tall (not enough room for my camera) thanks for the help guys!
Denny

SharonB
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Danney... I marvel at all the design time and work you must have gone through in order for your door patterns to flow so nicely together. That's one job to really be proud of. SharonB

DocWheeler
05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Denny,

Great job, quite a wall you have there.
My doors are still in pieces but getting close to assembly.
I dread the drilling for the euro hinges, I can see myself drilling too deep.

Thanks for posting!

bowfingers
05-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Denny,

Great job, quite a wall you have there.
My doors are still in pieces but getting close to assembly.
I dread the drilling for the euro hinges, I can see myself drilling too deep.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks Doc, I too was leery about drilling for hinges. I got my euro style hinges trough Rockler and I also got a hinge cup drill jig. It worked great! I set up the depth on my drill press once and drilled all the holes no problem. Except one screw hole came through a carving but it was easy to fix.